Home

Forgetting the Rebels?

Guest DarthMaulUK

This is not a scientific education thread.

Out of all the points raised here, Rust Lord and Admiral Sith are the ones who are spot on. Tie Fighters are faster than X-Wings especially in space, X-Wings beat Tie Fighters in weapon/shield/hyperdrive stakes. So in a head to head the Tie was always at the disadvantage but not because of speed.

50-100 Isd's in the Battle for Endor? I somewhat doubt it but either way, the Rebellion fleet didn't know the Empire fleet was there, remember Ackbar 'It's a trap!' moving futher along that point, the reason the Mon Cal's lasted so long was they moved their cap ships right into the mix of it meaning Isd's were limited to targets as other Isd's would be in the way.

Well, I had the one scene in mind where the Rebel fleet turns and you see the SSD sorrounded by a mass of SDs - even if it were only 30, they still vastly outnumbered the Mon Calamari cruisers of the Rebel alliance - as did the incoming TIE fighters the alliance fighters.

Still, both fighters and capital ships at least partially survived the battle and dealt quite an amount of damage to the Imperial fleet.

If it were true than 1 TIE can take on an X-Wing and 1 SD can take on 2 Mon Cals (which means that 2-3 SDs could have taken the entire Rebel fleet), no tactic of this world would allow the Rebels to last longer than 20 seconds against 30+SDs and hundreds of TIEs (the last number isn't exactly shown in the movie, but the "fighters coming in" scene IMO suggests something like that)

Also, bringing down the SSD was sheer fluke as an A-Wing pilot lost control and hit the bridge square on. The shield Generators on the Isd's or SSD was notoriously easy to hit and was one of the biggest flaws in the Isd's design.

[ben's voice] That's no shield generator - it's a sensor dome [/ben's voice]

As someone said before, they got in so close that the ISDs could only bring a few weapons to bear out of fear of hitting another ISD. Plus, Capital ships are VERY resistant. Even against a ship that is far superior to it. And Mon Calamari Cruisers were renowned for there resistance to dying.

• 2 weeks later...
Wrong. The Rebs are indeed overpowered to the point that in a skilled v skilled game Rebs will win everytime. They are certainly not losing out.

I don't agree with you. I usually play as the Empire and I have no problems winning, even on hard mode.

Look, it doesn't matter which ship is more powerful or faster, tactics ALWAYS trump raw power. The victor is not decided by which faction is used but instead by who plays their respective faction better or knows how to use their factions' abilities better in a given situation.

It isn't that the x-wing are more powerful, it's that they are too quick and Empire have no counter for this. X-wings can grab all the strategic turrets way before Tie's can even get to them. Your being too specific in what should be what considering that if this game was vanila then Rebellion would have no chance whatsoever against the Empire's war machine. There have to be some concessions or a game like this would never work.

I partially agree with you here. You are right about X-wings being too fast but that's what tartans are for, power to weapons ability can wipe them out fast and there is no way the x-wings can escape unscathed. Besides weapons platforms are not the most important part of space skirmish, they are annoying at best. I just send in 2 or 3 tartans and within 10 seconds the weapons platform is destroyed.

The Rebels are certainly not having a tough time of it. They have the advantage in any game right off the bat and keep the advantage all the way through techs

Not true. The rebels have very few real advantage over the Imperials for a number of reasons...

- The Imperials have fighters that are for free and don't take up the Population cap, unlike the rebel fighters.

- In my opinion I think Star destroyers are better than Mon Cals because of the tie bombers that they get for free.

Imp + Tie Bombers > Mon Cal

- 2 or 3 tartans can defend a fleet or space station from any fighter attack, back them up with 3 - 4 Victory cruisers and the rebels will have no way of destroying the tartans unless they have Mon Cals, in which case that's what Tie bombers are for.

- On the ground the Imperials have Tie Maulers that can be devastating when used correctly.

- The at-st's barrage ability can destroy most enemy vehicles very fast and are the perfect counter to MPTL's because they can take a heavy beating.

- AT-AT's are still the best ground unit in the game.

- I think the rebels have better infantry than the Imperials but that's about it.

While these are just my opinions I think Patch 1.5 really helped to ballance the game and now playing as the Empire is more of a challenge.

The Empire had superior weapons, better ships, much better training, better pilots, fighters that had waay more speed and maneuverability, and an entire galaxys worth of resources to draw on. The largest ships the Rebellion had were Mon Calamari Star Cruisers, and even those required an advantage of at least 2 to 1 to win against and Imperial Star Destroyer. Plus, Mon Cal ships were much fewer and harder to obtain than ISDs.

If the game was made to be realistic then the Rebels would never win.

As wswordsmen put it - Gameplay > Realism

In space, playing as the empire can be a bit tricky. You cant just send your fleet due to the size and slowness of your larger ships. But you also cant sit back and watch your fighters get taken out. It's really a matter of judgement and knowing when to fully commit your force into the battle, or retreat if needed. The rebels are different, they can, and generally have to fully commit each time because fighters arent cheap and are their most deadly unit (if empire has no counter).

On ground, empire is better for sure. They get ATATs and all their units are fairly cheap and can be spammed. The only negative, is that there is no plex version of a stormtrooper which can make the rebels more dangerous. But infantry is easy to take out, so if u cant be bothered running them over then u probably deserve to loose anyway. Imperial artillery is also better, however they dont get those drones with the sensor pings so it balances out.

In space, playing as the empire can be a bit tricky. You cant just send your fleet due to the size and slowness of your larger ships. But you also cant sit back and watch your fighters get taken out. It's really a matter of judgement and knowing when to fully commit your force into the battle, or retreat if needed. The rebels are different, they can, and generally have to fully commit each time because fighters arent cheap and are their most deadly unit (if empire has no counter).

On ground, empire is better for sure. They get ATATs and all their units are fairly cheap and can be spammed. The only negative, is that there is no plex version of a stormtrooper which can make the rebels more dangerous. But infantry is easy to take out, so if u cant be bothered running them over then u probably deserve to loose anyway. Imperial artillery is also better, however they dont get those drones with the sensor pings so it balances out.

What game are you playing. The empire can commit whenever it wants because its fighters are free meaning you don't have to worry. The rebels have to worry about getting their expencive fighters wiped out in 6s by a tartan.

And the imperals only advantage on the ground is the AT-AT. The MPTL can knock out almost any other imperal unit in a few vollys, and are much more accurate than imperal artillary. Using 2 MPTLs Han and Chewie and a Missle Troop I have taken entire planets, which were heavily defended I might add.

Plus those senser pings=bombing runs w/o sending a unit.

you cant just send in your frigates and capitals straight away. You need to take out the bomber threat first otherwise ur just gunna get pwned badly. Plus imperial ships are massive and slow compared to the rebels, so once ur in there u cant just change tactical direction otherwise your firewpoer isnt as concentrated.

Regarding rebel artillery, yeah its pretty annoying. The only way to deal with it is suprisingly with mauler rushes.

Tartans can kill multiple bomber squadrons well within the time of it's power to weapons ability and provide ample protection for capital ships. Yes you need Tartans to screen your ships but who doesn't use Tartans, when used right they are the second best unit in the game, after the MPTL.

btw I find At-Sts work much better than maulers. Maulers are just to fragile.

yeah they do get destroyed pretty quickly :p but i like their speed, and their firepower is pretty good. Rebels probably do need some nerfing when it comes to gound battles.

And tartans are awesome aye, i had about 6 defending an ISD and took out an entire rebel fleet :p

Out of all the points raised here, Rust Lord and Admiral Sith are the ones who are spot on. Tie Fighters are faster than X-Wings especially in space, X-Wings beat Tie Fighters in weapon/shield/hyperdrive stakes. So in a head to head the Tie was always at the disadvantage but not because of speed.

I do not understand why so many people think that Tie Fighters are inherently faster then the X-Wing. Though it seems logical, in all the flight sims (X-Wing, Tie Fighter, X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, not sure about X-Wing Alliance), the Tie Fighter had equal max speed then the X-Wing. Its only advantage was maneuvrability. Indeed it was a small advantage, didn't make you feel less weak or helpless.

Interceptors, Avengers and Defenders were all much faster and even more maneuvrable.

Yeah, I'm late...

In the roleplaying game (West End Games) the X-wing had a space move of 8, while the TIEs had a space move of 10. If you look at the movies, A New Hope in particular, it becomes very clear that the TIEs are the faster fighters. After all, they catch up to and destroy the X-wings in the Death Star trench, and they would not be able to do that if they were slower, would they?

Archived