Home

How could YOU make this game any worse!

Seriously guys, how can this game be any worse than what it is right now?

The space skirmish has been utterly destroyed, Skilled people will no longer get any joy from this game. I played a few games tonight, gave Petro the benefit of the doubt Yet Again! and low and behold they have screwed it even more than 1.4 did.

Lets take a look....

Rebs own Tech 1,2,3,4 but not as easily,5

From the word go, Empire are screwed because of the x-wings speed and firepower. Need a mine?? Go get the one with turret next to it. Buy the turret first (you can afford it cos you got plenty of money at the beginning now) and the Empire lose cos they can't get near the mine quick enough to contest the turret being built.

Tech 2, well this is just silly. Han still owns Boba and the vettes and Nebs make the x-wings redundant. 1 Vette and 1 Neb will own 2 Acc's with average micro skills.

Tech 3, Reb win here for no other reason than the Empire just have nothing to put to use. Vader sucks in space cos he is so ridiculously slow.

Tech 4, Rebs just outshine Emp here but not by much and thats only cos the Empire's Broadsides still smack the ****e out of a reb station. Chances are though, you'll never get to broadsides.

Tech 5, Rebs are unstoppable, With MonCals coupled with a few vettes to keep the bombers at bay plus the very nicely powered Ion cannon to knock out either the station or ships.

Rebellion win, unless you are playing really stupid people (and we know there are some)

So, Petro congratulations on screwing a game twice in a row (1.4 and 1.5) How you could even think this was a balanced game is simply beyond me. There those diehards and fan boys who still play online, but assure you that the calibre of people playing has dropped immensely. This game is no longer worth a damn and there are sooooo many people who will agree with me.

My prediction for FoC (and please archive this so I can gloat when it comes true) The game will sell well cos it's star wars. The single player campaign will exposed to be below average and nothing new, the online skirmish will be just as dreadful as EaW is now. More bugs, more syncs, more imbalances (They can't balance this one, god knows how they will balance the new one - I can see it now, The SSD will be wiped out everytime by a pirate fighter......) more connection problems and the game will get worse over the next 5 patches. Good job.

I'm done with this game.

Guest DarthMaulUK

So what you're trying to say is, that you lost a game? Never heard of the Tartan cruiser? The last time I looked, they were still pretty good at riping through fighters and vettes.

Patches change the game and it brings with it a new learning curve sometimes. I'm having to try out new things in Dawn of War as their latest patch really has made incredible changes to rush tactics - and rightly so.

People want to be more involved in combat and fighter dog fights early on will help this. Why not give the Empire a go and just see how balanced things now are.

DMUK

Tartans get wiped out by nebs without a second thought, and the results of the dogfights are scripted, when enemy fighters engage they just dance for a bit until the fight is resolved, there is no skill whatsoever in deciding the outcome of a dogfight.

The games i played tonight, I was Empire for most but 1 game. I tend to choose the underdog race when i play games for a better challenge but this time round Empire are just whipping boys and nothing more.

Dude, not trying to flame or anything but the balancing is FINE. Here are some reasons as to why it's fine.

1. you just have to build more TIEs than they do X-wings, TIE fighters only cost 300 credits last I checked and X-wings like 500. TIEs may be weak but in greater numbers they can kill a station if you have enough.

2. Acclamators can own a nebulon B-Frigate if used well enough, heck maybe even two of them.

3. Tartans have an initial advantage over Corellian Corvettes because of the power to weapons ability vs power to engines.

So, there you go, hope this helps :)

im with ya apocalypse, this game has utterly been destroyed. ACC cant defend for them selves against nebs anymore, because for some reason the devs thought having ACC and VSD 2-3 squads of bomber is unbalance...thought wrong. Most skilled players are gone and only diehards and fan boys who cant defend for themselves are controlling the game. i say stop listen to ppl that want something changed with units! We clearly see that its ruining the game. I say start listening to ppl that want things done to MP itself thats not about units.

Dude, not trying to flame or anything but the balancing is FINE. Here are some reasons as to why it's fine.

Your entitled to your opinion, and Im certainly not going to take it as a flame. ;)

1. you just have to build more TIEs than they do X-wings, TIE fighters only cost 300 credits last I checked and X-wings like 500. TIEs may be weak but in greater numbers they can kill a station if you have enough.

Take alderaan's defense for a great example; If your reb, all you need to do is use the speed boost on the x-wings and head straight for the turrets where the 3 mines are, If done right, Rebs can have total map control in the 1st 2 minutes, why? Empire can't get to the mines quick enough and by the time they do, the turret is built or being built and then just decimates the fighters along with the xwings. So, 1 minute into the game Rebs have 7 mines while Emp have just 1. Don't you think thats just a little unfair?

2. Acclamators can own a nebulon B-Frigate if used well enough, heck maybe even two of them.

In a 1v1 situation your right, but few people are going to send in a lone Neb b to face an acc with it's bomber squad. Vette + Neb will always win over an Acc and tartan.

3. Tartans have an initial advantage over Corellian Corvettes because of the power to weapons ability vs power to engines.

Yes but your forgetting the change in the patch. If you start spamming tartans, I'll just start spamming Neb's which decimate Tartans horrifically.

They should never have messed with the units from 1.3 and instead should have concentrated on making the game that much enjoyable to play, sort out the lobby system and the much hated buddy system (Which might I add, has been screamed about since release and 5 patches later- nothing has been done)

Honestly, I want to meet the people Petro are listening to cos I have no idea why they have done what they have done.

Well, I never updated since the 1.2 patch (however I do consider the update message annoying). I also never play online, I hate gamespy and I will never use it. If there is a way to play online (not LAN or anything like that) without useing gamespy please tell me. Apat from that, I always fix the units myself so I probably can't play online even with the right patch. I also don't feel like doing all the modding all over again, not sure if I have to, but just in case. So my finetuned version is harldy broken, so there's no need for me to fix it.

And I probably wait a little while before getting FOC, read the forum posts about it to see how it turn out. I'm affraid it's going to seriously overpower the pirates and that the pirates will have the biggest baddest guns. And we all know that privilege belongs to the Empire. If anything, the pirates should be the weakest faction if you purely look at military strength.

I havent played the new patch yet, but I believe apoc may just be right, the Empire has no real speedy unit in tech one which leaves them at a huge disadvantage. Sure the TIEs are cheaper so you can spam make them but by then the X-Wings will have captured mines with turrents and all your TIEs become cannon fodder.

The balance is simple, REPLACE X-wings in Tech 1 with Z-95s. That way both Empire and Rebels go at the same speed and its more equalized. Then in tech 2 rebs can get x-wings back, but by then they are redudant.

If you make the change like I suggested, then it corrects a lot of the later game unbalances. Tech 1 now causes a domino affect as it screws up the rest of the levels because from the start the Rebels get the advantage. With my fix you get a running chance.

And isnt it just ridiculous? You would think the Empire would own throughout the first 4 levels, just because! I mean realistically the Rebels are rebels they arent supposed to be powerful enough to stand up to the Galactic Empire. But w/e :D I usually play land so I dont mind so much the change.

I did that too. I though it would balance the game nicely, and it did. Apart from that, I aam currently making some minor changes so I learn how to mod. Like turning the torpedoes blue (not quite perfect yet, but maybe somebody else has a better view), the missiles now look like the original torpedoes. Also torpedoes and missiles no longer penetrate the shields (but I am going to increase torpedo damage). At the same time I am trying to split up all the files, as well as recalculating shield and hull strenght to match those in XWA. Actually I try to make everything more like their counterparts in XWA. I'm not sure of whether I should release it or not, I only use the game's models (I suck at modelling), but I think I just might release it anyway.

Isn't there anywhere you can get the older patches? With an older patch it should solve the problems. But you still may have to modify the game quite a bit.

I don't think so. But if you play online more with patch 1.5 you get used to it.

Yes it's possible to find older patches, especially if you keep the set up files in your EaW folder (like I do).

I guess people all have their opinions, I enjoy this patch and I find it quite easy to destroy X-wings with my ties. Even playing against a good opponent I can usually wipe out their X-wings with my mass produced ties hehe. It works well you just have to think like the enemy and bring in ties wherever the X's are coming from.

But, once tech 2 arises, then it's another different strategy because if you don't have mines, you're in trouble for countering Vettes and Nebs. Otherwise, a couple Accs and Tartans will surely wipe out the Nebs and Vettes. You just have to know your gameplan before you get F'ed up real bad.

:-)

if they can go back to the 3rd patch with a few things from 4th patch,like bug fixes, and not putting in anything from the 5th patch. I mean nothing like tech 2 tarts,vettes or the reduced spawning of fighters and bombers for ACC and VSD, then the game can be very good once again.

I did that too. I though it would balance the game nicely, and it did. Apart from that, I aam currently making some minor changes so I learn how to mod. Like turning the torpedoes blue (not quite perfect yet, but maybe somebody else has a better view), the missiles now look like the original torpedoes. Also torpedoes and missiles no longer penetrate the shields (but I am going to increase torpedo damage). At the same time I am trying to split up all the files, as well as recalculating shield and hull strenght to match those in XWA. Actually I try to make everything more like their counterparts in XWA. I'm not sure of whether I should release it or not, I only use the game's models (I suck at modelling), but I think I just might release it anyway.

Jeez this patch is getting hammered. I havent installed it yet but the only saving grace for the Imperials, I thought, was the volume of TIEs your capital ships spawned. As for reducing the tartans power to weapons time, that is pretty crap. They already have half the number of weapons of a Corvette. How about fixing the reduction of shield power. I think that is pretty excessive.

As for your idea Jedi, I did exactly that over the past month. researched all the stats from the Xwing/Tie/XvT/XWA games and modded the game to match this. I used a cost formula to find a true cost and factored in the special abilities and squadrons carried. Im very happy with it becasue i find it is really balanced...and starfighters actually do something other than die. I didnt change torpedoes blue but I did make missiles hit shields. I increased torpedoes to 40. I am no programmer either and just recycled models to create the VSD II and ISD II and Light Mon Cal. Anyway this is getting off topic. If I find out how to post them I will chuck them on file front, including my list of changes and comparison stats from XWA. Might save you alot of work.

Just one last thing; why not get rid of turrets all together. Then it just becomes who has the better military muscle. Turrets can make a huge difference, especially as stated on a map like Alderaan. Imagine that map without turrets. Imps would have a bit more of a chance.

I now figured out I screwed up. Yes, the rebel starting units are Z-95s, but they can still build X-Wings with Starbase level 1 (eventhough the fighters file says they need starbase level 2) and they can't build the Z-95 at tech 1. Apart from that, none of my home made units work in skirmish, not even my modified corvette. The changes on all the other units are effective in skirmish. And the units DO work in GC. With default settings the rebels are delayed long enough though.

Oh, and I am almost finished with changing the stats of all the ships to match those of XWA. Still need some balancing and changing the firerates of the marauder, but I can't find the marauder anywhere in the Hardpoint files, and I also can't find the stats in the marauder file. Apart from that, I might be the first using an entirely new file system. At least I haven't seen any mods with seperated files yet.

DarthMaulUK mentioned Dawn of War and others are dreading the arrival of the FOC pirates. I can see them being exactly like what happened with the latest race in the DoW expansion....They owned everything. It attracts people to try the game and therefore buy it but after the intial onslaught the inevitable patches are released to reign them in. At least with computers you can do this; if as i suspect DarthMaulUK played the table top version of DoW he would probably agree that every time a book for a new race came out they were the latest and greatest. It encourages people to buy into it because they all want the advantage. I cant blame them but it doesnt make for balanced play.

I really disagree with 1.5 reducing Empires starting squadrons to 2. 2 Tie squadrons vs 2 Xwing squadrons is totally unfair...thats 600 value to 1000 value. At least with three it was close.

As for my mod Jedi, I didnt worry about tweaking the ships for balance; the balance is in the value. A Star Destroyer is awesome, but its also expensive and can't be everywhere at once.

If you think the game sucks so bad, then stop playing it. It's not like anyone's holding a gun to your head.

In my case, thats true. The only reason mines still installed is because i co-lead a mod for it >_<

I used to play multiplayer a bit, but with the release of 1.4 and 1.5, ive just decided its not worth being constantly slaughtered as Empire.

With balance im fed up. It doesnt take 5 patches to get balance right. With the fun element im disappointed. Corvs and tarts were fun in tier 1 . only having them at tier 2 is no fun since tarts become useless.

And why are people saying "new strategies" with 1.05. . The Tier 2 in EaW is exactly the same as tier 2 in 1.03 and 1.04. Only difference now is that Tier 1 is so ridiculously boring to play out, that people move up a tier.

Archived