Do you believe in aliens?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in aliens?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that there may be life on other planets, but I highly doubt that it would be intelligent life you know like "Take me to your leader" but I think that there may be like animals or something like that.

I also believe in God and I know some of you ask why he would make such a huge universe and yet only create us in this tiny seemingly insignificant planet, and I think that maybe he wants to test us, just to see how far our faith will go, if we will listen to anti christ scientists or listen to our Father. And our planet is so perfect for life. Other planets are too close or too far away from the sun to sustain life. This is the planet He chose for US.

I reallllllllllllllyyyyyyyyy do not know how there can be hard scientific evidence of God. Its all about faith. I have personnaly seen miracles, so I have all the evidence I need, but scientific proof? I dont think so.

I believe that there may be life on other planets, but I highly doubt that it would be intelligent life you know like "Take me to your leader" but I think that there may be like animals or something like that.

there could be intelligent life, but they certainly woldnt want to see our leaders. if they do so, they'll be hightailing it the next second. :p

but yeah, there could be other planets that have un-evolved creatures and no intelligent life at all. those types of planets will have the proper balance of the ecosystem, IMO.

if we will listen to anti christ scientists or listen to our Father.

Well, that's your opinion. As for me, I'll listen to those 'antichrist' scientists any day instead of believing into something that isn't there. (Don't get this the wrong way, I'm just expressing my opinion on that matter)

This is the planet He chose for US.

Again, it's your opinion and that's fine, but I still prefer the scientific facts to that kind of thinking.

Back on Topic:

As I and a few others have already stated, the aliens are most certainly out there somewhere and many different species too. They are most certainly nothing like us humans, psychologically or physically or technologically. Their societies are surely nothing like ours and their ambitions too. Most of us can't comprehend that, because we are limited by our own nature and we assume incorrectly that aliens are the same as us in some ways.

i agree. what if the Star Wars galaxy (or something very much like it) does exist? the Earthlings will look like n00bs for sure then, seeing that a hyperdrive engine is yet to be designed much less used. and we don't even have large-scale production of landspeeders (aka: hovercrafts) for personal use. even the wookiees can make a hyperdrive if they wanted to.

Too bad I didn't get into this conversation earlier.

Anyway, I don't really know what to think. I believe that it's possible, but I'm not sure if it's true.

Does anyone here watch UFO Files? I've seen lot's of shows that give what could be solid evidince, but then, they never follow through on it. One show, the evidence that could prove that aliens existed was right behind a fence in a well. The owner of the well wouldn't let anyone investigate, so the show ended with the guy standind right outside the fence. I've got many more stories too.

I've seen lot's of shows that give what could be solid evidence
If there was a solid evedence, this thread would not be! And don't believe what you see on TV, they will do anything to make money. By the way what is solid evidence? How do you know that aliens left those evidence, and not humans?

There is no evidence, there is only speculation.

I personally believe, as many have already said, that the Universe is far too big for us to be the only intelligent species, or even the only life supporting planet, in the whole Universe.

But, sometimes I wonder. What if. What if we are totally alone, and the Universe is all there for us to populate as we see fit. This would be a Dune type future where the Universe is full of humans who have totally changed and evolved to fit their environment. Like the weird mutant Guild Navigators and the Tleilaxu and Mentats and so on. So we would basically become the aliens ourselves.

It's quite possible that life exists elsewhere. You don't even need an Earth-like climate for it to happen (there are bacterias on Earth that survive in extreme heat, extreme cold, extreme radiation, vacuums, and so on). The problem is that evolution is a fairly complex and incredible process, though, so don't assume that just because a planet is a paradise with an atmosphere and everything, it's got life growing on it.

It has not visited Earth, however. There'd be evidence of it if they had, and there isn't. 93% of the "photos of UFOs" have been proven to be forged or of non-alien vessels or natural phenomena - likewise with every single "alien implant". Some crop circles cannot be explained, but that is not evidence extra-terrestrials made them.

There's also the fact that the first "UFO sighting" was made by a guy in the US who reported seeing a craft that "flew like a saucer would if you skipped it across water". Pretty soon thereafter, others reported that they, too, had seen this "saucer-shaped" craft (whoops:D!). Just about every "sighting" thereafter has been of "saucer-shaped" UFOs, courtesy of this communication breakdown. That alone is enough to convince me UFOs are one big myth. They are today's fairy-tales, only instead of trolls abducting us into dark caves filled with magic, there are aliens taking us to their UFOs filled with advanced technology.

Same myth, only a new version of it.

Both theories have not been proven; thus, they are only theories.
Just let me cut in and set something straight here.

"Theory" in scientific jargon does not mean "unproven idea". The Theory of Evolution is an example of a scientific theory that has been observed and proven multiple times.

A "theory" is, as far as I know, in scientific jargon something that explains a law.

Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in mid-air, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape-like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other [theory] yet to be discovered.

Source: The Talk Origins Archives, which eat Creationism for lunch.

If there was a solid evedence, this thread would not be! And don't believe what you see on TV, they will do anything to make money. By the way what is solid evidence? How do you know that aliens left those evidence, and not humans?

Exactly, they tell you something that could be solid evidence, but they never follow through all the way. You can never be sure if what they're showing is authentic.

If there was a solid evedence, this thread would not be!
Unfortunately, that is not so. There's solid evidence ibn Ladin was behind 9/11, yet there are 1000 web sites and 100 000 threads debating whether or not Bush was behind it. There's solid evidence of the Theory of Evolution, yet there are millions spent each year fighting it and introducing mythology to science classes:(.

(...) if we will listen to anti christ scientists or listen to our Father.
Fine, bash science all you want. Just remember that the computer you are typing that on, the pencilin that saves lives all the time and has probably saved yours, and the jet planes we fly all are courtesy of science.

I will never for the lives of me understand how religious people can consider science an enemy and still make use of it every day rather than abandoning it and going Amish or something. It'd be akin to me hating God and Christians and still routinely take advantage of every service your church has to offer without ever giving anything back. But each to their own.

This is the planet He chose for US.
Except from the fact that there's zero evidence whatsoever of Him...

Relevant to the thread, though, as it begs the question of why it isn't mentioned in the Bible that God created other life elsewhere.

A theory IS an unproven idea.

When it has been proven by scientific method (more than once or twice) it becomes a law.

Hence, the THEORY of evolution, not the LAW of evolution. IT HAS NOT BEEN PROVEN. I find it very disturbing that it is now being taught in schools as if it has.

Yeah, I believe in aliens, but not the whole flying saucer Area 51 thing (though the Area 51/Groom Lake facility does, in fact exist-its just where the military tests out their new gadgetry). My belief comes from a more, dare I say, Biblical perspective.

I believe in aliens insofar as there are intelligent (in the extreme) beings, in this universe, on this very planet even, THAT DID NOT ORIGINATE HERE.

If scientists would stop devoting so much time to trying to disprove the existence of God (who can not be proven or disproven, so why bother?) they would make a lot more progress.

Here's my THEORY: Science and religion are not mutually exclusive, and should not be viewed as such. Einstein believed in God, which I believe actually helped him in formulating his theories. I could explain further, but as MacLeodGR pointed out, it would really be off-topic and I agree that these questions should be addressed in a separate thread.

Q

[Evolution-related portion of post moved to Evolution thread by user]

Yeah, I believe in aliens, but not the whole flying saucer Area 51 thing (though the Area 51/Groom Lake facility does, in fact exist-its just where the military tests out their new gadgetry).
They pretty much had to admit it was real when a Soviet spy sat took pictures of it:D. But that there are aliens there... Nope, don't buy that. I'm in fact amazed whenever someone does:).

Relevant to the thread, though, as it begs the question of why it isn't mentioned in the Bible that God created other life elsewhere.

Well, assuming God created the Bible, or at least contributed to it, why should he mention if he created life elsewhere? I'm sure that if there is other intelligent life out there, and they have a Bible that was created by God, then do you think that He mentioned Us? DO YA?!

This made me remember about meaning of life, as it was explained in (fiction) book of Kurt Vonnegut, an alien needed to get to other end of universe, but at the half-way some of his engine broke. Than he noticed humans and used us, since the very beggining of our existence to send messages like "send me spare parts" . Mayan, Egyptian pyramids, stonehedge, Red square (Moscow), and that he even 'mistyped' world trade center. Than would be purpose of human. That realy made me feel small.

About the topic: I totaly agree, that aliens exist. Explaination is simple: in infinity everything happens always. I absolutely believe that infinite 'me's' are typing this same sentence at 'this' same forum, for now and all the eternity. By the way, even though Universe is infinite it just might be a small cell in actual 'everything' as i have heard a theory, that different dimensions are clearly possible, even that every black hole is a beggining of another Universe. Now THAT is beyond my comprehension. how can you multiply infinity. Well try not to think about it too much :D

There is no evidence, there is only speculation.

I personally believe, as many have already said, that the Universe is far too big for us to be the only intelligent species, or even the only life supporting planet, in the whole Universe.

if you look at how many stars there are its is virtually impossible for the Earth to be the only planet capible of supporting life.

there has already been proof that mars once supported life.

Knowing that why is it so hard to believe that life exists elsewhere?

Well, assuming God created the Bible, or at least contributed to it, why should he mention if he created life elsewhere? I'm sure that if there is other intelligent life out there, and they have a Bible that was created by God, then do you think that He mentioned Us?

This IS off-topic, but heck:

Humans created the book you call the Bible (how I silently call it is irrelevant at this point as I'm not trying to offend anyone), that is certain. Personally I (I have said it before, but I just have to say it again) don't believe in god and I don't think that the survival of religion in our times is a good thing for humanity's progress, but speaking objectively (or at least trying to) - the only thing in question are the ten commandments and whether they were truly created by some god or by a man who was sick of people killing each other/stealing from each other etc.

When it comes to aliens and their possible religion, again I see that stupid mistake most humans make - you assume their religion (if they even have any) is at least similar to ours and that is not a valid assumption. Nothing about the aliens should be assumed to be similar to anything about us (I hope this sentence isn't too confusing), the fact is that they are most certainly out there somewhere in this enormous universe and the fact is that we haven't made contact with them and DON'T know what they are like, starting with what they look like and going over do they have a religion, how their society functions, what are their customs etc.

Humans created the book you call the Bible (how I silently call it is irrelevant at this point as I'm not trying to offend anyone), that is certain. Personally I (I have said it before, but I just have to say it again) don't believe in god and I don't think that the survival of religion in our times is a good thing for humanity's progress, but speaking objectively (or at least trying to) - the only thing in question are the ten commandments and whether they were truly created by some god or by a man who was sick of people killing each other/stealing from each other etc.

When it comes to aliens and their possible religion, again I see that stupid mistake most humans make - you assume their religion (if they even have any) is at least similar to ours and that is not a valid assumption. Nothing about the aliens should be assumed to be similar to anything about us (I hope this sentence isn't too confusing), the fact is that they are most certainly out there somewhere in this enormous universe and the fact is that we haven't made contact with them and DON'T know what they are like, starting with what they look like and going over do they have a religion, how their society functions, what are their customs etc.

Well, we have to assume that humans made the Bible. We're you alive 2006 years ago, when the new testament was forged? Didn't think so. Yeah, all logic points to humans making the Bible, but God could have intervened. I mean, the Book is about Him after all. If someone was writing a book about me, and I knew about it, I'd want some sort of contribution.

I never said that aliens practice the same religions as us, I was just using that as an example. But what makes you so sure that aliens don't practice the same religions as us? They could. If we can create a religion focused around one God, seemingly, without a name, then why can't a foriegn place create such a religion? I mean, theortically, couldn't there be another place, that's exactly like Earth, just 2000 years in the past kinda thing? What if we could "visit" another planet, and witness what they might call the beginning of Christ? You can't just rule out physical differences, religious differences, etc. just becuase we happen to be in different galaxies.

if you look at how many stars there are its is virtually impossible for the Earth to be the only planet capible of supporting life.

there has already been proof that mars once supported life.

Knowing that why is it so hard to believe that life exists elsewhere?

I think you have misunderstood what I said. I personally believe that there must be life out there somewhere, since the universe is fairly large...

Also, there is no proof that life once existed on Mars. The bacteria found in the Martian rock found in Antarctica turned out to be inconclusive, as the bacteria may have formed after it landed on Earth.

Archived