Home

The Tech Demo, Rumored for KOTOR 3 and Vader

Mister Chief

Nice post, kookabura. After all of the people that speculated some of the footage was rendered from the game engine, it was funny to read how Haden Blackman and team made the video, got it approved by all the LucasArts hierarchy, including George himself, and then realized that they had to make a game that would be like what they visualized. :lol: Funny. So much for that in-game rendering idea, heh-heh-heh.

I liked this Haden Blackman quote from IGN's interview.

In terms of being "accurate" with the use of the Force, we're committed to creating powers that are logical and believable extensions of the Force as seen in the films, and provide tremendous gameplay opportunities. As a diehard Star Wars fan myself, I know that one of the big questions fans have when they see the video is "Why is that Jedi using Force lightning?" It's a legitimate question, but we think it'll make a lot more sense to everyone once they know a bit more about the story. I think we've got a story that will please everyone from the most hardcore to the most casual of Star Wars fans. But we're not talking about that just yet…
Awww, come on. You can tell us. We'll keep your secret. :angel:

So end of 2007 maybe we'll see this game. I bet LEC will have something more substantial to demo at E3 2007. But this also makes me think that KotOR 3 is totally off the LEC radar scope right now. :( If that is true then 2008 may be the earliest we could see the next KotOR. Oh well, at least there will be another SW game to play when this "Star Wars: Force Unleashed" (working title) is released late 2007.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am far less than satisfied by this demo-video-preview-whatever.

Reasons:

1. I'd rather see what they HAVE, rather than what we can "expect to see".

2. If you really will be able to lift groups of enemies helpless above the ground, then how will anything short of literally hundreds of enemies at once be a challenge?

3. How many Jedi are actually strong enough to send so many people and objects flying so fast all at once?

4. Stormtroopers are trained to be immune to fear, so they don't scream like girls when attacked by anything, no matter what they are.

5. I've had just about enough of that stupid "Stick saber in ground = shockwave" move in the Star Wars games.

6. Jedi do not repeatably attack helpless enemies, and certainly not ones who beg for mercy.

7. How many Jedi are strong enough to use force lightning to any serious level of effectiveness? Did you know that force lightning requires a very strong force user for it, not just anyone who owns a lightsaber?

8. How many Jedi actually did use force lightning anyway??

9. Worst of all is that this isn't even anything from the game.

It is a tech demo, not a game preview. That is an important difference, and basically answers all your questions below. But anyway...

My understanding is that it isn't really for you in the first place. It is for developers to give them an idea what kinds of things they will be able to do in the future, and so can start planning accordingly.

That being said, unlike you, most gamers like to see what is coming down the pipe and what they can expect to see.

2. If you really will be able to lift groups of enemies helpless above the ground, then how will anything short of literally hundreds of enemies at once be a challenge?
That's for the developers to decide. But once again, this is showing what can be done, not what will be done.

3. How many Jedi are actually strong enough to send so many people and objects flying so fast all at once?
Who knows? Doesn't matter really, since this just shows would sort of things future games could possibly do.

4. Stormtroopers are trained to be immune to fear, so they don't scream like girls when attacked by anything, no matter what they are.
IIRC they screamed like girls when attacked by those big, scary Ewoks...

5. I've had just about enough of that stupid "Stick saber in ground = shockwave" move in the Star Wars games.
OK.

6. Jedi do not repeatably attack helpless enemies, and certainly not ones who beg for mercy.
Who says it is a Jedi?

7. How many Jedi are strong enough to use force lightning to any serious level of effectiveness?
Who knows? Maybe he and she are not Jedi.

Who says they are Jedi?

Exactly! It's a tech demo. It is cool looking, though. :)

7. How many Jedi are strong enough to use force lightning to any serious level of effectiveness? Did you know that force lightning requires a very strong force user for it, not just anyone who owns a lightsaber?

Didn't you read the IGN article kookaburra provided the link for? And I even quoted the relevant part of IGN's interview in post #51 where Haden Blackman addresses the question of a Jedi using Force Lightning. Of course Blackman's statement on the subject probably won't satisfy you.

Blackman also indicated George Lucas signed off on this pre-visualization. But sounds like you won't be playing this game when it's released anyway.

Reasons:

do you have to shoot my hopes down so cruelly?

I think we all need to calm down a little, some people are a little angry by the fact this is a "useless" pre-vis video which means it is nothing more than a virtual ideas pool. Still i think it would help if we tried all tried to associate what we saw with Kotor such as...

The ragdoll that could be useful when the force storm and force push powers are used.

The tie being shot down would presumably damage nearby scenery. I can only imagine that with the onderon map in Kotor 2.

I'm kinda torn on this one.

Although the effects are awesome and very tantalizing, this definately isn't a KotOR game.

...which is just another reminder that KotOR is not being made yet and will definately follow whatever game(s) they are making now.

Well, whatever direction they choose to go with this new effect system, I'll more than likely acquire it anyway.

If they choose to use this for KotOR in the future that would be acceptable as long as they don't mess with the combat engine.

It's the far in the future thing I have a problem with. KotOR is nowhere on the horizon.

It's the far in the future thing I have a problem with. KotOR is nowhere on the horizon.

You don't know that. The only thing that you know is that you don't know anything.

No information has been released. To say if KOTOR3 is to be made it'll be whatever game they are developing with the above engine is a guess. We don't know who's going to be using that engine or what game it's for. It hasn't been said. We also don't know if KOTOR3 is being made irwho's going to make it if it is to be made.

What makes thing worse here is people taking rumors they started as fact in then using assumptions to create their own facts.

There has been absolutely no news on KOTOR3. 1 year or 20 years from now. No news.

And before someone says it, I have no problems with speculation but we've gone way beyond that here. Someone will make a speculation the next person will take it and run with then 3 or 4 posts later it's "KOTOR3 will be developed by EA in New Guinea using the Doom 1 engine."

^^

Ooh, ooh, I want to start a rumor. I think K3 will be a return to the simple 2-D basic line drawing thingies like I saw with Pac-man, Circus Atari, and Pong that I played on Atari 2600. It'll even have up to 10 colors for our viewing pleasure. Unfortunately, experience will be capped because the numbers don't go past 9,999. :)

Seriously, I liked the video. It has some cool effects, and I think it'll add a lot to any game that uses it. I wouldn't mind seeing it used for K3.

If they choose to use this for KotOR in the future that would be acceptable as long as they don't mess with the combat engine.
I'm of the belief that the combat system used in KotOR and TSL will not be utilized in the next KotOR, if there is one as we all hope there is. All one has to do is look at the current and upcoming crop of RPG's, e.g. Oblivion, Mass Effect, with their real-time combat systems to see that the one used in the first two KotOR installments has become a *sniffle* relic. :cry6: By the same token this development may allow use of DMM and Euphoria technologies in the next KotOR. Seems to me like RPG's are morphing into TPS/FPS/RP game hybrids.

Sorry' date=' [b']Hannibal[/b], but I have to agree with Cygnus Q'ol on this one. While it is quite true that we don't know anything about the next KotOR, including if there will even be a next KotOR, I think if one assesses the current situation it doesn't seem like there is much possibility of seeing KotOR 3 in 2006 or 2007.

1. Obsidian Entertainment - has a full development plate through the end of this year when they finish NWN 2. So if Obsidian started working on KotOR 3 at the beginning of 2007 and we allow two years for development then the soonest we could expect the next KotOR 3 would be end of 2008.
  2. LucasArts - is working on their Indy Jones and Star Wars 2007 titles. Considering LEC's lack of recent in-house development experience as well as complete lack of SW RPG development experience I am not inclined to believe LEC would be working on KotOR 3 along with the two games we know LEC is working on. Moreover, if one considers that LEC has released info on Star Wars 2007 (pre-vis demo referred to in this thread, game will involve Vader) over a year in advance of the game's release and yet has maintained complete silence about the next KotOR installment, then I think it's reasonable for one to assume that LEC has yet to take any substantial action towards development of KotOR 3.
  3. BioWare - has a full development plate and doesn't seem interested in developing IP's other than their own. So chances are BioWare isn't involved with KotOR 3.
  4. What other game development company is out there that could make the next KotOR? What is the likelihood that LEC would commission such a company to make KotOR 3?

Honestly, I'm not trying to be pessimistic but I just call 'em like I see 'em. Yeah, we don't know anything but some of us can and do read meaning into LEC's actions or lack thereof. :)

^^

Ooh, ooh, I want to start a rumor. I think K3 will be a return to the simple 2-D basic line drawing thingies like I saw with Pac-man, Circus Atari, and Pong that I played on Atari 2600. It'll even have up to 10 colors for our viewing pleasure. Unfortunately, experience will be capped because the numbers don't go past 9,999. :)

"This is BBC World. We are sorry to report that there has been an astounding rate of heart attack deaths this month. Star Wars fans everywhere have been reported dead over their computer keyboards. Autopsy reports confirm that they reacted in a negative way with some particular news about a video game called Knights of the Old Republic III. Let's see what that is."

*reads report*

"Oh my God!! What the F***? NOOOOOO!"

*anchor dies of heart attack*

:D

seriously, that's gonna happen if what you said comes true. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ya know, it may be pre-rendered, and it may not even be anything like the game it's based off of, but that still looks really, really cool. I play all kinds of games, hell, I'd even try an RPG/MMORPG if that's what it was like. If it's Kotor and there's the quasi-real-time battle system, cool, if it's Kotor and it's just a plain FPS style system, thats cool too. The important part of Kotor was the story and the character interaction. The in-game graphics were never astounding, and the battles were often repeditive and dull, but we still play it over and over again, because the story is fun, and if nothing else, we like to wail on things.

If it's not Kotor, and it's on the PC(or possibly one of the Gen4 consoles) I'll still probly get it, because it looks really, really awesome. Though I think we all would do well to not get upset over whatever we see, because aside from knowing that there are awesome graphics involved, we dont know jack as to what games this will be in and what kind of games those will be and how good those games will be.

It wouldn't be too hard to use the engine shown on a turn based RPG. All you would have to do is make each action shown a command. Then your character would execute the action shown. Done deal. They are showcasing the looks of the physics and graphics. Said physics would be awesome when say, a jedi force pushes troopers, and he also pushes any loose boxes in the room around, breaking panels and windows.

• 1 month later...

Archived