Home

Zone Alarm Problem

I couldnt find a general tech forum (or maybe I just didnt look) so I'm gonna post this here for some help. I have about 10 viruses on my computer, so I'm using my dad's. Both are protected by Zone Alarm, but the thing is, Zone Alarm isnt detecting the viruses, and I know for sure they're some type of viruses, as everytime I open up AIM or Windows Messenger, some program sends messages to my friends, like it was me, telling them to download this program, which is obviously a virus. The thing is, I found some suspicious files that keep trying to access trusted zones and the internet. I deleted some, cleared my cache and checked Zone Alarm's Program Control list. And the files were still there. They were the same files, I checked. So does Zone Alarm show the history of access attempts or what?

And I just realized where the viruses came from. Those of you with IM programs probably know of the virus going around that takes control over IM programs and sends messages saying: How would this Pic of us look on myspace? Or something like that, then it gives a link to the supposed picture, which is actually an exe saying its a screensaver. Well out of major curiosity and boredom, I installed the file and nothing happened. Now just recently, I had to shut down Zone Alarm to use Xbox Connect, and my computer locked up. I restarted and put up Zone Alarm again, but I just realized Zone Alarm must've been holding back the virus and when I shut it down.

Okay this post is turning into a big mumbo jumbo of words and stuff... Anyways, is there any way I can get Zone Alarm to stop the virus, because it doesnt say it detects anytihng when I do a virus scan, and deleting the hundreds of suspicious files manually could take forever.

Zone Alarm is a firewall program, not an anti-virus program. Zone Alarm might prevent the virus further spreading itself through your IM app but it's not going to detect and remove the virus from your system. You need an anti-virus app like Norton Anti-Virus, McAfee VirusScan, Windows Live OneCare, Trend Micro's PC-cillin, or some other anti-virus program in order to get the virus off of your system.

yo, this is AVG its a free anti virus program, i use it http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

then again, its rare anything gets past the stuff on my pc anyways, i have spybot search and destroy (another freeware program) and i have it set up to notify me whenever there is a registry change - so i can decline registry changes making it very hard for any spyware/viruses to run on my computer... website for that is;

http://www.download.com/3000-8022-10122137.html

i recommend TredMicro. it's a very good anti-virus programe and i use it. but whatever you do, DO NOT use Norton 2006. my dad bought it and it f***ed the computer up. none of the applications opened and i was brought down to looking at a desktop where nothing was working. we had to format the hard-drive to get it to work (and i still have only 700 MB free space out of the 64 GB :xp: )

I use both an antivirus and a firewall, and a couple of anti-spyware programs (1 catches some that the other doesn't). I also have a little utility called WinPatrol. I got it with one of those PC magazines a couple years back, and it's saved me from getting a couple viruses because it asks you 'do you want to allow x program to be installed on your computer?' before it installs. There's a freeware version and an upgraded $ version.

WinPatrol

Coool guys, I'll try them out ... but Zone Alarm is also Anti AViru I thought, if you open it uip it jas program control, arental control, etc. AND Anti virus and virus scans. But maybe I'm just crazy... well okay, thanks for the help.
I haven't used ZoneAlarm in quite some time. A cursory check of their website <link> reveals that if you use ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite or ZoneAlarm Anti-Virus then you have an anti-virus app built in that you could use. The rest of ZoneAlarm's product lineup doesn't have the anti-virus feature.

I use several programs.

I've used ZoneAlarm, but seem to have problems with it at the moment. It wouldn't begin correctly on start-up, so I uninstalled it. Upon reinstalling, I get several messages about how it cannot connect to "TrueVector" and needs to in order to finish the install... If anyone knows how to solve this problem, I'd appreciate it. In the meantime I'm using Windows Firewall (which is crap...)

I also use AntiVirus. I recommend AntiVir:

http://www.free-av.com/

It's a german program, I think, but it's free and seems to have unlimited updates (which is the main problem with programs like AVG for me - I hate having to reinstall the bloody thing every four or six months).

You should also run some anti-spyware every now and then. I use both Ad-Aware and Spybot just to be sure to catch them all. Both are free.

1 - Reformat your harddrive. (Why? Well, you have ten you know, and probally other you don't.)

2 - Before you sign on anywhere, install your anti-virus & ZoneAlarm.

3 - Pray to god that you don't have to fdisk your drive. If you have a boot virus, this is one of the only ways to get rid of them.

4 - Good luck man!

ZoneAlarm is a cool program. Every now and then, I have to reinstall it. However, once you get it going, the program works impressively. I have not encountered a single virus yet, and I am using a PC. I block most of the computer's access points before I run any internet access for the first time. Therefore, my wall is up an running.

Archived