Home

Movie?

Nick Virago

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering his former influence at LucasArts and the gravity of such a piece of news, chances are he'd know something about it. As for Dark Horizons, I'll bet both nuts that they're basing their story on The Movie Center's, whether credit is given or not.

As for GF being the last adventure game from LucasArts, well yeah, I guess that's true if you don't count Monkey Island 4 that was released in 2001! :D

As for GF being the last adventure game from LucasArts, well yeah, I guess that's true if you don't count Monkey Island 4 that was released in 2001! :D

My mistake, MI4 was the last adventure game by lucasarts (released in 2000, actually) but remember tim schafer wasn't involved in all 4 games and even if he was involved in MI4 (I don't remember right now) that was his last job at lucasarts. He resigned afterwards (did I mention the star wars fever from the late 90's?)

Experience has told me that videogame-based movies only succeed when whoever created the game is kept at least 1000 ft from the set, I think Tim Burton would like to create his own version of Grim Fandango.

Take for example the two mortal kombat movies: when Midway sold the rights for the first one, neither ed boon or john tobias (co-creators) were involved and the movie was a success (with a budget of $30 M, the studio won $70 M only on the first weekend and was considered the first good videogame-to-film adaptation, today it's the second best, right after tomb raider), but when they made mortal kombat: annihilation two years later, both boon and tobias decided to butt in and write the script themselves. That movie was considered by the critics as one of the worst action movies of the decade, the studio barely won a cent over the budget and for the first time they cancelled the third part in a three-picture deal.

Yeah, I've certainly heard nothing about him being fired. He did indeed leave around the beginning of 2000 to found Double Fine, but as far as I'm aware that was a fully voluntary decision and the natural route for a senior game designer to take in the industry.

But seriously, I really, really doubt this rumour holds any weight. I'd love it to be true of course, but the fact remains that the only thing we've got to go on is the word of some random blog with pretty much zero credibility.

Yeah, I've certainly heard nothing about him being fired. He did indeed leave around the beginning of 2000 to found Double Fine, but as far as I'm aware that was a fully voluntary decision and the natural route for a senior game designer to take in the industry. There's been nothing to suggest he was forcefully ejected from the company, which would be unlikely considering his skill and experience.

But seriously, I really, really doubt this rumour holds any weight. I'd love it to be true of course, but the fact remains that the only thing we've got to go on is the word of some random blog with pretty much zero credibility.

Yeah, I've certainly heard nothing about him being fired. He did indeed leave around the beginning of 2000 to found Double Fine, but as far as I'm aware that was a fully voluntary decision and the natural route for a senior game designer to take in the industry. There's been nothing to suggest he was forcefully ejected from the company, which would be unlikely considering his skill and experience.

But seriously, I really, really doubt this rumour holds any weight. I'd love it to be true of course, but the fact remains that the only thing we've got to go on is the word of some random blog with pretty much zero credibility. Many rumours have passed this community by over the years, and there's nothing to suggest that this will turn into anything more than they did — nothing. :(

Yeah indeed, all that page has is a description of Grim Fandango and then a copy/paste of The Movie Center's 'quote'. And once again, it's just some random site hosted by FreeServers, a free host.

I'm still calling nonsense on this one. :~

Edit: I just noticed that Entertainment Now was seemingly only created at 5am this morning, and hasn't even been crawled/cached by Google yet. I'm beginning to get the feeling that somebody is playing a prank here and putting these random blogs/sites up just to cause a stir.

Let's face it, there's absolutely nothing to suggest these sites have any credibility whatsoever. And if real hollywood insiders or whatever were spilling information like this, they'd use a real site for doing so like Ain't It Cool News.

Fishy as a trout if you ask me!

And yet every single one of them is using The Movie Center's quote as the source. See how we keep ending up back at this totally unestablished blog?

And like was explained earlier in the thread, Wikipedia is 100% community powered. Anybody can edit any article on there at any time, including you and me. It doesn't hold up if the facts can't be supported by a credible source.

Okay, the game's up. Thanks to James Isaac for doing the research.

As we can see, The Movie Center posted its 'quote' from Tim Burton about the Grim Fandango movie back on July 6th. A day later on July 7th, a detailed Wikipedia article created by somebody using the nickname "Wesborland" popped up. Take a look at this guy's contribution history and you'll see that he has been continually modifying the article ever since.

As you can see from reading through this thread, a user called Nick_Virago joined the Grim Fandango Discussion forums on July 9th asking whether or not anyone's heard anything about a Grim Fandango movie. A few posts later Nick claimed to have stumbled across this information on The Movie Center and Wikipedia:

well, according to wikipedia and the movie center, the production of this movie was briefly announced, and there is no telling when the filming will begin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grim_Fandango:_The_Movie

The Movie Center

Take note of Nick's direct implication that he found the Wikipedia article.

Ever since, Nick has been posting links to all manner of obscure websites that 'back up' the original rumour, all of which reside on free hosting and/or reference The Movie Center as the source. Thing is, some of these sites haven't existed on the internet for more than a few days, and Entertainment Now hasn't even been discovered/crawled by Google at the time of writing.

Today on July 17th, someone called wes_borland left a comment over on the World of Monkey Island about the movie. Yes, the same guy who created the Wikipedia article a week and a half ago.

The best bit? I had a word with Dalixam over at the World of Monkey Island and it turns out that we've got an IP match between Nick_Virago and Wesborland/wes_borland. This guy has been directing us towards sites of his own creation while maintaining the act that he's been finding them.

Nice.

Manny: *Punches Nick in the face*

Virago: Oof...What? Was that for [all the lies I told]?

Manny: No. That was just for being you. I don't have time to get you for [spreading rumors of a Grim Fandango movie which have since be proved false], but I'm sure somebody will.

Archived