Home

The sequel might be on its way...

Nick Virago

I think I've never posted on the Grim forums, and I love Grim Fandango (so very much).

And sorry if this comes a bit late, but I wanted to give my points on why it wouldn't be such a good idea to make a sequel (or prequel....or a spin off for that matter).

I totally agree that sequels are not necesarily bad (I like more Toy Story 2 than the first one. And Home Alone 2? Simply brilliant). Anyway, a Grim sequel beign a bad idea has nothing to do with the sequels issue (from my point of view).

It has a lot more to do with the fact of trying to continue or "expanding" a story that was conceived in such a way that would be ruined if exploded in those ways.

I think one of the greatest things Tim Schafer and his team achieved is the sense of mystery and uncertainty mood it's weaven beneath the story. We, for example, know very little about everybody's life when they where in the world of the living. We don't know what Manny has done in his life to be paying it in the land of the dead. And I think that's cool, not knowing that allows you (the player) to try to imagine how his previous life was and such things. Also, not knowing that is perhaps a way of driving your attention to what matters most in the story, the events that occured, the corruption and all of this subjects on which you can think about.

So, for me, the story begins and finishes in the perfect moment. And trying to explore the afters and befores with other than our own imaginations...well...I think it rather spoils things.

And basically that's why I think it wouldn't be such a good idea. Not to mention that Tim wouldn't be involved....and god only knows how an unexperienced writer and designer could ruin a brilliant story.

Sequels are good. But it depends. Usualy the sequels rely more on graphics, game play and such. People at gaming indistrys never know that people like PLOT more then gameplay

• 2 months later...

I actually tend to like sequels, but in the case of GF, I just don't think it would be possible. The story is great as it is, and any further exploration would make it lose the sense of mystery.

On the other hand, I think it would be cool to see GF ported to some consoles, notably the DS.

Actually if you wish, just buy a Flashcard for you DS, so you can play downloaded games. Then dload ScummVM DS and then you can play Lucas Arts adventure games along with Sierra titles on your DS using your touchscreen (yes the touchscreen works as a mouse).

I have Indiana Jones and TFOA, Sam & Max and Monkey Island 1&2...

Supposedly you can even put Monkey island 3 and Broken sword 2 there, but not Grim Fandango :/

Actually if you wish, just buy a Flashcard for you DS, so you can play downloaded games. Then dload ScummVM DS and then you can play Lucas Arts adventure games along with Sierra titles on your DS using your touchscreen (yes the touchscreen works as a mouse).

I have Indiana Jones and TFOA, Sam & Max and Monkey Island 1&2...

Supposedly you can even put Monkey island 3 and Broken sword 2 there, but not Grim Fandango :/

Do you have to get a certain "adapter" to put the flash card in, or can you just use the DS slot directly?

• 4 weeks later...
I actually tend to like sequels, but in the case of GF, I just don't think it would be possible. The story is great as it is, and any further exploration would make it lose the sense of mystery.

On the other hand, I think it would be cool to see GF ported to some consoles, notably the DS.

Yeah GF went with a big and very good ending since Manny and Meche went through the tunnel. But it just ended the story there. When games do that I really would prefer a remake instead of a sequel. So that game creators can put in easter eggs and other small plot points to include more to the story

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Hey... wait! Keep those pitchforks away from me!!! I'm telling the truth!

Ok, LucasArts has nothing to do with this, allow me to explain:

Have you ever heard of the Adventure Game Studio? It's a free engine used to create adventure games (duh!) with no need of knowing anything about programming. Fan-made sequels to Sam & Max or Zak McKracken have been made with this engine, and they were damn good since you can actually rip the sprites from another games (plus they had good stories).

Now, I checked the forums recently and there is some user interested in creating "Grim Fandango 2". It might take some time since you can only create 2d games with that engine (there are other engines to create 3d games, but they are far more complicated).

For further information, go to bigbluecup.com, then go to the forums and search for "Grim Fandango".

Keep your hopes (and your shotguns) down. This is only a possibility.

Well, seeing as how it was posted in 2004 and still no update, I think it's dead.

I can't say I liked his sequel idea. It takes an enormous amount of the so-called "suspension of disbelief" to accept stuff like "Manny comes back to the Land of the Dead". It's blatantly inconsistent. Once you're in the Ninth Underworld, you're there forever. No going back, and certainly not in a way you could ever interact with it as if you never left. It really cheapens the idea of Eternal Rest.

You know what kind of GF2 I'd like to see? The simple 4 year journey of a soul who didn't earn anything better than a walking stick. That's it. No Manny, no Meche, no nonsense like old sprouted characters coming back to life, maybe a short part where Glottis is featured but that's it.

Agree, don't mind a sequal, but it must have different characters and a new original plot. Use those two requirements as a base line, then work up from there.

A good way to come up with a new plot would be to watch other famous noir films not already referred to in GF1

Archived