Home

Potential developers for KotOR III

Char Ell

OK. So the initial list of possible KotOR III developers should be fairly straightforward. Ranked from most likely to least likely (IMO)

1) Obsidian Entertainment - They have the most recent experience with the KotOR franchise. Obsidian's CEO has publicly stated his company would gladly develop the next KotOR if LEC wants them to.

2) LucasArts Entertainment Company - Would it be possible for LEC to make KotOR in-house? We already know LEC has its own development staff working on the next Indy Jones game and another Star Wars title to be released in 2007. Will LEC decide to go it alone on development of KotOR III?

3) BioWare - Yeah, they made the original KotOR. However BioWare passed on the chance to make TSL and referred LEC to Obsidian Entertainment. BioWare seems to be concentrating on their own IP's and are no longer interested in working on games for licensed properties (other than their own of course :D).

Besides these three are there any other game developers out there that would do justice to KotOR 3 AND that you think might possibly, however slightly, make KotOR 3?

IMO, Bioware did a better job with K1 than Obsidian did with K2. Now consider how much of K2 was copied from K1 (force powers, feats, graphic models and textures, etc. etc.) and how much content was cut and I wonder just how much effort did Obsidian really put into K2. Based on that, if I had to to choose between one or the other, I'd choose Bioware.

But overall, I'll be happy if they make sure the game is complete and polished rather than pushing a half-assed game out the door in time for christmas sales.

But overall, I'll be happy if they make sure the game is complete and polished rather than pushing a half-assed game out the door in time for christmas sales.
That would be at the whim of the producer, not the developer. Why everyone blames Obsidian for all of K2's shortcomings is still beyond me. They simply do what LucasArts tells them to. If that's "push for an early release because we want profits" then that's what they do, because if they don't they break their contract. :nod:

The last thing a new developer wants is to purposely put out a poor product. It gives them a bad name. Obsidian isn't stupid, they were simply doing what LA told them to, which is a shame as it made certain people think it was Obsidian's fault. I'm fairly confident that NWN2 will prove that Obsidian is not only quite able to put out a good product, but that they are quite up to bar with BioWare. BioWare would not have handed them K2 if they were not.

IMO, Bioware did a better job with K1 than Obsidian did with K2. Now consider how much of K2 was copied from K1 (force powers, feats, graphic models and textures, etc. etc.) and how much content was cut and I wonder just how much effort did Obsidian really put into K2. Based on that, if I had to to choose between one or the other, I'd choose Bioware.

Developing a game isn't some simple task. Obsidian put a great deal of effort into their concept for KotOR II: it was their ambition and lack of experience with an unfamiliar game engine that generated the need for major cuts when LucasArts pulled the deadline back to December. Considering that the final product was still impressive, I'd go with Obsidian as developers for KotOR III any day. Not to say that Bioware wouldn't do a good job too. I just prefer the approach Obsidian took to interpreting the characters and storyline.

I don't particularly see that Bioware's KotOR and Obsidian's KotOR were significantly different. As far as I'm aware some of the devs at Obsidian used to work with/for Bioware. The major differences I see are from the need to "expand" on what KotOR already had (because we know how many people whine when there aren't new features ;) ).

I wouldn't compare Bioware's character development to Obsidian's since both the storyline and the characters from the two games were galaxies apart in terms of similarity. I'd not compare them at all, actually :p.

Developing a game isn't some simple task. Obsidian put a great deal of effort into their concept for KotOR II: it was their ambition and lack of experience with an unfamiliar game engine that generated the need for major cuts when LucasArts pulled the deadline back to December. Considering that the final product was still impressive, I'd go with Obsidian as developers for KotOR III any day. Not to say that Bioware wouldn't do a good job too. I just prefer the approach Obsidian too to interpreting the characters and storyline.

It had nothing to do with lack of experience, and unfamiliarity, they were forced to carry out major cuts because of the deadline, they were not given enough time.

Of course it did. They lacked experience with an unfamiliar game engine. Figuring out what kinds of things you can and can't do with an engine while trying to stay on tight schedule would be a hindrance.

*** reads thread through post #10 ****

:eyeraise: [align=center]:eyeraise:[/align][align=right]:eyeraise:[/align][align=center]:eyeraise:[/align]:eyeraise:[align=right]:eyeraise:[/align]

Besides these three are there any other game developers out there that would do justice to KotOR 3 AND that you think might possibly, however slightly, make KotOR 3?
So can anyone explain to me how any of the responses thus far in this thread address the question posed in post #1? Because really, I'm having a hard time finding any. :dozey:

I appreciate everyones' thoughts on the differences between BioWare's end product and Obsidian's end product, who was to blame for TSL's shortcoming, et al. but come on people! Haven't these topics been hashed, rehashed, debated, argued, and fought over enough on other threads? Please make your arguments on those subjects in those other threads instead of hijacking this one.

I by no means intended or wanted this thread to become what it has. I'm simply curious if some knowledgeable forum members might have some ideas on possible KotOR 3 developers besides the three obvious ones. I don't have a very broad exposure to video games so I want to know if there are other game developers out there that make good RPG's and would do justice to the KotOR franchise. Is that too much to ask?

Now, back on-topic please! :)

I just prefer the approach Obsidian took to interpreting the characters and storyline.

Amen. I prefer OE's way of telling the story much more than Bio's. -not having every little aspect spoonfed, black/white good/evil more shades of grey, something to figure out for yourself beyond an over rated entirely too obvious plot twist-

Not to say Bio are bad devs in any way, hell I'm saving for a 360 just for MassEffect, I just want to see where Avellone's wanting to take the story arc started in tSL.

OE would be my best bet, but LEC would be a possibility--that's sort of a natural route to go.

I know MS is not a favorite of a lot of folks, but they'd certainly have the resources to hire in people knowledgeable with the first 2 games.

Atari produced NWN with Bioware, and they'd have the resources, but I don't know if it's their cup of tea.

I'm not so sure about the company, but I think that whoever would do it should hire some of the _people_ who worked on the first 1 or 2 for continuity sake.

Given how Obsidian produced a far better story in far less time, I think it should definitely be them. Anyhow, Bioware has stated they are not interested in doing anything more with KotOR, and Obsidian will be soon be finished with NWN 2, so it's most likely LA will have them work on it.

Given how Obsidian produced a far better story in far less time, I think it should definitely be them.

Considering that Bioware created Kotor, and did a way better story, it really should be them.

Somehow I think I know where this is going...

Which story was "better" is subjective and thus irrelevant. Obsidian has proven they can create a quality product within a minute timeframe. Their willingness to create a third game, coupled with their recent experience and Bioware's full endorsement makes it basically a given that Obsidian will be creating KotOR III.

For all of you Bioware fanboys repeat after me.

Bioware will not do KotOR III because it is NOT their own Intellectual Proprerty.

How amany time does this have to be posted. :smash:

ok then i agree with you so i was wondering what if lionhead did k3 anyboby remeber the sucess that was fable?

Archived