Home

TSL: Past the Glory Days?

The_Maker

Well, I've been lurking around here for a while (yes, HL2 is THAT addicting :p) and it just seems to me that the Kotor scene is starting to die out. Don't get me wrong, TSL, and is prequel are excellent games, but how long can something stay great because of it's 'freshness' and 'recent arrival' ? The first game is now about 3 years old and still going, the second one is about 2. Does anyone here still play TSL or it's prequel due to the gameplay or a certain aspect or is it losing it's charm for you as it is me? I think the real death of the Kotor series (or the modders and guys like me at least) is when PCGM encountered a full hard drive, and after about 2 weeks of no reply from the website administrator things started to slow down. Not die, but slowly calm down from the energy that it once held. I think the main thing that kept 50% of the people here (from 05 that is) was the mods being churned out for both of the games, it added to the replay value(s). At first I interpreted this as just the Winter Finals and Holidays slowing down the kotor online community, but it's already July, and summer is for the most part half way through. There have been few (if any) high quality mods within the last 2 months which convinces me that Kotor has finally bitten the bullet and sooner or later will collect dust. Perhaps things are just not as active as they once were, perhaps things are past their point of use, I am unsure.

What does everyone here think?

Does anyone here still play

I've just been extremely burnt out on the games from over play, the community (no offence intended to the over-sensitive types here), just..... all of it. IDK, maybe when/if the 3rd games announced I'll get back into things, or when enough times passed that I don't get seriously fed up with **** in the previous 2 I'll go for another play through, & things will seem "fresh" again. If that makes any sence.

I wasn't much of a gamer when Kotor 1 came out, but I played it and enjoyed it and then put it away. When TSL came out I was getting overloaded with games by my then-bf and only played that once and put it away... Only in the last couple months have I gotten hooked on replaying the game, and it has a lot to do with the modding community -- I was familiar with modding the Elder Scrolls games but for some reason didn't think that Kotor could be modded (I suppose since the modding tools are unofficial). So.... now I'm nuts about learning how to do all of this, and enjoying the forums community. Kind of sad if things are cooling off, since I just got here! But by the time the third game comes out I guess I'll be a old pro and better able to participate.

Well, like every other video game there's only a certain number of times you can play them and still be interested. The LS/DS and male/female PC choices make for a lot of replay value but ultimately, interest will continue to slowly wane until (crosses fingers) KotOR III comes out. It's the way of everything. That doesn't take anything away from the games or the modding/fanfic communities, that's just the ADD-obsessed/newer/faster/better/hey-there's-a-new-shiny-object-over-there world that we live in.

Well, I'm playing Morrowind right now otherwise I'd probably still be playing one of the two KotOR games. The guy that did the music for Morrowind also did the music for KotOR and the similarities are disconcerting. So much so that I'm starting to get the itch for another KotOR playthrough. Guess I'll have to finish all those TSL mods I was working on though :(

Well, I'm playing Morrowind right now otherwise I'd probably still be playing one of the two KotOR games. The guy that did the music for Morrowind also did the music for KotOR and the similarities are disconcerting. So much so that I'm starting to get the itch for another KotOR playthrough. Guess I'll have to finish all those TSL mods I was working on though :(

Jeremy Soule is great. He did music for NWN, too (as well as a ton of other games I haven't played). I like playing through the .mp3s when I'm working/browsing.

As much as I may get slammed for it, yeah.. I do think KotOR I & II is past the "glory day" stage. A game can only hold it's luster for so long (not counting the fanboys/girls :xp: )

I still haven't re-installed either game since my re-format, and it may be awhile before I do. Currently I'm playing Oblivion, but I'm even getting tired of that game.. go figure..

Just holding out till NWN2 or Dragon Age, and of course, a KotOR III (please).. hehehe

Doesn't mean I won't play the KotOR series again, there's some games that will always hold a place with people.. and K1 is one of those games for me. As well as the NeverWinter Nights series of games & modules...

I wouldn't be surprised to find myself firing up those games later on as well, but with any gamer.. I would think you're always looking for something new to play (or mod) ;)

I have to say i concur with Chainz that the glory days are probably past, i will still play both of them however, ive yet to play kotor darkside (i dont like being mean to people even if they are only computer game people) but will do that at somepoint

That said im just getting into the whole modding area - mainly as im itching to play the sith lords again, but dont want to untill the restoration project is finished. TSL is one of those games i could play over and over again, i played TSL before kotor, so even though i know the story etc is better in kotor, my heart prefers TSL - also one of the male PC's looks like me.... vain i know!

Doesn't mean I won't play the KotOR series again, there's some games that will always hold a place with people.. and K1 is one of those games for me. As well as the NeverWinter Nights series of games & modules...

I wouldn't be surprised to find myself firing up those games later on as well, but with any gamer.. I would think you're always looking for something new to play (or mod) ;)

Heck, I still occasionally play X-Wing and Tie Fighter! Even Total Annihilation, and they are all well past their "Glory Days". ;)

True, I also still (very rarely) play Total Annihilation and Rogue Sqaudron (N64 ftw!)/ So I suppose that the Kotor series won't ever die from lack of nostalgia, but it is for sure starting to age and settle into the dust. It's kind of funny how great games can go on for decades even though they are unmeasureabley (sp?) old... yet for some they still hold value, like Pacman, or Galaga.

Heck, I still occasionally play X-Wing and Tie Fighter! Even Total Annihilation, and they are all well past their "Glory Days". ;)

Yes, I'm with you there, but I don't see the same thing as true for KotOR2. Certainly the X-wing games are excellent and well implemented, but the thing of it is that KotOR2 was never quite finished - at least in my humble opinion - and that reduces the replay value of the game rather a lot. Everyone I talk to about KotOR2 pretty much say the same thing - it's great until you reunite the masters on Dantooine, and then it takes a sharp turn to the left toward the end from there. I still think it's a good game, but I also think that hurts its replay potential, because you're just not as drawn to a story that leaves the plot hanging like that, and KotOR games are all about plot.

Interestingly, the TSLRP and M4-78 projects could spark some new life in KotOR2 once they're done, I think.

I still love both parts of KoTOR, but I haven't played either of them in at least six months. When the TSL Restoration Project is complete I'll definitely want to play TSL again. Otherwise it might be another six months before I decide to play either part of KoTOR from the start. It takes some time to forget the story and the dialogues, so they'd be interesting again when I decide to replay KoTOR 1 & 2.

I'm confident about TSLRP. It's pretty far along judging by the progress reports on Team Gizka's site, so even if the team was losing it's motivation (and that's a pretty big if...), they're so close to finishing that it's probably easier to get it done and off their chests by now.

The M4-78 project is an entirely different bowl of fish, however, because they have to write all new code, plot, voices, etc. Though the guys on the team seem very motivated, it could be a long time before they're done.

Probably. I know that after so much trigger geometry and "whereami-ing" on the M4-78 mod, I won't pick up TSL for at least a year once I'm done. All games have a lifespan and although KotOR is a classic, it must die... eventually. What has helped it into the grave, as others have said, is the completion controversy. I would imagine that LA is somewhat scared that the next game could be a second TSL... which would not be healthy for their books. Why? Because people will be far more cautious about buying a third game now.

Like all of you, I hope there is a third one, but I'd say that the series is on its way out of the door. No doubt the community will stick around (Look at the Jedi Knight forums) but you'll see Holowan slowly shrink (sadly).

All games have a lifespan and although KotOR is a classic, it must die... eventually.

Great games never die, they just lie dormant for a while. I'm still dusting off and playing (and even modding) Deus Ex(1) and Master of Orion 2 every now and then, even though I've hardly been playing them non-stop since they were released. :)

The KotORs probably are among those games. I haven't played them in a while, but I doubt I've played them for the last time. :)

(Other old games I've replayed years after first playing them are Baldurs Gate II, ST:Bridge Commander and Neverwinter Nights. I've even replayed a bit of Pathways into Darkness, Marathon and Myth:The Fallen Lords on my ancient Mac, though the graphics are horrible by todays standards. :))

Great games never die, they just lie dormant for a while. I'm still dusting off and playing (and even modding) Deus Ex(1) and Master of Orion 2 every now and then, even though I've hardly been playing them non-stop since they were released. :)

The KotORs probably are among those games. I haven't played them in a while, but I doubt I've played them for the last time. :)

(Other old games I've replayed years after first playing them are Baldurs Gate II, ST:Bridge Commander and Neverwinter Nights. I've even replayed a bit of Pathways into Darkness, Marathon and Myth:The Fallen Lords on my ancient Mac, though the graphics are horrible by todays standards. :))

Agreed There are games that I play every year or at least once every two years.

Oh, sorry. You misunderstood me - don't seem to be very good at articulating myself at the moment, probably something to do with an odd sleep cycle I've started to develop. I meant that certain games will go out of fashion, not that they won't be played anymore. I will certainly still be playing both games at some point in the future again (Just as I still play Planescape).

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Archived