Home

The Tech Demo, Rumored for KOTOR 3 and Vader

Mister Chief

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yer sure id prefer the combat system to stay the same. But if they do change it im not going to go mental, ill just be happy theres kotor 3

Absolutley. While I love the turn based style to the first to games, the story was the element that has made the game so iconic to me. As long they tell a great story and compelling characters, I couldn't care less if they made it real time.

Admittedly it looks cool but i think it is pre-rendered or whatever it is you call it. The bit with the force lightning and the group of stormtroopers just looks like a complete cutscene for a proper game. As for the tie fighter flying past and the debris thrown up into it's path, it didnt look like gameplay footage to me. The only bit that did convince me was the first force push at the beginning as it reminded me of Kotor, the rest, i think it's not what it appears.

Something to look at though is the stormtrooper that is flung into the air against the metal column then the column comes with him. Watch it a few times and then ask yourself, is it a cutscene or ingame.

actually, if the physics effects are there just for added show than actual gameplay, then i'm all for it being apart of Kotor 3. just imagine how things would look if you used Force Wave on a group of baddies that slammed them into some metal walls. then you could have a nice visual with ragdoll effects on the baddies plus the benefit of dents on the walls. it wouldn't change the gameplay, just the way things look. ;)

This I can agree with. Adding things like new visual effects and reactions to force powers in to K3 I can see working, changing the game to a Jedi Knight style would ruin the game IMO.

I do like how the stormtrooper grabs on to the ship to try stop himself from being flung around some more!

Admittedly it looks cool but i think it is pre-rendered or whatever it is you call it. The bit with the force lightning and the group of stormtroopers just looks like a complete cutscene for a proper game. As for the tie fighter flying past and the debris thrown up into it's path, it didnt look like gameplay footage to me. The only bit that did convince me was the first force push at the beginning as it reminded me of Kotor, the rest, i think it's not what it appears.

Something to look at though is the stormtrooper that is flung into the air against the metal column then the column comes with him. Watch it a few times and then ask yourself, is it a cutscene or ingame.

The trooper reacting realistically and grabbing onto the pipe is part of LA's new AI system being used in the new Indiana Jones game and I'd assume all their new games, so that isnt scripted. Basically, when falling, instead of just going limp (ala ragdoll) the NPC will react realistically and try to prevent itself from falling anyway possible.

The rest I agree on though, the lift/lightning seemed very much like a cutscene.

it does look awesome, does look a bit cut scene like, but games will reach a point that the graphics of cut scene's are as good as overall gameplay (i know some kotor scenes are jus norma, but you guys know wat i mean) it does look good, that said, im happy with my laptop (i can play obilvion on it :-D), and i cant jus go out an buy a console/computer to just play a new set of games like the one pictured (if thats not a cutscene)!

The trooper reacting realistically and grabbing onto the pipe is part of LA's new AI system being used in the new Indiana Jones game and I'd assume all their new games, so that isnt scripted.
True that this tech demo showcases Digital Molecular Matter, the technology LEC purchased from Pixelux. However I'm pretty sure the entire thing is pre-rendered.

im happy with my laptop (i can play obilvion on it :-D)
Unless you have a heavy duty laptop you must be playing TES 4: Oblivion with mundane graphics settings. Everything I've read about Oblivion says the game can bring most PC's to their knees when running full AA and AF.

game sites have always said that kotor 3 will be real time, even though they are only rumours.
The first two were real time. The question is, whether they will be "action" type games. :)

This would be much better as a JK game...

That looks cool , really really cool, but if thats what KOTOR III is going to be like, I need a new computer. I've grown to like the Real time turn based play of the two KOTOR's so far, so i don't know if I want a change. That whole energy build up on the hands thing and the massive earthquake from the lightsaber looked kinda fakey and un Star Wars, any one else think that?

I really doubt it is to showcase tech for K3. This looks to be much more the FPS variety.

Indeed. the way they moved, it really seemd to be a shooter-like engine. Also, in kotor, the enemies stand still, and your actin are repetative. In this one, the enemies moved (semi :xp: )intelligent, and the moves were linked in sort of combo's.

In two words: Jedi Knight

Well, it is super nice. THough I thik physics engine is more important for action games than rpgs. In rpgs you can script those effects more, since everyhing like damage and success is a scripted dice rolling one way or another. But action game types would benefit nicely.

Oh ... where did this JK3 (actually JK4, JK3 is JA) news/rumor thingy come from?? THough yeah, it will be great, not just for JK series and Vader, but other action series as well. Maybe a Dark Times Jedi Game??

Yeah that link says it all about how it is pre-vis. I read this on gamespot before

"LucasArts contacted GameSpot to clarify a few pieces of information. The video was given out to members of Hyperspace, the company's online Star Wars community. The clip is also a "pre-visualization"--a video made to give people an idea of what to expect in the upcoming game, and is not running on the game's engine."

To be honest, these tech demo's are never like the real game, more like a concept car that you saw 10 years ago and no car has even come close to it today. Even though it would be good, i think this video is eye-candy for fanboys at hyperspace and E3 and that's all.

Archived