Home

At the End of the Line

I say, I say

Recently I have noticed that a few people who have just completed Grim Fandango have shared their thoughts on how they feel now they have finished the game. It is interesting to note their reactions seeing as I imagine quite a lot of people in this forum completed the game a few years ago.

So if you can remember, what were your feelings once you had completed Grim Fandango? Obviously I expect that many were sad from completing Manny's story in the afterlife. I personally thought it was very bittersweet, whilst I had the same reaction with the Curse of Monkey Island, I felt it more here seeing as CMI sort of cut to the end.

Overall I hope this thread gives you the chance to express your feelings at the end of the game, and also to express what you felt of Grim Fandango now the picture was complete.

First reaction: Yes!! Victory!! I have beaten the game!! MHAHAHAHA!! Another game has been conquered!!

Second reaction: Oh dear god, I've beaten the game... it's coming to an end... I think I might cry. No. Can't cry. Little sister, little brother and best mate watching behind me. I'd be owned for weeks. Crap, I think that's a tear. O.K don't panic, surreptisiously turn head and flick away tear. Phew, situation normal.

Third reaction: It's over!!! It's finished!!! No more Grim fandango!! Maybe there's a sequel?! I'll do a google search... NOOOOOOOO!!!! It is truely over!!!! There will never be another!! I'm so depressed...

Fourth reaction: Fanfiction and Halo! Gimme, gimme, gimmie!

My first reaction was the same as Scorpicus' second. Then I started feeling completely empty, as if there was no reason to go on anymore. Pathetic, but I had grown so fond of the characters that I didn't want to let go. Especially since many of my favourites didn't have a happy ending, or we never found out what happened to them.

Then I found this place and realised that I was not alone. :) I've got over it now, but every once in a while the same feeling takes over and all I can do is switch off all the lights and listen to the soundtrack. It's a good cure.

The problem I find with some Adventure Games is when you get to a certain difficult puzzle that seems impossible to solve and you go around for hours making sure that you've checked everything and everyone and you just get bored with the game.

One 'advantage' of using the walkthrough is that you get to see the entire flow of the story such as in Grim Fandango; I myself admit using a walkthrough in some parts as there were a few puzzles that were driving me mad. I guess using hints would make you feel that you yourself have completed the game on your own terms.

I don't think there's anything wrong with using hints. Sometimes I run into a part that I simply can't get past. Then I'd rather cheat than be stuck forever and not finish the game.

Of course, it all depends on the game. If it's difficult, I grow frustrated and start thinking "Well, I couldn't finish this on my own anyway, so why not see what to do next?" Such a game is Sam & Max which, I guess, was a little too weird for me. Right now I'm stuck in The Longest Journey and promised myself I wouldn't cheat. However, since I can't figure out what to do, I no longer have the passion to play the game either.

If the game is encouraging, doesn't have too obscure puzzles and so on, I'm more likely to play it myself. DOTT is one game that comes to mind.

Everything was so much easier before the Internet came and offered the option of walkthroughs. It was so much fun to browse through gaming magazines and hope that your question had been answered in the hints section. :)

I'd have to say I say, I say summed it up best for me with 'bittersweet.' I liked the ending a lot, and felt happy for Manny and Meche, but kinda felt bad for Glottis. Still, it had a pretty powerful effect on me, I just sat there with my thoughts for a while afterwards.

My thoughts exactly.

Hey, I didn't use walkthrough neither, I think :lol:

I remember I got stuck at the elevator. I knew what to do, but for some reason I couldn't do it (I knew I had to use the lift and why, but I was just stuck). So I think I used the walkthrough to see if there was something wrong in my approach, but it was ok so I kept trying until I got it.

So, I "half-used" walkthroughs :lol:

Archived