Home

Do you believe in aliens?

Do you believe in aliens?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in aliens?

• Yes
    • No

As the topic says, do you believe that there are other living, breathing beings in our great universe?

I personally believe in them because I: a) believe in God and b) believe He would not create an entire universe just for us.

Now, I'm not so sure about Roswell or that anything has visited us. I mean, if we've got nine--possibly ten--planets in our solar system, and many solar systems in our galaxy, and many galaxies in our universe, why'd they choose to come here?

But, if heard Faaip De Oiad by Tool, you might think differently.

So what do you think?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a topic! I think's possible, though whether it has happened yet is another matter. Given how many planets there are in the universe, how many are capable of sustaining life? Probably a small percentage overall, but most likely more than one. Has life evolved on those planets? It's happened with us, so I think it's possible it could have happened elsewhere. But as to whether there are other forms of life as intelligent as us, or simply single-celled organisms incapable of thought, I have no idea. There's no way to confirm if other life even exists yet, but I think it's very likely that in all the years the universe will exist (a number larger than anyone living can hope to comprehend), it's very likely that there will be other life. Since there is such a tremendous amount of time for things to happen, I think people should stop focusing on whether it's possible or not and start focusing more on the when.

Do I believe that other life exists outside our own world? Yes. Do I believe intelligent life exists outside our own world? Yes. Do I believe said life has or will travel to our world? No.

Why? Because the distance presented would be either impossible or simply illogical.

Why do I believe in other life somewhere else out there? Because chances of there not being are far too slim. Plus we have proof of life on other worlds, not intelligent, but it's still life.

I don't really believe in Area 51, flying saucers, anal probing and all that other jazz. Though I don't really find it hard to swallow the existence of other life, intelligent or not, somewhere out in the universe. It's a big place after all....

i certainly do believe in life elsewhere. i mean, the earth is a molecule compared to the size of the Universe. obviously there must be at least a billion different alien species out there somewhere. the only reason they have'nt tried to contact us though, must be because either:

1) they heard of Bush

2) they don't want to talk to the inhabitants of a polluted world.

Hundreds of billions of stars, hundreds of billions of galaxies...the universe is such a mind-bogglingly vast place that the human mind can't even begin to comprehend the size involved. There's probably quite a bit of alien life out there somewhere. Even if only an infintesimal percentage of stars have planets that could sustain life, that still leaves millions of planets where life could potentially be.

Is there alien life buzzing around Earth leaving weird patterns in cornfields or rectally probing farmboys...well, that's a whole different kettle of fish...

So remember when you're feeling very small and insecure

How amazingly unlikely was your birth

And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space

Cause there's bugger-all down here on Earth.

I believe there are other intelligent lifeforms somewhere out there. Both those with superior and with inferior technology, compared to ours. I, unlike Jedi_Knight_707, don't think it has anything to do with God, since I don't believe in him, but it is only logicall to assume that we aren't alone in the universe. Also, I sincerely doubt we've ever been visited by flying saucers, especially that people were abducted by aliens and I don't believe aliens are as eager to contact us as we seem eager to contact them.

Do I believe that other life exists outside our own world? Yes. Do I believe intelligent life exists outside our own world? Yes. Do I believe said life has or will travel to our world? No.

Why? Because the distance presented would be either impossible or simply illogical.

Why do I believe in other life somewhere else out there? Because chances of there not being are far too slim. Plus we have proof of life on other worlds, not intelligent, but it's still life.

Wow... I never thought I say this, but for once, I completely agree with Sithy. There has to be alien life out there somewhere - and there's both religious ideology and scientific laws of probability to back that up. On the religious side: Why would the Divine create the entire universe, with it's infinite combinations of matter, just to put one tiny little species in it? On the scientific side: similar to the religious side, minus the God part. What are the odds that out of the billions upon billions of planets out there, that only Earth has any form of sentient life on it?

Now, I also think that any aliens who have perfected space travel and are capable of visiting Earth would have to know better than to try and visit us. We're still too scared of the unknown, not to mention still finding new and improved ways to kill each other. We're still an infant race, in my opinion.

^^lol @ Cygnus

Now, I also think that any aliens who have perfected space travel and are capable of visiting Earth would have to know better than to try and visit us. We're still too scared of the unknown, not to mention still finding new and improved ways to kill each other. We're still an infant race, in my opinion.

If aliens really did have that level of technology where interstellar travel was possible, they'd be so far ahead of us here on our puny little world that they could pretty much do whatever they wanted, and there'd really be SFA we could do to stop them. I agree we're an infant race just beginning to take our first tremulous steps away from our crib, but an alien race who's been running up and down the Galactic block for any length of time...would they care about the ways we kill each other if they really wanted to check out the view from Earth? It'd be like throwing spears at an F-117 stealth fighter. But then, I also like to think that any race that had developed to the space-faring level would have had to leave ideas of war and conquest behind them just to stay alive long enough to develop that far...

Then again, Iraq is still teetering on the brink of all-out civil war, Afganistan in still predominantly run by Warlords that make the Sicilian Mafia look like the Salt Lake City Church Ladies' Muffin Club, there's still war in the Sudan, East Timor, North Korea is test-firing missiles, terrorists and crime lords are running for political office here in Ireland...

You know, you might be right, Doctor. If I were an alien, I'd be steering well clear of this mess.

I think I have to go with what Jodie Foster's character said in the movie Contact.

When asked if she thought there were others out there, she replied, "Well, if there isn't, it would be an awful waste of space, don't you think?"

With infinate space, there would have to be infinate possibilities for life.

Wouldn't it?

Crop circles, Roswell, abductions, etc. are all hoaxes or delusions for different reasons. If there were beings that could travel between stars, my opinion is that they probably wouldn't travel thousands of light years to play peeping Tom on little old, primitive earthlings.

I could, however, wrap my mind around a concept similar to Arthur C. Clarke's "Rendezvous with Rama". I could envision a race of beings travelling the stars, but not instantaneously like Star Wars or Star Trek. But rather more of a colony or species that is always travelling. Perhaps, slowing to replenish raw materials for energy or study what they would call interesting places.

Their whole existence, generation after generation would be spent on the move from system to system.

However, until there's proof, real proof, I'll play the skeptic.

But, that doesn't stop my dreams and imagination from working.

^ Space is big, but not infinite. Think about it. If space were infinite, there would be an infinite amount of matter to fill it, as well as an infinite amount of light. If there was an infinite amount of light, then the night sky wouldn't be dark. It's that simple.

That's one of the hardest concepts for the human race to wrap their minds around - the concept of nothingness. It's simply not possible for us to imagine nothingness. We can't experience it, because the act of experiencing it would in fact make it something, not nothing.

Think about that one for a while.

^ Space is big, but not infinite. Think about it. If space were infinite, there would be an infinite amount of matter to fill it, as well as an infinite amount of light. If there was an infinite amount of light, then the night sky wouldn't be dark. It's that simple.
No it doesn't... it just means there's an infinite amount of space for a finite amount of matter to occupy.

Yes, nice assumption Doc, but I'm afraid it's not as simple as that.

If there was an infinate amount of matter to fill all of space, the distances between the countless galaxies and nebulae would still be vast and would keep stretching outward and onward. The big bang theory.

With the quintillion upon quintillion of galaxies and the lack of means to prove this, it might as well be infinate.

...also, if you subscribe to the now proveable theory of black holes, worm holes and rips in space-time, that opens up the door to possibilities of imagining an infinate number of possibilities for the size of space.

I'd like to believe there is no end to space, and since I can't travel faster than the speed of light, I'm afraid I'll never know.

Archived