Home

Tips to a Good Fanfic!

Yaggles

My tip:

Alright, I'm no fan of describing people and places, but as for scenes and actions...

It often helps me to write a scene by first playing the scene over in my head -- as if it were a movie. Dialouge, movements, positions, scenery, expressions, everything. It gets the scene in order, and shows you exactly what you're looking for. Then, as you're writing, replay the scene as you go, so that you have the picture of what you're trying to describe in your words. Often, if I'm looking for a certain energy to the scene, I'll even listen to a song that leaves me with the same feeling, kind of getting me to concentrate on what I'm looking for.

Hope that helps!

Yeah, that's what I try to do, or at least something like that. And she's right about the music thing. I always try to listen to music that will put me in the right mood for that particulary part of the story. (You guys must promise not to tell anyone this, but once when I was writing a certain romantic part, I put on Celine Dion's I will always love you... It really made me sad *tear*.)

Mach gave me this tip a while ago. Try to think like your the director of a movie. Visualize how your story is going to go. Make sure its smooth.

Another tip is: Use your own personal expierences. If you just had a fight with your girlfriend or something, put it in your story. It's better to have something that sounds "real" than something that comes from your imagination. Even if it doesn't make your story go in the direction you want it too, it still is good for a more gritty, real feeling.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Limit distractions. This is important for some. I can write well enough when there is noise in the backround, but I write best when I'm alone and there's little noise (except for music).

Brainstorm. When you're doing stuff that doesn't require much thought (i.e. driving home, riding your bike, etc.) let your mind wander. I personally get my best ideas when I'm a) in the shower or b) on the toilet. All those brilliant love scenes I've written, were all thought of on the crapper. I'm kidding, I'm kidding. But, seriously, try to at least get an idea of where your story's gonna go before you start writing it.

I used StarWars Knights for the lightsaber forms because I couldn't find them anywhere else... are the exclusive to KOTOR?

And ummm... Jedi_Knight_707, hey I wouldn't call driving home something that requires little thought; you might want to concentrate on the road more than your story. We're trying to help people out here, not get them killed in car crashes, lol. ;) But I agree that you need an idea before you do anything. At least get your characters and your plot, even though you don't need all the minor things; those will come as you write and get ideas. :)

Cheers!

Well, I have been riding my bike and my brain just starts thinking, and all of the sudden I'll be home. It's just natural for me, after having gone on that certain way home, so I don't even think about it. Brainstorming, I think, would be the same as talking to someone else. You're driving home, but you hardly realize it.

Limit distractions. This is important for some. I can write well enough when there is noise in the backround, but I write best when I'm alone and there's little noise (except for music).

Brainstorm. When you're doing stuff that doesn't require much thought (i.e. driving home, riding your bike, etc.) let your mind wander. I personally get my best ideas when I'm a) in the shower or b) on the toilet. All those brilliant love scenes I've written, were all thought of on the crapper. I'm kidding, I'm kidding. But, seriously, try to at least get an idea of where your story's gonna go before you start writing it.

That is a very good tip. One way I get my ideas is by doing Yoga. While I'm meditating, my mind wanders to this place where there's no turning back. Music helps inspire the type of scene you want. When I write my battle scenes, I remember my films but I also listen to music that sparks the need to jump up an throw a punch or two.

Just remember everybody is different. Heck sometimes even the most sappiest of songs can create a real nice action sequence. Just remember to have fun with it.

Hey, im just wondering .. Whats some good tips for a good action sequence? Im coming to the somewhat end of my Fic and theres going to be a heck load of fighting in the final chapters (Perhaps not that much but anyway :D) But yeah, any good tips and stuff, would be greatly appreciated.

If you read some earlier posts, a good idea is to look at famous paintings depicting battles. You can look at war documentaries or in my case, watch a ton of war movies. It also depends on what you are looking at. If it is a lightsaber duel, watch something involving swords like a samuraii movie. It's best to plan it out first. Refer to the Expert thread for tips on things like posture and jargon, etc. or just ask around.

Hey, im just wondering .. Whats some good tips for a good action sequence? Im coming to the somewhat end of my Fic and theres going to be a heck load of fighting in the final chapters (Perhaps not that much but anyway :D) But yeah, any good tips and stuff, would be greatly appreciated.

do what i try to do: describe each sequence as much as possible, while stil sticking to the main theme. it sounds confusing, but you'll get used to it with practice.

yes, all! i'm in canada right now :D rocks!

• 2 weeks later...

What I do is imagine the scene in my head and then think of a detailed, movie-like description of the battle. How well you can describe certain situations somewhat depends on how well do you speak english.

Another tip, but this one is mostly for the readers: If you are reading somebody's fic, don't just read and leave, post your opinion, make suggestions. You don't have to do it after every chapter if you don't want to, but try to do it as often as you can, it helps the author of that fic - it builds up his confidence to know that his work is being read and it encourages him/her to write more and to improve his/her writing. :)

• 2 weeks later...

When I write an action sequence, I always try to picture it as a director. So, if I'm writing something that's really...gritty, I'll watch the D-Day attack in Saving Private Ryan. The shaky cameras and such make you feel like your there, so it really puts you into the moment. When you're trying to do the same thing, just remember that war scenes are intense and scary as hell. It's not like a game where you can take out a billion people with one guy. If I'm doing a one-on-one battle, then try watching fights scenes from movies like Hero or even Obi v. Anakin in Ep. III.

for all the lightsaber deul writers out there, i think you can use three methods to create your duels in realtime which i do all the time.

the first thing is: use your index fingers as lightsaber blades. no, i'm not wack or anything. keep your index fingers absolutely straight and pit your right against your left. use the straight fingers as lightsaber blades. at this time, you will basically just be establishing the cuts, swipes and all the like. do it very slowly so that each move sticks in.

second: try to get ahold of a pair of sticks. wooden drumsticks would do perfectly. you can take anything else also, but they should be the same length. use these with a bit more freedom and as a larger scale duel model of the first method

third: if you have a bunch of plastic sticks lying about a t school, you can use a friend's help to establish the moves. like the flurries, the roundhouses, etc. ask him to hold the saber pointing upwards and away from his torso, the you take your stick and replicate your moves SLOWLY. or you'll end up breaking your partner's jaw :D

yeah, i know, you can hardly believe what youre reading, but it works ;)

Play acting right? That is a good tip for any kind of scene. To add to that sometimes just practicing the handmovements help because whatever yo do with your hands, your lower body responds to. When I think of foot moves, my lower body moves but it is restricted to my hips and looks like I am dancing. Usually I am listening to music because it helps. Also it helps to watch the lightsaber duels from the movies.

Oh that's what I used to do :) Me and my neighbor would get the poles from a broom and just go all out against each other. And, man we had some welts :) Good times though.

The Momerator says be extremely careful when practicing duelling, so that you don't get hurt. If you have a long pole, you may not be moving fast yourself, but the opposite end of the pole can be generating a tremendous amount of force. The longer the pole, the greater the force generated at the tip of the pole. It is extremely easy to break bones like an arm or collarbone if you hit them just right with a long pole.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a tip.

When creating charecters make a form and fill it in like the one below this

can help organise information about your charecters and stop you confusing certain details.

Example

Name: Wedge Dassan

Alignment: Pure Light

Hair Colour: Dirty Blonde

Eye Colour: Blue

Bio: Wedge is calm man and loves all nature he will try and save those who are in great threat and always is aware of his surroundings. He is a keen lightsaber user but is also moderate in force powers. He enjoys meditation and spending time with his Padawan Darla.

History: Wedge grew up on coruscant and at birth was taken to the Jedi Council to be looked after at the age of 11 he built his first lightsaber and by 16 he was very powerful in the force. As a padwan he learnt under Master Kavar and adapted the Juyo form it to a more defensive form instead of all attack.

Fighting Style: Wedge has a mixture of agressive and defensive fighting and m,any find it hard to catch him off gaurd.

Most used Weapon: One blue Lightsaber and One Green

Ship: N/a

This of course is only a example and there are many other types of forms you could make.

Another tip from me:

4. Give your Characters personality: This includes Characters from the Star Wars universe or Created Characters. Characters with no personality make them bland and boring. Characters with personality make the reader interested and read more. It isn't just the Storyline that's important. It's the Characters too.

• 3 weeks later...

My tips:

1. Don't have your story filled with millions of created people use some Star Wars people from the movies or even books.

2.If you have a pic in your masterpiece don't have it to big. Ex. In one of my fics I have a big pic of Darth Krayt you have to scroll to the side. Also on scrolling when you are reading a thread thats sterched out don't use the favorite or history side take it off to see more.

3.Add your fics to your sig it might get more people to read it.

4.If nobody replies to your fic wait keep posting sooner or later someone will read it. And to readers be nice read there fic it encourges them.

5.If someone helps you like edits your chapters or makes you a pic for your fic credit them don't just say thanks and then wave them away.

6.Try to continue your fic even if you have writers block don't just shove it away.

7.If writer block does get the best of you don't delete your thread just ask or pm a mod like Jae to lock it to save peoples post.

8.Once you finish a fic post it in the jedi Archives it is easier to read.

9.If you post it in the jedi Archives put a link in it don't make Jae etc edit it I've done that once. Also put THE END in bold at the end.

10. Try to make sequels they can help you make a new saga of Star Wars.

11. As others have said watch movies also read books they are in the same form of what you are doing.Even play SW or something else on your Gamecube,PS2, Xbox, or Computer etc. They can give you ideas.

12. Make people laugh,smile,stare at the screen in surprise, or even cry-not to likely.

13.read other threads they can also help Ex The sith lord by Pottsie, The true teachings by Igyman,The adventures of Jolee Bindo, The crystal cave,and more.

14.Use wiki or google to find info on charecters.

15.Learn about your fans what they like and read there storys and comment on them it might lead to readers falling from the sky.

16.Use links to tell about people from movies and books.

And pay close attention to this one:

17.Do your bloody best.

Thats all for now folks:)

My tips:

1. Don't have your story filled with millions of created people use Star Wars people from the movies or even books.

I disagree with this tip. Sometimes created Characters are better than the normal people like Revan. If you do use created Characters, all you need to do is give them some background, personality, etc. People from the movies and expanded universe can be looked on Wookieepedia. For example, take Jae's Fic, The Adventures of Jolee Bindo. Jae Onasi was the main Character and she had a background and personality. The only other main Character was Jolee Bindo and he was mainly the only EU Character to star other than the Jedi Masters.

Also Grivis, thanks for mentioning The Sith Lord.

I disagree with this tip. Sometimes created Characters are better than the normal people like Revan. If you do use created Characters, all you need to do is give them some background, personality, etc. People from the movies and expanded universe can be looked on Wookieepedia. For example, take Jae's Fic, The Adventures of Jolee Bindo. Jae Onasi was the main Character and she had a background and personality. The only other main Character was Jolee Bindo and he was mainly the only EU Character to star other than the Jedi Masters.

Also Grivis, thanks for mentioning The Sith Lord.

Sorry I said that wrong I meant don't use all created characters use some old characters i didn't mean no created ones sorry.

Two tips from me:

5. When putting a Fic for the Jedi Archives, make sure to edit out the mistakes, etc and make it look neat.

6. If you're having Writer's Block (Like I'm having at the moment with my second part of the my Fic, Forbidden Return), sometimes posting it as an RP will help with Plots, Characters, etc. Remember to give credit in the RP and the Fic too.

Archived