Home

[Fic] Star Wars: Assassination Protocols

yes, you can close your long dropped jaw. it is finally here! the moment you've all been waiting for! yes, i can see the suspense in some of your faces, this is about our favourite KotOR character! now, calm down, don't jump around and get a seizure! (especially our 'older' members :p) this is your very own! (well, my very own) HK 47 FANFIC!

*thunderous applause*

:D

okay, i'll give a more sane introduction. this is the story of HK-47, our favourite assassin droid from the KotOR series and it takes place after the battle of Koseyet. i did a check in Wookieepedia and noted that they used the "galaxy's guide to droids" and "SW Galaxies: trials of obi wan" as sources. i'm not very sure about Galaxies, but the "guide to droids" is an authentic source, so i used the info it gave and compiled my story. it is set 2.5 years ABY (after battle of yavin). The rebellion is very much existent and may play a minor part in the story, but the main character is HK himself. i think it is high time that we had our very own story about him.

© RC 1162 2006.

check here for more info

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hkficheader.jpg

“I told you we should have never bothered coming here,” complained Dale. “There’s nothing here other than a bunch of destroyed droids and a whole lot of lava.”

“Why don’t you stop complaining and look at this from a different point of view?” his friend, Alan, said. “Haven't you heard of the Battle of Koseyet?”

The two men were smugglers, and had come to Mustafar on hearing about a source of treasure near the Koseyet mining camp. The Battle of Koseyet had taken place about a year ago and was fought between the locals and an army of assassin and combat droids built by the famed HK-47. The locals eventually won, of course and sought to destroy the leader of the army himself, but all they received was a message confirming that HK-47 was still functioning effectively and it gave the locals its admiration at being able to defeat its army. They also received a decorative hologram of the assassin droid and a plaque that read “Meatbag”. The droid had never been heard of since.

“Yeah, I know what it is,” said Dale in a bored voice as he followed his partner around the large igneous rock-formed valley, with two rivers of lava flowing on either side. Far enough to render the place safe to travel without a heat shield but close enough to make them sweat profusely anyway. He took a swig from a large bottle slung on his shoulder and kicked the destroyed remains of a unit from HK-47’s army. “So what treasure are we after anyway?” he continued.

“Isn't that what we came here to find out?” replied Alan. “The Hutt on Nar Shaddaa gave us this valley as the alleged area to locate the treasure.”

“Are you seriously going to give him 50% of what we find?” Dale asked.

“Yes, of what we find,” said Alan with a wry smile as they trudged along on the rocky terrain. “And as far as I know, the Hutt has no way of knowing how much we find.”

Dale grinned at that and took another sip of his water. He had sealed the bottle just in time, because the next second, he was falling onto the ground. He landed hard on the hot surface and the wind was knocked out of him. As he lay there, gasping for breath, Alan was inspecting what was now near Dale’s feet. The latter managed to get his breath back and sat up a bit, nursing his forearm, which he had hit hard on the ground, trying to cushion his fall.

“Maybe this can be used to our advantage,” said Alan, peering intently at the object.

“What is it?” asked Dale as he got to his knees and began examining the wreckage. It was a broken droid, just like the others, but this droid’s torso seemed relatively undamaged.

“This droid seems to be more undamaged than the others. We could probably take its memory core and try to find out about the treasure.” Alan said.

“Good idea, but I heard that the droids that fought in this battle had memory cores that had to be installed in another droid unit to be read or accessed,” said Dale. “We need another droid to get the info out of this.”

“We’ll take care of that later,” said Dale. “First things first, remove its memory core.”

Dale took out a small fusioncutter and a pressure screwdriver that he always carried and proceeded to remove the chest plate of the broken droid. After several minutes of cursing and banging, the plate was off and the two smugglers were staring at a mess of charred wires and circuit boards. They could see a hole in the back plate of the torso which suggested that a sniper shot had taken it out.

“I don’t have any hopes for the memory core if the internal assembly is so kaput,” said Dale. “But I’ll check anyway.”

He yanked out wires and circuits, searching for the rounded cuboid of a memory core. For the first few minutes, he had no luck. Then he spotted it: the core was wedged into the droid’s upper torso between its shoulders. Carefully, he pulled it off the leads and removed it from the droid body.

“Okay, now we need a droid to read the memory core,” said Dale.

“No problem,” said Alan. “We can use the C model droid that is taking care of the ship.”

“That droid?” said Dale with a laugh. “It doesn’t even belong to us. How can we get authorization to replace its memory core?”

“We do what we do best,” replied Alan with a grin as he started walking back to the docking bay.

The space yacht streaked through hyperspace and Dale worked on replacing the memory core of the C-3PO model droid they had stolen from the docking bay on Mustafar.

“Are you sure that the docking bay guard won’t manage to put two and two together and get us effectively banned from setting foot on that planet again?” said Dale as he worked. Alan was lounging in a seat nearby and looked very relaxed.

“Calm down,” he said. “When we manage to locate the treasure, we’ll just buy them a new droid.”

“So, why are we going to Nar Shaddaa now?” Dale asked.

“I have an engineer pal who sells his services on the black market, very expensive fella.” Alan said. “But I managed to save his neck from the authorities once and ever since, he’s been giving me free services. I’d like to make a copy of the stuff in this droid’s memory core, just in case we need it later on.”

Dale nodded and continued his work. Fifteen minutes later, when Alan had fallen asleep on the chair with his feet on the table and balancing himself precariously on the two back legs of the chair, Dale announced his success triumphantly,

“Done it!” he shouted.

CRASH!

The shout had startled Dale’s napping partner and caused him to fall over backwards off the chair.

“I hate it when you do that,” said Alan as he pulled himself to his feet, rubbing the back of his head.

“Sorry about that,” said Dale as Alan took his seat. “But I finished the droid.”

“Good job,” congratulated Alan. “Switch it on, let’s see what happens.”

Dale flipped the power switch of the droid and stepped back. The servomotors of the droid whirred to life and its photoreceptors glowed brightly. With a grind of gears, it managed to sit upright, and then stood up.

“Query: Where am I, sentient?” it said.

Dale and Alan exchanged a small glance.

“We rescued your memory core from a pile of rubble on a distant planet, droid,” said Alan. “And now, if you would be so kind as to return the favour and provide us the information we need, we’d highly appreciate that.”

@ Pottsie, yes, i'll do it like you :D two fics together. i hope i dont get confused now. :D

Well I suppose you could delay the Galactic Conquest for awhile. I tried doing too many Fics at the same time and it wrecked my life. Well not really, just made writing alot harder.

yeah, i know. i'm not really in the jig with GC right now, cant think straight, so i started this. Don't worry, that wont go forgotten. HK FANS HEAD HERE!!! :D

EDIT: next chapter, HK gets a surprise all right, but "deals" with it :D (pun totally intended :p)

The restored droid looked down at itself and noticed its silver C-3PO model body.

“Statement: This is not the proper shell a droid of my build,” it said.

“Yeah, well, that’s all we could find,” said Alan. “Live with it.”

“Query: How would you like a profitable deal, sentient?” the droid asked after a few minutes. The two smugglers exchanged glances once again and looked back at the droid.

“What kind of deal?” asked Dale.

“Answer: One which will be very profitable to you, sentient. I believe I already mentioned that.”

“Okay, you’ve got our attention,” said Alan. “What are the terms?”

“Specifications: Build me my original body shell and I shall reward you sufficiently and also provide you with the information you seek.” The droid said.

“So, where is your bank account?” asked Dale.

“Statement: That is irrelevant,” replied the droid. “The deal will be observed, provided you keep up your end of the bargain.”

“Okay, tin can,” said Alan. “You’ve got yourself a deal.”

Nar Shaddaa was the same as ever, gloomy skies with the occasional greasy drizzle of rain. There were no rules on this moon. It was a ‘hunt or be hunted’ type of place, and Alan and Dale were very proficient in the position of hunters. They took the droid to Alan’s engineer friend’s hideout. His name, it seemed, was Xan.

The door of Xan’s high-security warehouse creaked open and inside stood a small man, around his 40s, most probably.

“Xan, how’s life?” said Alan with a small smile and Dale nodded to the engineer.

“As interesting as a life can get on Nar Shaddaa,” replied Xan with a mirror of Alan’s smile. “Come on in.”

The trio walked into the huge warehouse and Xan shut the door and code-locked it behind him.

“So, what do you need, old friend?” asked Xan, coming up to the smugglers and their rescued droid. Alan explained all about how they had found the droid’s memory core and needed Xan to build a new body shell for it.

“We believe this droid has the information we need to locater the treasure,” said Alan. “But it says that we have to give it back its original body shell to do that.”

Xan looked at the protocol droid.

“I would be able to do it, but I need the blueprints of its original body shell.” Xan said.

“Statement: That is not a problem, sentient,” said the droid. “I have the blueprints stored in my memory banks. My manufacturer did so to help him out in case I had to be repaired in an emergency. I will need a pair of datacards.”

Xan took the droid to his workbench and gave it two datacards. The droid asked for its torso plate to be removed. Once done, it located a thin slot in his memory core that Dale and Alan had somehow missed. Inserting the datacards in succession into the slot, the droid downloaded all the plans onto them.

“Excellent,” said Xan, taking the cards. “I’ll be done in about a week.

A week was a long time to be stuck on a backwater world like Nar Shaddaa, but Alan and Dale were used to this place and knew most of it like the back of their hands. They spent most of the time on Alan’s yacht and played Sabacc or Pazaak while the droid wandered around the ship, occasionally exchanging garble with the ship’s AI navi-computer. Finally the 168 hours of waiting were over and the group made their way back to Xan’s warehouse.

“It’s nothing like I’ve ever seen before,” the small engineer said, going up to a humanoid object covered with a white sheet. “I’ve run a Holo-Net search on this design but with no avail. It seems the design and make of this model is unique.”

Xan yanked the sheet to reveal a tall droid body shell. It was deactivated, but the exterior was clearly an amazing sight for both the smugglers and a source of personal pride for Xan at being able to build the unique design.

“I’ve made some upgrades and adjustments according to our latest technology and I can guarantee you that this droid is equipped with the finest of today’s technology.”

“So,” Alan said, staring at the droid body. “How much will it set us back?”

“At my calculations, a hundred and twenty-two thousand, four hundred and sixty-five credits for the material themselves, and a further two thousand credits for my services, but because you helped me out that time, I’ll cut it down to a thousand.”

“But you told me you would give me free services from then on!” complained Alan.

“Don’t kid yourself,” said Xan. “This thing really had me pulling some of the most dangerous strings ever. I think I deserve a pretty good amount for it, even if only this once.”

“Alright,” grumbled Alan. “We’ll see what we can do.”

Xan turned to the C-3PO model, which was silent all throughout the exchange.

“So, what do you think of it?” he asked the droid. “Is it to your specifications?”

“Observation: It appears you have changed my original paint scheme to black and rust red,” said the droid.

“Ah, yes,” said Xan. “I thought a black and red color scheme would look better on a frame like this. I’ve also updated your photoreceptors. They are now blue.”

“Request: I would like my memory core to be transferred now, sentient,” said the droid.

Xan nodded and got to work. He was finished in record time and activated the new droid. Its photoreceptors gleamed a bright blue and it suddenly had a menacing look about it with the black and red paint.

“Thank you for returning me to my original body, meatbags,” said the droid. “I suppose it is time for proper introductions. I am HK-47, a fully functional assassin droid hand-crafted originally by Darth Revan himself.”

All the three men in the warehouse widened their eyes in shock.

“You are the HK-47?” said Dale with fear evident in his voice. “The leader of the droid army on Mustafar?”

“Correct, meatbag. I was leading the droid troops against those who I believed had taken my original body from me. However, my troops were defeated, but I survived and escaped to one of my hideouts on Mustafar. I was going to eliminate a particular meatbag on one fateful day when I was hit by a sniper shot to my back. However, thanks to your assistance, I am now in proper working order.”

This clarification had a severe effect on the two smugglers. They brought their rifles up and, targeting lasers on HK, pulled the triggers. They failed to realize what was between the droid and themselves and the first volley hit Xan and dropped him in 2 seconds.

“Damn!” cursed Alan and he fired again at HK. However, the droid was ready this time and a semi-transparent reddish shield formed itself in a sphere around the droid. The laser bolts of Dale and Alan just bounced off the newly established shield. HK brought his mechanical right arm up and a panel opened up on his forearm. A small tube whirred into view and spat fire at the pair of smugglers. The flamethrower effectively set both Alan and Dale on fire, causing them to drop their blasters and run around in an excruciating hysteria, screaming and writhing, rolling on the ground, but the flames overcame them and they were nothing but charred corpses in the next few minutes.

“Stupid meatbags,” HK mumbled. He went up to Xan’s workbench and took the two datacards that contained his updated schematics. Inserting them in succession into a datapad, he quickly noted all the changes into his memory, and then took both the datacards in his metallic palm. Gears worked as HK’s palm closed into a hard, durasteel fist, effectively crushing the datacards to pieces. He opened his palm and let the splinters fall. Then he went up to the blasters that the smugglers had dropped and picked them up. Slinging both of them over his shoulder, he left the warehouse.

Another great Chapter. I wouldn't have given HK a new body, but I suppose it was for the best. I'm looking foward to more. Galactic Conquest Fics like yours aren't the type of Fics I write, so I might understand why you can't write anything else for the moment.

Ah, things are starting to get interesting. I'm a little disapointed with a black frame, but it doesn't matter, because the rest looks good.

I was thinking of writing a fic called Masters of HK-47, but it would look too much like Jae's Adventures of Jolee Bindo, so I changed my mind.

i know about the query, statement and all the other things, they will be explained in the next chapter ;). he might not have an astromech droid counterpart, but he will meet someone else.

@ igyman: his frame is not totally black, it's black and rust red. i thought i would compromise :D

I just read the first two chapters and I find it to be particularly interesting. You have managaed to capture HK's murderous nature quite well though I hope to see some of the comedic versions. This looks like the makings of a good adventure. I see that you have spaced the dialogue and that's good. It's easier on the eyes. You did well at making indication of changes of scenery. Keep it up.

YAAAY! thanks a lot, JM12 and Hall. i aim to please :D

now if only the Chronicler herself would check this out, but i'm not forcing anyone.

sorry about the next chapter guys, but it'll be a bit delayed. i'm watching SmackDown :D

A droid walking out alone on Nar Shaddaa is always bad news; for the droid, that is. HK was no different. Even the sight of the two blaster rifles slung on each shoulder of the restored assassin droid was not enough to scare away the most desperate types for money, hence, HK was in more than a few skirmishes with droid-nappers, as he would like to put it. After sticking the muzzle of his rifles into his umpteenth oppressor and pulling the trigger, he began to get annoyed. Then he stopped walking altogether.

Droids weren’t supposed to feel. They weren’t capable of feeling at all, and yet, here was HK, the galaxy’s most elite assassin droid, annoyance, and right now…confusion, HK recognized. He could not explain it; perhaps something had hit him in his never-ending encounters with salvagers. Feeling was entirely a new thing to him, and if he was programmed to shudder, he would have done so now. He suddenly had a thought and called up his updated plans. As his skimmed through the changes, another hopeful future-HK-owner came up behind him. HK’s droid sensors alerted him to the advance and the assassin droid turned around to face the attacker. It was a Rodian, a common alien species on the Smuggler’s Moon, secondly popular only to humans and Hutts.

“Go away, meatbag,” said HK and aimed the muzzles of his rifles at the Rodian. This was one of the cowardly types on whom intimidation worked wonders. The alien stumbled backwards and ran like heck away from HK. The droid, owing to his programming, felt that pulling the firing studs now and hearing the Rodian scream like his other oppressors would be a good comeback, but something in him stirred and he could not bring it upon himself to kill the alien. By now, his would-be target was already far away and HK dropped his arms to his sides again, totally at a loss, unable to explain why he, a sadistic, brutal and efficient killing machine, had failed to do what he did best. He returned to the skimming edits in his blueprints and programming, and got his answer. Had he been fitted with a jaw, it would have dropped two meters. He read Xan’s update note that was stored alongside the edited blueprints.

I have never come across a droid of this configuration before in the history of my engineering education and career. I have done extensive research on the Holo Net and have sufficient evidence that states that his droid was most probably a military unit present at the Battle of Koseyet on Mustafar. No doubt this is incredible news, as all the droids that played part in the battle were declared ‘damaged beyond repair’. I have finished the droid with a few upgrades from his older technology and placed all the best of each component in it. I have also resolved to use this model as my test subject for the “Droid Emotion Chip” that I have created. I have not recorded its installation location within the droid should this unit be captured or destroyed and somebody come across its memory core as my friends did. But owing to this chip, this droid is now fully capable of experiencing emotion at the same level as that of humans. This may be a pro or a con, depending on how the droid uses those emotions. I hope I’m around when this droid makes the news.

On a minor note, I have removed certain parts in its programming that required it to clarify the type of statement he was going to express.

HK was shocked, another new emotion that he had never experienced. And yet, due to the information stored in the Emotion Chip, he recognized it.

“Oh no!” HK said, distressed. “I’ve been meatbagized!”

Eric Richard was also a frequent flyer to Nar Shaddaa, and in all his years of smuggling, he had never come across a droid standing all alone in the dark, seedy streets of the Smuggler’s Moon. Hence, when he came up to the black and red droid, holding a blaster rifle in each hand, staring out into open space, he was debating whether or not to shout at it to see if it was online. It was a silent night, so it was only natural that Eric nearly jumped out of his skin when the droid suddenly shouted in distress: something about a meatbag. No matter; he took a few steps backward and cautiously spoke.

“Excuse me?”

The droid turned its ice blue photoreceptors at him and they looked fearsome in the dark background.

“What do you want, meatbag?” it asked.

“Are you okay? Is your master around?” Eric asked quietly.

“Okay? Why yes, sentient, I am fine! I mean, I have just been reactivated to discover that I now possess the particulars of a meatbag! Would you like that?” the droid snapped.

“Calm down, droid,” said Eric. “What do you mean by ‘meatbag’?”

“I mean organic water-bodies such as yourself.”

“I see,” said Eric, undeterred. “Do you need help? Is your master around?”

“I am a fully independent droid now, meatbag,” said the droid and raised his blasters. “So don’t try to capture me like all the other idiots.”

“Easy there,” said Eric. “What are you going to do if you have human qualities and are independent?”

*For a meatbag, he caught on pretty quick*, thought HK.

“I was thinking of working as a mercenary, to do what I do best,” said the droid.

“Well,” said Eric. “I’m kind of a mercenary too. Do you want to join me?”

HK felt his emotion chip kicking in. He sort of admired this person. He had the definite coolness to his gait, but was resilient at the same time.

“Very well,” said HK. “I kind of like you anyway. What's your name?”

“I’m Eric Richard,” Eric replied and held out his hand. “Your model number?”

And he had that silly sense of humor too. HK took Eric’s hand and shok sharply twice. It was a curious incident, shaking hands with a droid.

“I am HK-47, professional assassin droid,” said HK. “I hope you’re not uncomfortable with that.”

Eric just chuckled and motioned for HK to follow him and they started walking.

“I’ve dealt with my fare share of assassins. Don’t worry about it.” He said.

Archived