Home

Johnny Thunder Boys --- Which "Johnny Thunder" could this one be?

BrotherIchi

Hello everyone.

I'm new here and I'm one of those guys who's been trying to turn GF into their own languages, and maybe this time is Chinese. The great difference between literature surely makes the translation quite a challenge. I have to do some research about names, items, quotes.....And this time I encounter this "Johnny Thunder" word that I'm not sure WHO after some digging.

Could anybody tell me?

I found 4 "Johnny Thunder":

2 are American comic heroes: one is in JSA, with a thunderbolt demon, and the other is a wild west gunslinger.

http://www.answers.com/topic/jsastrangeadventures2-1-jpg

http://64.235.244.110/Johnny_Thunder_No1_Mar_1973_DC_Alex_Toth_cover.jpg

another 2 are music artists: one is a famous dead punk-rock star and the other plays blue and rhythm.

http://www.answers.com/topic/johnny-thunders

http://www.johnnythunder.com

It's a good question - at least for us, not americans.

In France they are called "Bones Apart" and work for "The Johnny Bones Review".

And that's the only thing that we know about the show. That it is in fact a Review, a Musical. Surely like one of those from Broadway.

One more note. It seems to be Johnny Thunder without an "s" at the end.

OH, Thanks, I missed that "s"

That's surely a good advice! Maybe I could also use some Chinese names to replace them!

I also wonder how the Spanish Version that Yohein mentioned handles such American-culture-related words, cuz that is really a good way to learn translation.

In fact, this "silverblue" Guy is SPROUTED last year! And I'm the very ASSASSIN disguised as a custom official. :D:D

Anyway, I have a solution now. I replace it with some Chinese Hot Shows during 2005~2006, that most Chinese people are familiar with. In English it is called "Super Vocal Girls" (of cause I made it into "Super Vocal Boys"). Thanks to Elbiolin's idea, really!

I also wonder how the Spanish Version that Yohein mentioned handles such American-culture-related words, cuz that is really a good way to learn translation.

They keep the Johnny Thunder. I don't know who he is either.

In certain games and TV series, they change this kind of name and they put someone famous and known here in Spain. Personally, I don't like that. That kind of joke makes me notice I'm playing a translated version, that someone is out of place there.

I kept some of these words, like Catch-22, Chiwawa, Robert Frost.... and I will make notes for them, out of the game.

But word like Thunder Boy or Tails Of Two Kittie seems too hard to explain, and if I explain too much, then some of our guys may not find it funny any more, so I have to replace them with local names :D

plus:

I still don't have an idea why them call "picking up people from Land Of Living" as "POISONING"? Is it because some of the Gazpacho is poisonous and kill them all? I have no good translation of this word but only a transliteration: "泊圣灵" (if you have a chinese font you can see it). It pronounces "Bo-Sheng-Ling" in Chinese, meaning "shipping then landing(Bo) good(Sheng) souls(Ling)", I wonder if this is what "POISONING" means.........

Gazpacho is a cold soup - and you know why you have to warm food to eat it - and that is what produced that massive poisoning. So "picking up …" doesn't equal "poisoning".

Some trivia from the Wiki site:

"Gazpacho (software), a GUI builder for the GTK+ toolkit written in Python" - I don't know nothing about programming but maybe they used something of this to make the game.

So.... could it suggest that mass people have eaten bad cold Gazpacho and die from.... or maybe there were just some big accidents caused by Gazpacho back in that year?

OH, I get the meaning!

The "picking up" is NOT ALWAYS called "poisoning", it's just an event of accident!

An accident of Gazpacho Poisoning happened in the land of living in the 1st year of the game! (I remember Eva ever said to Manny "the code three gazpacho poisoning")

Now I know how to translate it correctly. Thanks, Elbiolin!

Wait a second... So picking up people means that they are executing the death within them to make the food poisoning take effect? I only thought that they were picking up people's souls when their bodies already died, so the souls had to wait for their travel agent.

And besides, Chihuahua and Catch-22 are not exactly titles/names of something. Chihuahua is a mexican dog race, which you'll notice them as they're the smallest dogs in the dog list.

And Catch-22 is just a term of a situation; A problem with solutions that makes the problem itself worse. Just like you get bullied by some people in the school, and the possible solution is telling the teacher's and grown-ups about it. But still, you get blatantly more bullied by the same people since you got them justified. That's the kind of example that Catch-22 is. In Sweden, we call it "Moment 22".

Maybe this "mass poisoning" was not executed by anyone but just an accident in that year, and so many people had already died.

I remember at the begining of the game, memos sent from Don Copal said: "We have a mass poisoning on our hands", does it mean the agents of DOD always keep themselves updated to the Death News in the Land of Living, they are not only reapers but reapers in business, they can't just wait, they have to look for it, even have to steal.....

I found the book about Catch-22, but in Chinese I can't find any local term with the same meaning of it, I have to do some explanation.

Hmm, it makes me think about something:

If there is really a movie (you talked about days ago), then, could this "poisoning"(in land of living) be as an opening of it? It's kind of... well, can't think up a word to describe the feeling... just like when you see some normal events in our world, at the begining, and it suddently turns to a whole scene of the grim underworld.... Haha, never mind, out of topic.....

It could be, but the movie rumour was debunked as hoax a week or so ago so I'm afraid it won't be happening. :/

As for the poisoning, yeah, just like the name implies it's literally referring to a poisoning, as in "a bunch of people got poisoned and died". Chances are the DOD got notified of the deaths just like any other via the tube system (remember, Manny had to 'steal' Meche's notification), but because the amount of deaths was so great Don decided to just let the reapers take whoever they could find.

If I remember correctly, he says "first come, first serve" in the memo, which of course means "if you get there before everyone else, you get to reap that soul". :)

Here it is an explanation of the catch-22 taken from the wikipedia:

"In non-psychological circumstances, the phrase "catch-22" (based on the book of that title) has come into popular use to describe a less formal style of double bind, a cyclical conundrum, or "no-win situation". A Catch-22 situation, like a double bind, is also inherently self-defeating: the very act of trying to solve it prevents it from happening.

A double bind occurs when the following hold true (this is a less formal description, the technical description is given in source references). Because of the nature of his/her situation:

The person must (or cannot) do X.

The person must (or cannot) do Y, which conflicts with X.

Any commentary on the absurdity or untenability of the situation is strictly forbidden.

Thus the essence of a double-bind is two conflicting demands, neither of which can be ignored, which leave the victim torn both ways in such a way that whichever demand they try to meet, the other demand cannot be met. "I must do it but I can't do it" is a typical description of the double-bind experience. It demands that they solve what is (to them) an unsolvable unavoidable problem."

So what do you have to do is to find something related to a "must but I can't", "no-win" situation. That's the catch.

Archived