Home

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Curt-Man

Fun and engaging, but missing a lot from the first movie.

Some questionable actions by characters.

This is the Matrix Reloaded of Pirates. :(

The next one is bound to end with it being revealed as all a fairy tale. :indif:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Review of sorts

I really enjoyed the movie, but the characters didn't really "move" at all. The friction between Will and Jack isn't as enjoyable, because it isn't really there, since both characters have warmed up against each other. Elizabeth does more independent things, but is stuck between her good girl to pirate girl phase. Bill Turner is alive, which is good, considering that as soon as I saw the first one, I thought "How come bootstrap isn't in here, he would've of died because he was cursed too". The movie seemed very drawn out, and I would've been much happier with about a two-hour sequel, instead of the 2 and 1/2 hour one that we get. The humor in this movie isn't as relieving as in the first one, since it was genuinely needed, to contrast the darker parts. But this film seems to be incomplete, since it was split into two, and I won't really know how I feel until I see "At World's End" next summer.

Well I hope it doesn't either...

Chow Yun Fat is a pirate in the next one, should be good.

The problem with this movie was that there was just TOO MUCH betrayal. You didn't know who the hell to root for, and the Captain is a hell of a lot less likeable in this movie. The plot was also rather convoluted, but that's how it is I suppose when you are stuck in the middle movie. I'd hate to be the sucker who has to make the middle movie in a trilogy. :p

speculation abound that tia dalma (black witch lady) is Davy's lover as they share identical lockets. neat.

Also, while the first 45 minutes were enjoyable, they had little to nothing to do in the development of the story :p

I wish they would have just killed Norrington in the first movie, he's annoying as hell. And WTF Barbossa is back ugh cmon, did NOBODY die in the first movie?!

also I hate where Elizabeth's love triangle thing is going. Should be Will, Will, and just Will. Don't need to sluttify her character by making her question herself with Jack. It's ridiculous. She's already left Norrington (because he wasn't who she loved) but she loves Will AAGH that angers me :p

I've seen it twice already, I saw the midnight showing and then again yesterday :D

I loved it, definitely better than the first. They really left you at a cliffhanger, but it just makes me want to see the 3rd one when it comes out even more.

I think I do like it better than the first one at well. Yes it was darker, and there was a lot of betrayal, but I think it needed that. What people don't realize was this movie was NOT about Elizabeth and Will, it was about Jack Sparrow. Specifically Jack Sparrow's internal conflict.

Just saw it today. I thought it was pretty good, but not as good as the first. The flow of the movie seemed rushed to me, and the whole cannibal island bit, though entertaining, could have been cut entirely. But the CGI was amazing, with Davy Jones and his crew, the Kraken, and probably something else I forgot. :p

I just saw Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest last night, and I have decided that this sequel failed to top the first one. There's just too much information to cram into this one; being a cliffhanger doesn't help; Johnny Depp's character, in my opinion, has changed; and Disney plainly just made it unbelievable. The only scene that bothered me in the first movie is when Jack and Will went underwater with that boat which is impossible.

When things just went way too unrealistic for me, the movie had a hard time captivating me. Those crazy flips Jack did with that log tied to his back... Yeah it was funny but you gotta keep true to the real world. Then he should've died or broken some bones at that fall. Then Davy Jones and his crew... Can't say I liked the completely CG animated aquatic humanoids much. It got better when they finally told us that they were once human. The long sword fight between Will and Norrington while on a spinning wheel... Jack gets eaten by the Kraken, but you know Jack can't die since he's Disney's money maker for the next sequel. Then what the hell, let's throw in Barbossa at the end!

I'm the kinda guy who goes for those believable movies. For example the movie Spider-Man included a great story with a scientific reason why Parker became the wicked awesome superhero. They didn't make it stupid like Daredevil though. Giving it that real world feeling makes movies so much better (with the exception of scifi movies in which they make a new world).

I just saw Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest last night, and I have decided that this sequel failed to top the first one. There's just too much information to cram into this one; being a cliffhanger doesn't help; Johnny Depp's character, in my opinion, has changed; and Disney plainly just made it unbelievable. The only scene that bothered me in the first movie is when Jack and Will went underwater with that boat which is impossible.

Actually... going under water with a boat is completely possible... well at least, creating an air pocket as they do is... And wouldn't you say that the entire thing with the Undead ship's crew is pretty unbelievable? I mean.. this is DISNEY we're talking about.

There is no way to pull a boat like that underwater. Have you ever tried to hold a beach ball underwater? It comes up due to the force of water pushing the less dense air to the top. The principle is the same with this boat. It would probably take a 2 ton man with uncanny strength to hold that boat that far underwater. And for the ghost ship, for anything, they have to make it believable. Disney did a good job in Curse of the Black Pearl with a story that didn't make the living undead sound stupid.

Well I think what they were doing in Dead Man's Chest they also tried to make pretty believable. The entire point is that the people in there have become kind of "one with the sea" if you know what I mean. Hence why Davy Jones said "I AM the sea."

But whatever, it's all just a matter of preference.

Yes, like I said in the spoiler: They were once human. Yes it's my preference, but they didn't do good enough this time IMO. Watch not to give anything more away. Use the spoiler vBcode "[ spoiler ] Type spoiler here. [ /spoiler ] without spaces between the brackets.

Johnny Depp's character, in my opinion, has changed

I completely understand why you say this but,

I think that in essence he hasn't really changed at all. All Jack Sparrow really wanted was to look out for number 1, and to be captain of the Black Pearl. In this movie, he does everything he can to maintain both of those. The only reason he really helped out Will and Elizabeth in the first movie is because by helping them he was helping himself regain his ship. Personally, I don't think his character will truly change until the deneument of the third film.

Even though he looked out for number one, he'd never let someone innocent fall for him to be number one. That's what changed about him in this movie, cause even though he bluffs with Davy Jones about leaving Will, it's not the same as him bluffing for something else because Will actually gets put through some crap. Also, that trap at the beginning for Will "tell him you came to settle my debt" is bollocks because what IF Davy had said "ok, you're on my ship for 100 years. cya jack, thanks for the kid." You don't know Davy wouldn't; you could make the argument that Jack knew his soul was worth more than Will's or whatever, but it's still very very cold and out of character in my opinion. Will's got every freakin right to stab him. :p

Also; Elizabeth's kiss is also crap imo, that's cold as hell.

Basically my friend sums up this movie well - everyone turns evil

And about my "overstatement" - Matrix Reloaded was an "ok" film that fell into the sequel syndrome. In my opinion, Dead Man's Chest is also a victim of sequel syndrome, albeit to a lesser extent. Where the original I'd have given a 9/10, this merits a 7/10. :p

Captain Jack Sparrow's goals haven't changed. Yes, he's always looked out for numero uno, but his character, Depp's perception of the character, I believe has changed. He is trying to hard to be funny now. Instead, of the more enjoyable witty humor we loved from Sparrow in the first movie, we saw it turn into stupid humor in DMC. Yet, he's still cool. I just hope I see more of the old Sparrow in the third sequel...

and Keith Richards as his father! lol!

Archived