Home

Microsoft goes after Apple's iPod

Char Ell

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As long as Apple stays at the cutting edge of technology, they'll make it. They lose that edge, though, and MS will be chomping on their behinds.
I think that goes for any company in the technology biz. The introduction of new technologies occurs so quickly now that if a leading company makes a few missteps it can quickly find itself trailing its competition. Case in point: Microsoft in the web browser arena. MS took things over from Netscape but once MS achieved a position of dominance it slacked on IE development and Firefox stepped in to take the technological lead. If history is any indicator of future behavior MS has shown how tenacious it can be when it sets its mind to being the leader in a particular market segment.

And quite possibly their front ends while they're at it.
:eyeraise: Ummm...yeah....any comment that comes to mind in regards to this statement is immediately struck down by my internal censor. :D

You don't even need the 30GB, really. I have a 1GB Nano, and that's more than I need...
Actually I'm waiting for a 6 GB Nano to come out as my 2nd gen 10 GB iPod got dropped one too many times and is no longer functional. I have about 5 GB of music I want in my mobile music library.

You don't even need the 30GB, really. I have a 1GB Nano, and that's more than I need...
actually, i've already hit the 3GB mark just with my music. throw in a couple of my absolute favorite DVD movies (ripped from my personal collection), and i've already used up about 17GB of space on my iPod. still, 30GB is still more than enough.

as for the Zune, it looks exactly as i would've imagined: like an iPod hack. and that huge color screen?? that might give you about 1 hour of battery life, especially if you can't control the backlight. M$ fails yet again. :rolleyes:

iPods aren't exactly "cutting edge". They're hard drives with an LCD screen and touchpad.

In terms of what they've done for music portability, they are cutting edge. I grew up with a Walkman when _that_ was cutting edge, and I was happy when I got one that would play a single cassette and later thought one that could play a CD was the best thing since sliced bread. It's not what they are, it's what they've done for music, and the industry with iTunes, that puts them way ahead of the curve.

You can't get a 1Gb nano. The smallest Nano they do is 2Gb

I've got a Nano right here in my hand. The back says, and I quote:

{APPLE LOGO}

iPod

|1GB|

Serial No.:{Serial Number}

Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China

Model No.: A1137 EMC No.: 2066 Rated 5-30V --- 1A Mzx.

RM and © Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved.

In terms of what they've done for music portability, they are cutting edge. I grew up with a Walkman when _that_ was cutting edge, and I was happy when I got one that would play a single cassette and later thought one that could play a CD was the best thing since sliced bread. It's not what they are, it's what they've done for music, and the industry with iTunes, that puts them way ahead of the curve.
I guess so. However, take another media player like this for instance. It plays MP3s, MPEG-4, AVI, and WMV video (protected and non-protected), and records NTSC-quality video (NTSC is the standard format for televisions in the U.S. as well as many other countries). It's also 100 GB. You also don't have to get stuck with iTunes (which I hate) and Quicktime (which I also hate) on your computer.

I am going to make a prediction, which I am sure a majority would disagree. However, I can see a change happening.

Microsoft will have full assimulation of Machintosh. Ever since Machintosh incorporated the Intel chip, and I learned that Microsoft Windows can work on them, I got this feeling that we will see MacOS being phased out in the next five to ten years. I keep hearing how great the dual operating system is on the new Macs, but the PCs have been doing this forever. I think part of Vista's delay is because Microsoft knew Machintosh was going to make the announcement. I think that Microsoft is going to engineer MS Vista to not work on the new Macs intentionally. I cen see them releasing an extrodinarily expensive version of Vista for the Mac, but you will not be able to use a PC installation CD.

I will also make a bet that Microsoft will create a version of Vista based upon MacOS codding, so that virus will no longer be a constant problem.

---------------------------------------

Microsoft is about absolute assimulation of all information technology. This is only a logical step in their efforts, and I bet Microsoft will make them more affordable.

Are you serious?

have you guys seen what it looks like (or atleast what I might look like). It's not too bad looking, especially considering it's from MS.

zune_player_big.jpg

If that is indeed a picture of a MS Zune player... :drop2: Talk about a blatant rip-off. I always thought MS had no shame but if there were any doubts this clears them for me. If the picture is an accurate image that is.

as for the Zune, it looks exactly as i would've imagined: like an iPod hack.

Ain't that the truth.

Are you serious? If that is indeed a picture of a MS Zune player... :drop2: Talk about a blatant rip-off. I always thought MS had no shame but if there were any doubts this clears them for me. If the picture is an accurate image that is.

Ain't that the truth.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. (or something like that)

Might make Apple's legal team very happy with thoughts of legal action for patent infringement or whatever the official term is for blatently copying another company's product like this.

ipods are ugly :(

aesthetics are important. As far as sexiness goes, I like the olymous m-robes( though I havent got one).

OlympusMRobeMR100_445.jpg

As far as awesome media functionality goes, the upcoming/newly released LG PM70 portable media centre has the most diverse support in terms of playing all the popular formats without conversion(unlike psp or current portable media center)

lg_pm70_portable_media_center.jpg

Though not really as sexy, the ultimate as far as functionaliy(IMO) is the htec muse, a prototype model is shown below. They are shipping later this year(initially in the UK with phone co Orange and are:

*3g/UMTS mobile phone ie. video calls

*standard GSM quad band/cdma phone

*PDA running windows mobile 5(ie. include outlook, word, excel) and support all the nifty PDA apps out there

*4gb on board memory plus extra 4g+ via SD

I love using pda/phones - they are a phone, they are a pda and they can be used for pocket gaming(including gb/gba/nes/snes/genesis emulator) and they can be used for work - all of this ACTUALLY fitting in your pocket :)

HTC_Muse_l.jpg

I am really looking forward to picking one up as soon as they hit the shelves..

apple can keep their crappy 1985 LCD screens... *boo* :blast5:

mtfbwya

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. (or something like that)

Might make Apple's legal team very happy with thoughts of legal action for patent infringement or whatever the official term is for blatently copying another company's product like this.

Seeing as Creative are trying to sue Apple (last I heard) for using a set of buttons in a circular arrangement, which they claim to have "invented", Apple might not be so quick to sue Microsoft for similar design plagiarism (if you could really call a button layout an innovation). And none of their earlier GUI related lawsuits where they attempted to sue Microsoft for liberally "borrowing" interface elements from MacOS for the Windows GUI got very far. :)

Judging from those images Microsoft's player looks rather ugly compared to iPods, but I suppose that's a matter of taste. ;)

I guess so. However, take another media player like this for instance. It plays MP3s, MPEG-4, AVI, and WMV video (...snip...)

It also costs the same as a decent computer, quite a bit over the top for a portable music player if you ask me. Chances are you'll get mugged if you walk around with something like that in a public place. :)

Microsoft will have full assimulation of Machintosh. :cyb2:

Platform war instigation attempt detected? Are there any facts you base this theory on, or is it pure speculation? Apple has made fairly well for themselves in their tiny niche of the market so far for more than 2 decades. They have a loyal, bordering on fanatic, core customer base who would hardly stand for such a thing. Nothing I've seen so far indicates a change.

The switch to Intel processor based hardware was merely a natural step to not be left behind in the hardware race. The PPC processor development had slowed down considerably and the G5 was unable to compete with Intel and AMDs newer processor series. The brand of processor used in the hardware is in no way critical to making a computer a "Mac". Being able to run both MacOS and Windows on the machines doesn't hurt either, since it allows people who need to use both to stick with one computer.

Besides, Apple is probably more useful to Microsoft as an independent entity since they provide someone to point at when people accuse MS of having monopoly on the Desktop OS market. That, and Apple tend to be fairly innovative, providing ideas for MS to "borrow" for their own products (as seems to be the case with the portable music players this thread discusses). :)

Platform war instigation attempt detected? Are there any facts you base this theory on, or is it pure speculation? Apple has made fairly well for themselves in their tiny niche of the market so far for more than 2 decades. They have a loyal, bordering on fanatic, core customer base who would hardly stand for such a thing. Nothing I've seen so far indicates a change.

The switch to Intel processor based hardware was merely a natural step to not be left behind in the hardware race. The PPC processor development had slowed down considerably and the G5 was unable to compete with Intel and AMDs newer processor series. The brand of processor used in the hardware is in no way critical to making a computer a "Mac". Being able to run both MacOS and Windows on the machines doesn't hurt either, since it allows people who need to use both to stick with one computer.

Actually I am speculating on Machintosh's history. In the U.S., Machintosh computers have done lousy over the decades. Before the G5's lack of competition, the IMacs suffered from not being affordable or versitile. Machintosh does have loyal customers, but the company has allways suffered from their discisions to be a exclusive system.

I use Macs at work all the time. I like their product, but I refuse to buy them. They are too expensive, and they keep falling behind.

I am also looking at Microsoft's history. They are a dominate force in the operating system world. This has to do with try to make their products and computers more affordable. This also included their ability to be relentless.

MS Office is an example of their foothold. MS Office for Macs was due to the lack of interest in Machintosh computers, and it is due to Microsoft's relentless ability to seek absolute assimilation.

What does Intel have to do with Micro$oft?

Apple implemented an Intel x486 architecture base.. NOT anything done by Micro$oft... I think this is where alot of misconception is happening. The fact of the matter is that Intel and Microsoft are on 'shaky grounds' as it currently stands ;)

And as far as "falling behind".. where did you get that from? Apple has been far in the leading edge in implementation, design and development. I can understand if you mean "software choices/availability", but there is absolutely nothing lacking as far as from a technological stand-point.

MS Office is an example of their foothold. MS Office for Macs was due to the lack of interest in Machintosh computers, and it is due to Microsoft's relentless ability to seek absolute assimilation.

come again? :confused:

Trust me, Microsoft Office was or never will be the "saving grace" for a Mac ;)

Again, the main reason for Office was because many businesses were transitioning to the Mac platform and Microsoft was losing business. Apple had all intentions of dropping the Office suite until they struck a 5 year deal to keep the support for the product. Part of that deal was the the Microsoft Office BU (business unit) would be comprised of Apple employees, implementing the port and re-write of code to make it Mac standard/compatible...

There are TONS of optional Office suites available for Mac, Office is just one of them...

To quote the man himself:

“To create a new standard, it takes something that’s not just a little bit different, it takes something that’s really new and really captures people’s imagination and the Macintosh, of all the machines I’ve ever seen, is the only one that meets that standard.” — Bill Gates

It also costs the same as a decent computer, quite a bit over the top for a portable music player if you ask me. Chances are you'll get mugged if you walk around with something like that in a public place. :)
They make cheaper ones, I believe they start at 30 GB. The 100 GB one was just the first one on the list of products for that manufacturer.

Judging from those images Microsoft's player looks rather ugly compared to iPods, but I suppose that's a matter of taste. ;)

I consider both the "zune" and "ipods" to be ugly and stupidly named. But hey everyone seems to have stupid names for their products these days anyway. "Wii" instead of "Revolution", "Xbox 360" instead of "Xenon". Code names for products seem to get the good name and the marketing name seems silly in comparrison.

Chances are you'll get mugged if you walk around with something like that in a public place. :)

You get for wearing an ipod now. People see those little white head phones and rob people because of it. :)

yeah, the $400 dollar one is the 60gb version, which unless you're just one of those people that "have to have the big'un" the 30gb is more than ample for listening to music or a few vids :D[/url]

Yeah, I guess I am one of “those people.” I over spent getting the 60gb version. I have 4106 items on it including 46 videos and I’m only using 15.85gb. Even if I would have only gotten the 30gb I still would never have to worry about filling it up.

what's with the iPod bashing all the sudden?? it took a bit of a learning curve for me to mostly understand the iTunes interface, but it really isn't that bad (heck, i was able to teach my incredibly computer illiterate mother on how to use it). otherwise, the iPod itself is a great little player. i personally love how good the audio quality can be on that little player (i use a very nice set of headphones at home and an upgraded set of earbuds everywhere else).

and don't forget that the popularity of the iPod means that there is a ton of little extras that you can get for it which is definately something that you can't say about the vast majority of other media players out there. it is a big advantage no matter how you look at it.

in all honesty, i don't think i'll end up maxing out my iPod, so 100GB or even 60GB is just a tad on the rediculous side unless you want to load a bunch of *.wav format files or a low compression format video onto your player. if you can get a good video recompression tool, its not very difficult to get things into the right format and an equally decent size.

Yeah, I guess I am one of “those people.” I over spent getting the 60gb version. I have 4106 items on it including 46 videos and I’m only using 15.85gb. Even if I would have only gotten the 30gb I still would never have to worry about filling it up.

Don't worry.. I am too (one of those people) and am in the same boat as you ;)

That's why I'd suggest that the 30gb is going to be more than ample for most people.. however, the one advantage I have with my 60gb is that it works great as an external storage device as well...

Granted, all iPods have the capability, but the 60gb gives you more "breathing room" :D

Music, Videos & Harddrive .. I :3heart: my iPod

Archived