Home

TF 2!!!!!

Troopr-Undr-Fir

Team_Fortress_2_Group_Photo_small.jpg

Click here to see larger image

:sheepdanc

Bellevue, WA, July 14, 2006 - Valve®, developer of the blockbuster series Half-Life® and Counter-StrikeTM, unveiled Team Fortress® 2 and Portal, two new games to be included in its next release, Half-Life® 2: Episode Two. In addition, the studio announced its plans to deliver these products, plus enhanced versions of Half-Life 2 and Episode One, in one tremendous package for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

"By evolving our development process to an episodic approach, we're able to reduce risk from things such as schedule and funding and invest more in new types of gameplay," said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve. "This allows us to produce innovative titles such as Portal and Team Fortress 2 and deliver them in a timely fashion to customers along with Episode Two."

Episode Two advances the 16-million unit selling franchise, as Valve's trilogy of episodic single player releases continues the award-winning story of Half-Life 2. Armed with new weaponry and vehicles, Dr. Gordon Freeman must race through a countryside riddled with an increasingly fierce Combine threat.

Team Fortress 2, an all-new version of the title that spawned team based multiplayer action games, features the most advanced graphics of any Source-based game released to date. Players choose from a range of unique character classes such as medic, spy, sniper, or engineer and must work together to complete a variety of tactical objectives.

Portal is a new type of single player game that changes how players approach, manipulate, and surmise the possibilities in a given environment in a manner similar to how the Gravity Gun changed our approach to how an object may be leveraged in any given situation.

Team Fortress 2 and Portal will be included with all retail and Steam versions of Episode Two for the PC. In addition, these products plus Half-Life 2 and Episode One will be available in one tremendous offering for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. New videos from Episode Two, Portal, and Team Fortress 2 will be released next week.

yay :)

Saw this a few days back. Definately makes EP2 sound sweet... (now i just need to play Half Life2 and Ep1 to catch up!).

Much to my surprise the majority seems to like it. I thought all the fanboys would start wailing that it didn't look "realistic" and that it didn't look like every other team based modern combat game out there. Refreshing to see that on the whole I was wrong and people still appreciate art style occasionally.

PS/ If anyone does start whining about them ruining it then they obviously never player the original, which had pretty cartoony looking characters as well.

PPS/ Almost looks like the art style from The Ship.. which looks like a very interesting HL2 mod/game.

PPPS/ If only it wasn't for stupid steam and their stupid (and probably illegal) refusal to let people sell their copies of HL2 then i'd have played it by now. Its been impossible to find in any shops round here, especially at a decent price. I'll keep looking and maybe i'll get to play HL2 by the time EP9 comes out...

...Team Fortress® 2 and Portal, two new games to be included in its next release, Half-Life® 2: Episode Two. In addition, the studio announced its plans to deliver these products, plus enhanced versions of Half-Life 2 and Episode One, in one tremendous package for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

So that means that they'll be packaging TF2, Portal, HL2, Episode 1 and Episode 2 in one package?

Or alternatively: not inspired by prey at all. :D

The team behind portal made a freeware game called Narbacular Drop which is basically exactly like Portal.

Well before Prey came out.

Valve then hired them to make a game on steam.

You can try out the stupidly named Narbacular Drop at http://www.nuclearmonkeysoftware.com/

Be aware its basically just a tech demo, as they never finished it once they got hired to work on portal. Its still quite interesting though.

*Mind Explodes*

Narbacular drop actually makes my head hurt... its a great idea for a puzzle game, but too much running through portals can get very disorienting.

I managed to pull off the thing where you get an object bouncing between two portals with one of the torches in ND.. so the light source was bouncing between two locations. That was fun.

"If at first you don't succeed..... ...you fail." :D

Since this topic seems to have gone mildly OT with the Portal game, i'm going to take it even further down that route with this cool video of them showing off the '98 version of prey... the one that had user creatable portals and destructible level geometry... and actually looked more like Portal and a great game than what we got in 2006

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7844987544204140976&q=interview+prey

That game would have blown everything else away back then when we all had quake 2 and 233Mhz machines!

Archived