Home

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Curt-Man

For example the movie Spider-Man included a great story with a scientific reason why Parker became the wicked awesome superhero. .

Scientific reason? Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider. If you need that sort of rational for believability, then just assume Captain Jack had sex with a radioactive hooker off the bay of Bikini Atoll.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though he looked out for number one, he'd never let someone innocent fall for him to be number one.

Please, that's just you projecting your own desires for his character onto him. I believe he himself summed it up pretty well in the first one. "Pirate!" Sure, he's not interested in mindless slaughter so much, but if somebody's gotta go down for him to survive, so be it.

Of course, he really IS a good man underneath it all, and we occasionally see glimmers of that.

Guys, guys, guys. I mentioned that I liked scifi in addition to "believable" movies (that don't mess with physics and maintain the same laws of the world IF they are in our world.) In the Matrix, they explained everything...who, what, why, when, where, how. Now, let's stay on topic. What makes you think that's air under that boat when you see that shot anyway? They could've easily added visual effects god knows what. And the shot with them inside talking, could've actually been taken at the surface of water with the boat on top of them. I really don't know how they filmed that one, I'm just guessing. Keep that in mind. OK, someone said they've actually tried this. Will someone else find a boat and pull it underwater for me in their own pool?

I've done that air-in-a-boat trick before. I used to do it with the tubes that have bottoms and aren't just big rubber donuts. And that was when I was like 6 and ****. So I'm sure 2 full grown men, one a blacksmith who is obviously in good physical condition and one who is a pirate who has to be in good physical condition could do it with a small boat. So yes it is possible.

Especially as opposed to, oh lets say, being bitten by a radioactive spider and getting anything more than a weak case of blood poisoning.

You mean you haven't tried the radioactive spider trick?? ;)

I took my girlfriend to see it, who hasn't seen the first one, thinking it wouldn't matter as it would basically be a fun comedy action romp. I wasn't expecting it to be 3 hours long, or darker and more violent, or to have an ending that required having seen the first one, or to basically be a backtothefuture2-style film with no real ending. Now i need to buy the first one so my girlfriend knows what the heck the ending was about!

It was still a funny action romp... though the plot and pacing were kind of a mess, and i don't think it needed to be quite so darn long. Jack is getting dangerously close to being annoying, but still just about managed to pull it off for the whole movie. And the action scenes were funny and actiony enough to make up for the uneven plot and long length.

I think whether this is a good film or not will entirely depend on whether the 3rd one is good. It has Chow Yun Fat, so that is a bonus... but it has a heck of a lot of stuff to resolve and that is worrying. May suffer from havng too many character arcs and plots to resolve.

Davey jones, jack's return, will's dad, norrington, elizabeth's love triangle, elisabeth's dad, east india company, barbosa, etc... plus trying to fit in ANOTHER new character in CYF's pirate.

Why the heck did they go back to the witch at the end? That made no real sense.

The CGi was very nice tho. In all it was good, but not as good as the first one... though if the 3rd one manages to bring it all together then that will boost it's value.

it was a safe haven, toms, they're "up river" and the Kraken can't get em.

ET:

I disagree, I know we only see glimmers of him being a good man, but where in his history have we seen him truly let one of his own go? *shrugs* maybe I am projecting my interpretation of him a bit too much, that I'll agree with. But not enough for me to get truly wound up about his altruistic tendencies versus his pirate lifestyle. :p

The only other thing that kind of bothered me was the sequel jokes that refer to the original movie. I mean, I know they're necessary, but meh.

I'm going to see it again eventually; maybe it'll merit an 8 this time. :p

Davy Jones is hardcore though. :p

Please, that's just you projecting your own desires for his character onto him. I believe he himself summed it up pretty well in the first one. "Pirate!" Sure, he's not interested in mindless slaughter so much, but if somebody's gotta go down for him to survive, so be it.

Of course, he really IS a good man underneath it all, and we occasionally see glimmers of that.

Well you ahve to remember in the first movie when they are in the Cave for the first time and Elizabeth is about to pay with her blood, he is waiting for the "opertune moment." I almost get the feeling that if Jack hadn't wiped him out with the oar, AND they had decided to spill all Elizabeth's blood instead of just cutting her wrist, he may have waited to long. Because you gotta admit, he was cutting it preeetty close...

I've done that air-in-a-boat trick before. I used to do it with the tubes that have bottoms and aren't just big rubber donuts. And that was when I was like 6 and ****. So I'm sure 2 full grown men, one a blacksmith who is obviously in good physical condition and one who is a pirate who has to be in good physical condition could do it with a small boat. So yes it is possible.

Dude there is no way... unless the boat was heavier than buoyancy exertion. But then if that was the case, then the boat wouldn't even float in the first place. The further beneath the surface, the greater the water pressure, compressing the air in its container. With a large air pocket like that trapped inside a wooden boat 100ft beneath the surface, there is no physically possible way to achieve it with two men. Not even two Buddhas. So if you were using a boat that doesn't float in the first place, I believe you. Or you may be just talking about hiding under an upside boat floating at the surface.

Neo, you can delete your own posts.

I saw this yesterday, and thought it was great. I thought it was just as good as the first one, but then again, I'm not some film critic using big words to sound smarter. It's all about entertainment.

I liked the little humor tidbits. "Now where's that dog with the key." And the parts with the dead monkey were fun.

Jack Sparrow rules, and can't wait til next year.

I liked the little humor tidbits. "Now where's that dog with the key." And the parts with the dead monkey were fun.

That's one thing that I've been wondering about. If the monkey because undead in the first place, then that means it must have "stolen" a piece of the Aztec treasure, no? And that means, since the curse WAS lifted in the end, then the piece he stole had to have been brought back and his blood would have had to been paid. So why is he still undead? Is there a logical reason for this and I'm missing something? Or is it just purely for comic relief?

Wally, I just figured this out just a few days ago, but watch the clip after the credits of the first movie. It actually shows Jack the monkey taking a piece of the Aztec gold. Neat huh?

Sorry, SWP. Guess I missed the delete button when I edited it. I'm still quite new to the forums. Somehow I remembered this username's password from 3 years ago just last week.

Supposedly if you stayed after the credits, you get to see that dog as the tribe's meal or something along those lines. I hate myself for not staying.

For those who haven't seen the new movie yet, if you wanna see a little extra clip, then stay after the credits.

Wally, I just figured this out just a few days ago, but watch the clip after the credits of the first movie. It actually shows Jack the monkey taking a piece of the Aztec gold. Neat huh?

Sorry, SWP. Guess I missed the delete button when I edited it. I'm still quite new to the forums. Somehow I remembered this username's password from 3 years ago just last week.

Supposedly if you stayed after the credits, you get to see that dog as the tribe's meal or something along those lines. I hate myself for not staying.

For those who haven't seen the new movie yet, if you wanna see a little extra clip, then stay after the credits.

OH RIGHT! Now I remember that part. It makes a lot more sense now. Oh, and the secret scene at the end of the credits is nothing at all important, in fact the people I was with were like "WOW, you held us behind to see THAT???"

What was up with the monkey? I could've swore Jack shot him in the cage at the end but he was still alive. Maybe his being alive could explain why Barbossa was alive as well? When we see Barbossa at the end, he eats the apple, so he must not be cursed anymore...

Barbosa was alive because he had already done what Will and the crew were setting out to do for Jack, I'm assuming it's sail from hell. Because the witch lady said that they need a captain who had already sailed those waters, and that is the only reason for his being alive that makes sense.

What was up with the monkey? I could've swore Jack shot him in the cage at the end but he was still alive. Maybe his being alive could explain why Barbossa was alive as well? When we see Barbossa at the end, he eats the apple, so he must not be cursed anymore...

The monkey is still alive because at the end of the first movie, after the credits, he steals a piece of the aztec gold. The entire second movie the monkey is still undead.

The monkey is still alive because at the end of the first movie, after the credits, he steals a piece of the aztec gold. The entire second movie the monkey is still undead.

but if the monkey took a coin, then doesn't that set the curse again for all the other pirates? Cause in the first movie, they need all the coins returned to undo the curse for everyone, and they all returned their coins except for the one from bootstrap bill, yet they were still cursed, so if the monkey took one at the end, then wont that mean all those pirates became cursed again?

Do we really need all the spoiler tags for the backstory of a MONKEY??? ;)

I'm glad i didn't force my girlfriend to wait until after the credits... i knew there was another scene and i thought it might be something important like X-men... but in the endi decided against it. Sounds mildly funny, but i doubt i'd have been that popular for making us wait just for that!

I still think the ednig felt tacked on.

One minute they were escaping the kraken in a little boat.. then suddenly cut to them being up a spooky river at the witch's place again. It felt like we'd missed a scene.

If they had thought "who might know how to bring jack back? oh, i know! That witch!" then it might have made sense. But that was her idea. Its more like they thought "hey, we've escaped the kraken.. where shall we go now? Oh, how abot that really spooky hut up a spooky river that we all thought was spooky??!"

Will is also appearing remarkably dumb for agreeing to save jack.. after jack stiched him up repeately, tried to kill him, and then kissed his girl. I guess maybe he thinks jack saved them at the end.. but still. You'd think he'd be more concerned with finding the heart, keeping his oath and freeing his poor dad from an eternity of torment. Kids...

It did seem at times to be a bit too desperate and self concious in trying to recreate the magic of the first one.

Archived