Home

Yoda's Swamp Technical Support Center

Joetheeskimo

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually I was sorta talking about LAN DHCP and LAN static IPs, but its irrelevant now because he's actually entirely losing the connection, and not just .."partially" losing it.
Most routers' "DHCP server" just assigns a random address within the IP address range. It's usually only needed for open wireless networks so that the administrator doesn't have to assign IPs to everyone who wants to connect.

Y'know I don't mean to rain on the moderating parade, but wouldn't your post be more effective at the top like it was before you unstickied your new thread and merged it with this thread? >_>

Just a thought. :D

Of course it would, unfortunately, when you merge threads, this happens. I can delete posts, edit posts, and add posts anywhere I like, but one thing I cannot do is control WHERE the post will wind up. Only admin have those groovy powers.

Now STFU, and quit spamming the thread! :mad:

Hehehe! A sticky thread with my name on it! :D

I have a computer hardware problem, if anyone is smart with hardware read this post. I'm sort of desperate. Those guys just posted two not-so-helpful posts and then forgot about it.

EDIT: Groovy, do you want my first post to say what your post said ("Post your technical problems here")?

Hehehe! A sticky thread with my name on it! :D

I have a computer hardware problem, if anyone is smart with hardware read this post. I'm sort of desperate. Those guys just posted two not-so-helpful posts and then forgot about it.

EDIT: Groovy, do you want my first post to say what your post said ("Post your technical problems here")?

What happens when you unplug all your drives and sound cards/video cards and you attempt to power up? It's probably the power supply.

If you're still stuck. Try this guide: http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/ps4.htm

I would believe it's the power supply.

Joe, the PSU is where the plug goes into the computer. All you do is unplug all the cables (you might want to take a picture of where all the plugs are, so you don't miss any), and unscrew the old one and take it out. Then screw the new one in and plug it all back in. I recently did it when I got my new vid card, and it's quite easy. Took about a half an hour at most.

Also, be sure you get one not only with good Wattage, but good amperage as well. I believe I was told to make sure you have at least 20A on the 12+ rail.

It works!!!!!

Thanks for solving my problem magic man

*wanders off to watch highly concentrated amounts of WIN and GOD finally*

Fix'd.

I actually do have a question too. Does anyone know the difference between a regular SLI-certified power supply and a 7800 GTX 512/7900 GTX SLI-certified power supply? Apparently I was supposed to have gotten a special PSU for my dual 7800 GTX 512s, which I didn't (although it still started up for quite some time, abeit the occasional crash, which I may have falsely attributed to overheating).

PSU list(s): http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone2_build.html#certified_powersupplies

***Edit***

Nevermind, the 900 watt one I got had a 72 amp +12 volt rail, and none of the other 7800 GTX 512/7900 GTX PSUs had less than 60 amp +12 volt rails.

Okay, so I wake up this morning and my friend IMs me saying that his computer has gone to hell. Seeing as I helped him build it, he came to me for help. He was in New York for a paintball tournament for about 2 weeks, and the entire time his computer was switched off, except for when his older brother (who is very tech savvy) borrowed it for a LAN party, and didn't do anything to the hardware or install any software, he just played games. So now, my friend comes home and switches on his computer. His monitor remains blank, and a voice over the speakers says "System has failed VGA test"

His specs are:

Xfx nVidia 6800 Xtreme

AMD 64 3200+ Socket 939

Asus A8n-SLI Delux

500 Watt ATX Power Supply

1 gig Buffalo Select Ram

250 gig Maxtor Hard Drive.

Please, I have never seen this problem before, and on other forums I have seen countless people saying it's for different reasons. Please, have any of you gotten this message and fixed it? If so please help!

UPDATE: After jiggling the video card he started up the computer and ran in safemode. It loaded windows and was working fine. Then he restarted it and pressed f8 and told it to run normally. It started loaded up windows and went to the logo startup screen. Then it gave him a blue screen and restarted almost instantly before you could read the whole message. And after restarting it loaded up again. Went to the windows logo, and you got the blue screen again. He says it says something along the lines of "Starting physical memory dump, memory dump complete, please seek assistance." So after it restarts it just loads again and restarts, going on indefinately.

Wally, if nobody answered it most probably means that nobody knows the answer to your problem. Since the computer was working fine before the said LAN, I assume something must have happened to it during the LAN or more likely during transportation of the PC.

I suggest your friend first makes sure all the connections are fine, that no wires have burned or anything and then try it again. While he's at it, he might wants to clean the dust from the casing if he doesn't do it regularly, it's surprizing how many problens dust can cause :p. The video card might even have been damaged. My best advice though, is to call or email nVidia customer service and tell them about the problem. Checking the user's manual or Troubleshooting to see if the problem is covered.

Thanks Coupes, while he's done most of that, I'm not sure if he's chcked for burnt wires. It's interesting though because his computer is only about a month and a half old, and it normally runs very VERY cool (4 fans, very nice heatsink, and Artik Silver 5, I believe).

I think he's going to take it to some computer support center in the area, so we'll hopefully fine out soon.

Well, my PC is pretty cool as well, but I did get a burned wire once. The wire must have burned on startup because I never had any problem with the computer until I shut it down and booted it up again. So I guess it had nothing to do with heat, perhaps a power surge or a short circuit, I don't really know, but man did I wonder what the problem was until I noticed a tiny bunred part on the underside of the wire, I switched it up and my video card was up and runnig again.

except for when his older brother (who is very tech savvy) borrowed it for a LAN party, and didn't do anything to the hardware
It's never doing *nothing* to the hardware if you're going to move it.

I sometimes had the problem that my computer at work didn't boot the next day after it worked perfectly like forever and I shut down the PC just like I do every day. No software was installed nor happened anything hardware related before the last shutdown. It didn't even get to the POST screen (the monitor just stayed blank) or simply stopped after the POST screen. Or I got a BSOD during the boot process. Err, but I didn't bother to go into safemode, because I don't think it'll be useful if nothing happened to the system itself.

Solution: I just switched memory banks or another time just took the memory out cleaned the contacts and put it back. I needed to do the same for the VGA once.

I'd say corrosion is the keyword here.

Hey guys I need yout help. my mom just bought a new Compaq Presario and I was making sure it had all of the updates last night. When it goes to boot, it just hangs on the big red Compaq logo forever. It takes about 5 mins to get to one of the bios setup menus. My brother switched around the boot process. It was looking for a floppy that doesn't exist but it didn't speed it up. It didn't take this long to boot the first time I turned it on. Started going slow only after I updated XP. WIndows runs great once it boots. Any way to speed this up or does Compaq suck that much?

Boot Process:

CD Rom

HD

Network Group

4th Option disabled

System Specs:

AMD 3200+

512mb Ram

120 gig HD

Archived