Home

Yoda's Swamp Technical Support Center

Joetheeskimo

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, my video card died on my desktop. I can go out and spend $150 on a new AGP card, but I think I will wait on it. It's been too long since I've had a complete rebuild. So, I'm going to do my best and move all of my photos and music onto my biggest drive and put it into an external case. This leaves me with a few questions:

Is there a case that is better than others or are they ll pretty much the same?

Since I'm looking to rebuild early next year, is there anything that is coming along that I should know about?

I'm only beginning to think about what I might want. I've seen some stuff on whats out now, but I haven't really kept up. I think I will drop $1k (at least) on what a I want to use it for. I think I'm leaning more towards a designer/developer machine with a limited amount of gaming. Any thoughts would be great.

Well, my video card died on my desktop. I can go out and spend $150 on a new AGP card, but I think I will wait on it. It's been too long since I've had a complete rebuild.

Yes, as it would be much wiser to make the jump to PCI-E.

You don't have to spend $150. When you're about to buy a GPU, I advise you to visit

http://www.tomshardware.com/us/

Every month they have an article listing the best GPU's in different price ranges, so as to get the best price for your buck. A great guide.

Yes, as it would be much wiser to make the jump to PCI-E.

You don't have to spend $150. When you're about to buy a GPU, I advise you to visit

http://www.tomshardware.com/us/

Every month they have an article listing the best GPU's in different price ranges, so as to get the best price for your buck. A great guide.

Thanks for the link. I'll start looking at it when I'm ready to build.

• 4 weeks later...

What card did you have?

I've got an AGP slot and I've recently bought a GeForce 6800 for $70, great price and great performance cause the memory bandwidth is huge (23Gb/s for this particular model: XFX 128Mb GeForce 6800) and it's got lots of shader processing power (12 pixel pipes and 5 vertex ones I think), plays all my games (KotOR, Jade Empire, SW Battlefront, EaW, NWN 2, etc...) at good framerates (30FPS or more) at 1024x768

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay, I'm getting a new puter! This is the setup I'm looking at:

AOpen ES45C Case, w/350W PSU

Asus P5Q Mobo

Corsair TWIN2x DDR2-800 2048MB (2x1024MB) Ram

Gainward GeForce 9800 GT (512 mb) Graphics card

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3 ghz) Processor

Samsung SH-S223F DVD-writer

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1 TB HD

This should be enough for a decent gaming tower, yes? Is 350W enough, or should I get a different case with a separate SPU (more expensive)?

I approve of the Sonata III's power supply (and yes, it powers my rig rather well). It's a good one all by itself, easily worth $90. I'm using a 140w processor, two SATA HDDs, a Radeon 4870, a SATA DVD combo drive and two case fans. No problems here. A 350w power supply might be iffy, though, so check the requirements of your hardware.

And though they may work at first, it's quite possible that you'll be replacing it in 6 months, so I too would go with a new PSU.

My second to last rig that I built I used a stock PSU that came with the case and I had to replace it in less than 10 months. But my current computer has a separate PSU that has been working wonderfully for well over a year.

A 350w power supply might be iffy, though, so check the requirements of your hardware.

350w was iffy when 6600GT's where the bomb. You're gonna need at least 400w.

Also, since when did 9800GT's become cheap as ****? $130-150? I thought those things cost $350+ last time I checked...

Archived