Home

The GF Trailer - the pinacal of crap advertising

Scorpicus

The Grim Fandango Trailer.

I watched it after I was a hardcore fan of the game and, even with the flushes of excitement with discovering unseen tidbits, I think it is as effective at selling the game as cow dung pretending to be spagetti.

Poor choice of clips, poor choice of music, far too long - in no shape or form does it leave you with the thought: "Wow!! I would kill to play that game!!"

It really takes a genius to make such a bad trailer out of such a great game. I only wonder how much it contributed to the small sales of Grim Fandango...

So what do you guys think of the trailer?

I've spotted a few things that aren't like the original game, most of all the festival with people like Olivia. And some minor stuff too, like Meche in S.S. Lambada without holding a bottle which was meant to throw at Manny. Or, when Manny takes off his cloak in his office but doesn't talk.

I agree that the trailer isn't as good as it could have been. When people ask me 'What is Grim Fandango?' it would be nice if there was a better trailer I could show them but instead I have to point them towards the demo. However I don't think it's quite as bad as you make it out to be... I'd give it a 6/10.

I've spotted a few things that aren't like the original game, most of all the festival with people like Olivia. And some minor stuff too, like Meche in S.S. Lambada without holding a bottle which was meant to throw at Manny. Or, when Manny takes off his cloak in his office but doesn't talk.

There are a few high resolution renders of some of those un-included content here,

Yeah I agree, the trailer is good, and I've heard no end of people say the same thing over the years (including those who I've shown it to). It's definitely a bit long-winded and not something you can quickly whip out to pull people in, but I can't see many people watching it and not wanting to play the game at the end.

I can't really say for sure how it would have affected my decision to buy though as it was a full-page magazine ad that lured me in. I wish I'd kept that actually — does anyone else still have an old magazine with it in? I'd love it scanned so I can see it again. ;D

I played the game demo too, before seeing the trailer, in fact I think I completed the game before seeing the trailer. It isn't an amazing trailer, but it did what it was supposed to do; advertising the adventure game. Not a work of art like the game, but probably enough to make certain people want to play.

I'm with the "the trailer isn't good" crowd. The first time I saw it, I simply couldn't believe they had made such a trailer about such a brilliant game. I would have preferred a much darker trailer and a bigger part for the film noir aspect of the game. Perhaps start it with slower, dark scenes and end with something thrilling.

I never point people to the trailer when they ask me about the game. If they want to see video files, I give them the opening cut scene to Year 2.

The only way that I can tolerate the trailer is to think that it's a parody of old movie trailers from the 40's or something. Then it's okay.

The only real problem I have with the trailer is the music. Grim Fandango had the best soundtrack I've ever heard in a game, and it doesn't seem like they used it to it's full potential.

While watching the trailer I got an idea though. Wouldn't it be interesting to play this in a movie theatre and see people's reactions? I wonder if I can make it happen.

Archived