Home

Grim Fandango: The Movie, Directed By Tim Burton!

The Tingler

OK, this is a rumour that may have no basis in fact, but if wishes were fishes and dreams were creams... this would be one big-ass aquarium stroke drugstore.

(No fancy links or italicised text I'm afraid, as my browser hates Mojo and crashes every time I attempt it).

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=24795084&sid=6153943

The rumour is thus: Tim Burton is considering, after his next film (Sweeney Todd) to be doing a film based on Grim Fandango. If the quote in the link above is in any way accurate, he seems totally unaware that Grim was a computer game - he just got sent a script he liked.

Praise be to whoever sent him that script (if it's real).

If that turns out to be true, and if it all works out and actually happens...I think I might just explode with glee.

Given the state of LucasArts these days, I don't know how successful Burton might be in getting the licensing rights and all that, though. So I think we'll have to wait and see, and explode with glee later.

Yeah based on Schafer's response I'd say "no chance in hell."

And I'd like to say (for the third time now!) that I'm fed up with people saying "Tim Burton, Tim Burton, he's perfect for Grim Fandango!" Why is he perfect? Because he made a couple of stop motion films?? I think he's one of the most overrated directors around, and the only reason a lot of his films work is because of the performance of Johnny Depp (kind of like the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie). Give it to someone like Christopher Nolan.

It is true that Burton has been on both sides of the spectrum with his movies in terms of how good they were. A lot of people hate a lot of his films, and a lot think he's a god to cinema (which is overdoing it a bit). Frankly, there was a lot of hype about the Corpes Bride because it was another Stop Motion and we all know how good Nightmare was (now, I liked Nightmare, it was a good film, but it's certainly near the top as one of the most overrated movies of all time) and yet Corpes Bride wasn't actually that good. The same goes for Charlie and the Chocolate factory, which, for all of its chocolately goodness and harsh humour, didn't leave me wanting any more than it gave me which is why I've only seen it the once.

On the other hand, I would say that Big fish is a major achievment of his, as was Ed Wood. And then a bunch of his films just hit the middle mark like Batman.

Burton could do it, but the thing is, people only think Burton would be perfect for it because he's done Nightmare which has a similar style and because he has a tendancy for the morbid and deathlike.

The only problem is, Grim Fandango is anything but morbid and deathlike, it's set during the Day of the Dead festival, one of the most colourful, lively festivals in the world. Let's also add the fact that Grim Fandango is first and foremost a Noir type film (even if it's a game), but simply with an interesting, out of the ordinary background. yes, Burton could do it... but then so could so many other directors. Terry Gilliam comes to mind.

Though I'd like to believe that the news of a GF Movie is real, it seems unlikely. Grim Fandango draws its influence from a number of other sources such as Casablanca, that year in Rubacava is probably a tribute. Yet seeing as Kill Bill, to name one, is a tribute to the old Japanese Samurai films then GF could be made into a good film. Yet, from the look of the article from which this rumour sprouts it seems very unlikely.

It's not going to happen. Tim Burton is going to do either Believe It or Not, or Sweeney Todd. I mean, come on! WAKE UP!!! We are talking about a LucasArts adventure game...taken to the big screen??

Well, yes. If it is going to happen, I rather have Tim Burton doing it, than....let's say....Ron Howard. Burton is a great director, all his last three movies ranged from good to excellent. His only "crappy" movie was Planet of the Apes.

Anyway....NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

I think Grim Fandango is the best game/story ever.. and it don't need a remake.. tho it could be interesting... look at the other movies based on games.. doesnt alway end up as something good the the game.... but the fact the Burton is giving it a shot is cool.. but then again what would it be without Tim Schafer or say the music from the game, which has a great deal in setting the mood in the game...

i dont know guys, i just dont know..

Of course it was not true. If somehow a LucasArts adventure game is EVER going up to the big screen it would have to be (for logical reasons) a LucasFilm movie. And LucasFilm has never made a computer animated feature. And I can't certainly imagine Tim Burton working with LucasFilm.

I agree that a Grim Fandango movie would be cool, but even with Tim Burton directing it, I wouldn't like a movie without Tim Schafer participation. I rather NOT have it, than have one done poorly.

Archived