Home

Patch Notes for 1.05 - whats on the decks..

Guest DarthMaulUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

Late last night, a small force of Bothan spies were sent on a daring raid into the heart of the Empire at War operation - Las Vegas. After giving Operations Manager, Christine the slip - leaping over Kevin Yu then darting past Chris Rubyor they came face to face with President Mike Legg.

The Spies used a special trick (look over there - is that some Alien Jerky?), which managed to get them past the tough security and grab the plans to upcoming patch 1.05. You can see some of the new improvements, which include changes to tech levels - fixes for the old save/new patch issues and reductions in the amount of squadrons spawned by Imperial Cruisers.

-----------------

General Bug Fixes

-----------------

* Corrected a saved game issue that occurred after installing

the 1.04 patch.

----------------------

Space Tactical Changes

----------------------

* Millenium Falcon “Invulnerability” duration was reduced

from 10 seconds to 6 seconds

* Corellian Corvettes and Tartans now become available at

Tech Level 2 instead of Tech Level 1

* The Corellian Corvette price was reduced from 1850 to

1800 credits

* The Imperials now starts with 2 TIE Fighter squadrons

instead of 3

* Tartan “All Power to Weapons” duration was reduced from

10 seconds to 7 seconds

* Acclamators only spawn 1 TIE Bomber squadron (down from 2)

and 3 TIE Fighter squadrons (down from 4)

* Victory Star destroyers now only spawn 2 sets of TIE

Bombers squadrons (down from 3)

DMUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

In all fairness, there isn't too much wrong with the game now. Most of peoples problems stem from out of date drivers and trying to run the game on settings higher than their PC can handle.

DMUK

So vettes still own acc's then?

In which case, all they have done is; Slowed down the game and made Rebs overpowered for Tech 2. Vettes/Neb's will OWN tartans/acc's

Not necessarily; it depends entirely on how you play them. Sure, if you just sit there and watch them pick targets on their own and slug it out that could happen, but if you manage your units a little there's no reason why an equal force of Tartans and Acclamators couldn't take out Nebulon Bs and Corvettes.

In all fairness, there isn't too much wrong with the game now. Most of peoples problems stem from out of date drivers and trying to run the game on settings higher than their PC can handle.

DMUK

sync errors- right now its horrible

4v4 select frac bug

connection bug(somtimes 1 player doesnt get the test screen up and they cant connect)

ladder problems( abuse of submiting losses)

d\c bug

Huge imba in 1v1

etc. thats why alot of good playrs left

Excellent news. As with previous patches, don't be fooled into thinking that the first announcement includes all the details. So, before you complain about things you wanted that were left out, wait to see the final release notes and the patch itself. It sounds like they listened to us, and that's all anyone can ask for.

As for errors, my computer isn't special, and my drivers are older than EaW, but I don't get any orrors when I play.

I still think EaW is the best Star Wars RTS so far, and when the x-pack is released, I'll be even happier.

Not necessarily; it depends entirely on how you play them. Sure, if you just sit there and watch them pick targets on their own and slug it out that could happen, but if you manage your units a little there's no reason why an equal force of Tartans and Acclamators couldn't take out Nebulon Bs and Corvettes.

It's managing your units that will cause my prediction. E.G Vettes do actually own acc's AND their fighters/bombers so you get the vettes attacking them, Neb's absolutely crush tartans so you get the nebs to attack them, Eliminating the only real threat to vettes at tech 2. Obviously I am talking about skilled games here, not just playing vs randoms. 1.3 was great for having skilled games that were nicely balanced, 1.4 killed this cos Emps were given such a huge advantage in tech 1 especially in the early game.

Going off the above notes about the patch, ALL Petro have done is shift the balance of power again.

Guest DarthMaulUK

They have done no such thing. From playing online games, they have seen that early on, games are just a vette/tartan fest. By moving both of these units to T2, means that players can now use their fighters early on to slug it out.

There's alot more to come, which will be announced soon

DMUK

The good thing about tartan and vett fights was that you needed skill (micro) and it would reward you if you did it well. I rember killing 8 tartans with 5 vetts without losing 1 vett in 1.3. With 1.5 the tie vs xwing fights will be fought in the tievsxwing script and you will just sit there and watch. and since boba\han will own fighters team games will be fast tech 2>rush 3 heroes>micro 1 unit game.... that isnt better than the tartan vs vett

They have done no such thing.

They have done exactly that. Ok, 2 tie fighters and 2 xwings each at the start, who has the advantage here? Rebs do because of speed plus the fact that Xwings OWN Tie fighters straight seeing as it is just script and not actual skill that determines the outcome. So, you have Reb grabbing the 1st turrets and the mines getting that early lead in cash because Tie's suck at killing Xwings and also suck at killing mines quick enough (unless you have enough) Rebs are already in the lead now.... Both teams tech up to lvl 2 at the same time, 1 buys a vette and neb, the other a tartan and acc... Who will win? Reb, Why?? Because the vette will keep the bombers at bay while the Neb (which is also safe from the acc because of it's shield boost) DESTROYS the Tartan. 1 acc v 1neb and 1 vette, remembering the acc is without bombers now as it's only bomber squad got whooped by the vette, Who will win? That is a straight forward scenario, by the book. Rebs will OWN in the early game.

From playing online games, they have seen that early on, games are just a vette/tartan fest.

Although 90% of the time you are correct on this, That RARE game when teams are near equal in skill (and high level of skill at that), the game can reach lvl 5 over a very long period of time (25 minutes upwards is long in EaW) with both teams desperately trying to get that edge to secure a victory. My longest game was 40 odd minutes in a team against another skilled bunch, THAT was a great game. Anyway, I digress, How much time have they really spent playing this game online, Can't be all that much and I certainly haven't seen them much (seen delphi I think once and that was it, even explained AND showed him the vette owning acc issue, WHICH he agreed needed changing). I am not slamming anyone here btw I just want them to get it right and not bow down to the n00bs who mouth off at every opportunity. Sometime I just wish a developer would listen to the skilled group of players instead of the whiney peeps who can't be arsed to learn a game (not aimed at anyone in particular)

By moving both of these units to T2, means that players can now use their fighters early on to slug it out.

If the fighters actually did something other than script work then I would welcome this, Take homeworld 2 for a very good example, there are countless strategies involving fighters alone in a head on situation that gives an amazing amount of results. In the same head on situation, 1 Tie is NOT going to beat an X-wing. You can't change formations of single squads, you can't change formations of multiple squads banded together, you can't change aggression levels. Move and attack and watch them dance already knowing who will win. (Using common sense here will tell you that 10 tie squads is going to own 4 xwings squads and in which case it's still a case of the quickest spammer wins).

There's alot more to come, which will be announced soon

DMUK

If there is a lot more to come then why release only part of the changes, it only serves to cause criticism such as my replies here.

Disclaimer:: My replies here are based soley on what I have read above. I am not out to offend so please don't get arsey with me, I am actually finding this an interesting debate of sorts.

I am not out to offend so please don't get arsey with me, I am actually finding this an interesting debate of sorts.

Avoid the caps. Use the "[b ]" "[/b]" tag (without a space between the b and the ] ) for bold text if you wish to put enphasis on a word. Caps is considered shouting and is offensive in some way or simply extremely irritating.

I am not slamming anyone here btw I just want them to get it right and not bow down to the n00bs who mouth off at every opportunity. Sometime I just wish a developer would listen to the skilled group of players instead of the whiney peeps who can't be arsed to learn a game (not aimed at anyone in particular)

i agree 100% with that. In my opinion they should listen to clan members rather than regualr ppl.Since clan pplz try and learn new strats rather than complaining it. i posted the notes in DS forums, and most of them dont like the idea of tarts being in T2.Wheres the fun of watching fighters dogfighting? There is absolutly no strategy with fighers, with tarts u can rush a mine without ur enemy know about it. Rebels will win in every dogfight there is, and i can tell ppl will just fast tech to get those vettes. So the game isnt slowed down, not even a bit.

In my opinion they should listen to clan members rather than regualr ppl.Since clan pplz try and learn new strats rather than complaining it.

Lol Vespid. Not all of us unwashed commoners are as bad as you make us sound. No offense taken or intended though, i'm sure. hehe

Seriously though, I kinda like it when they change the game like this. It always shakes things up, and makes people think and plan differently. If they moved the corvettes and tartans to the second tech, then maybe they have done something they aren't telling us about to the first tech. Maybe they even added tech levels (one can always dream).

Personally, I think it WOULD be nice to be able to build mines before they get destroyed, so that the combat is more about ships than mines. I have a custom map (made by someone else) where each side starts out with some mines already built. That's actually a fun map to play because you get to build ships and use them to fight. I love a good fight. On the rare occasion when you get a good fleet battle, it's really exciting. Moving the corvettes to the next tech may make naval-style engagements more common, and that would be a good thing.

Rather than comment on whether the changes will make the game better or not, I'd like to know what the reasonning behind the change was. I'll wait to see what it's like when it's released, but if anyone from Petroglyph cares to comment on the reason for moving the corvettes and tartans to the next level, I'd appreciate some inside insight.

Avoid the caps. Use the "[b ]" "[/b]" tag (without a space between the b and the ] ) for bold text if you wish to put enphasis on a word. Caps is considered shouting and is offensive in some way or simply extremely irritating.

No problem, will do.

In my opinion they should listen to clan members rather than regualr ppl.

I don't think Petro should listen to clan members as a rule but those who are considered skilled enough to know what they are talking about. Some clans have no idea what they are doing and just shout off that they are skilled because they wear a tag next to their name. Foe example, if they were trying to balance out the game for 1 v 1 play, It would be best for them to talk to the top 20 in the ladder who have the most experience in 1 v 1 rather than the bottom 20.

Not all of us unwashed commoners are as bad as you make us sound.

Interesting point, I just want to make clear that I'm not on about different classes of people or taking a superiority power trip. I know that wasn't aimed at me and it was made in good humour but I wanted to point that out.

Hmm got more to put but I got to get to work.

In my opinion moving the tarts/vettes to Tech 2 is a bad idea, ill tell you why. 1st off most the people who like the idea cant defend their mines and get beat by mine rushers(Which most of the best players are) and so are complaining about how they get beat, when its their fault not the games. 2nd of all if you were to ask the top clans(look at the top awards for clans on places like battlestats.com or elipticalrealms.com) These top clans know how to play period. They know whats its like in tournaments in such and have to figure out the best strategies for the game. This is bad for the clans and tournaments. I myself am in DS( The defenders of Sovereignty) and we are the top clan on ER and won the First Empire at War tournament on battlestats(the er tourny hasnt started yet) So i know what im talking about when i say that this is cheapening the game for the top players. The developers shouldnt have to revamp the game because some players cant defend their mines. Thats not fair to the clans. The developer's should listen to the top clans and the people who get beat by the mine rushes. But changing the game just so the people who lose can win? thats not a good idea i dont think. This game is pretty balanced and fun as is. patch 1.4 was a good one. This will just changed things and make it worse again. All im saying to the developers is please listen to the clans as well.

Rather than comment on whether the changes will make the game better or not, I'd like to know what the reasonning behind the change was. I'll wait to see what it's like when it's released, but if anyone from Petroglyph cares to comment on the reason for moving the corvettes and tartans to the next level, I'd appreciate some inside insight.

i should have said some, theres like 10%-20% of really skilled players out there but rest of mostly complainers. That is where i may help u with, see someone told gave me a link to a forum that talks about E@W and it seems the devs go there more .Anyways there was a thread about vettes/tarts being too strong still(no suprise there), so i was reading the posts and i see delphi saying that they are going try and see if its better of putting tarts/vettes.Everyone was thanking them so much for listening to their complaints, and delphi came back saying they will move them to T2.That is where i was trying to not make them move the tarts/vettes to T2. I even told the pplz to go out their and learn for once instead of being lazy and complain, but of course being flamed by nOObs is very hard to get my point cross.

i trained u well don, ur best my student in space :)

Anyways there was a thread about vettes/tarts being too strong still(no suprise there), so i was reading the posts and i see delphi saying that they are going try and see if its better of putting tarts/vettes.Everyone was thanking them so much for listening to their complaints, and delphi came back saying they will move them to T2.That is where i was trying to not make them move the tarts/vettes to T2.

The change was based on devs playing the game and seeing a need for the change. Most of the people I see complaining are those who MOSTLY win by vette rushing. Not saying vette rushing is bad, but it should not be a be all end all tactic. Moving them to tech 2 will change this dramatically.

Hey everyone- just wanted to first start out by saying that a lot of these concerns are a bit premature. I think some things that were not taken in consideration in discussions above is the build speed and cost of fighters. Just steer the conversation a bit...by the time your first fighters get to the first mines...depending on the map...the empire may already have 1-2 tie fighters ready to hyperspace in on that battle. Don't worry, the fights wont be as black and white as 2 xwings vs 2 tiefighters.

The next obvious comment from a rebel player is, well I'll have fighters building too and they are stronger.

Yes. But they build slower than tie fighters and also cost more. Over time its almost a better arguement to say that staying in tech 1 longer works against rebel players simply because of the ability to pump out so many tie fighters.

I'm confident there will be multiple ways to enter the first skirmishes. It is true there isn't much micromanagement in 1v1 tie fighter/xwing fights but in groups, using clever tactics with fighters you can win surprising victories (Petroglyph's internal 2v2 tournament has been played on 1.05 and has already shown many sneaky fighter tactics. Delphi was one of the top C&C RA Players and I was one of the top CCG Players).

Furthermore, tech 2 will open up many new options...do I go corvette classes or capital ships? The combinations will definitely keep everyone on their toes as previous strategies will definitely be shaken up.

Archived