Home

An apology of sorts to Petro

Over the past week, my opinion has been fairly harsh about 1.5. So tonight I decided to go back into EaW and give it another chance.

I am still right about Rebs being overpowered but they aren't as overpowered as I thought. A few tweaks in strategy (which I had previously missed) is all you need to overcome it.

I have played several games as both Empire and Rebs and won them all with my team mate, CommanderSB. In this, I am wrong in my previous opinion that in a skilled game, Rebs are a cert to win.

There are still a few things that bug me, such as; Connection issues, broken units(interdictor), upgrades that don't work(mine 1st upgrade) no skill in deciding the outcome of dogfights, but this isn't the point of my thread.

And with that, I apologise to Petro and those who disagreed with me for the unfair level of harshness that came with my opinion in previous threads. If I'm wrong, I'll always hold my hands up and say so.

Don't worry Apoc, your opinion is still very appreciated. Just work with us in finding problems and I will make sure we do what we can to address issues that undoubtedly affect the game.

For example, we are looking into the alderan map situation, and will likely make various changes to address that and other imbalances that come up. I believe the thread for proposals in future updates is shaping up nicely and should be continued. It is helping us a lot in gathering the thoughts of the online community.

Again, we are committed in listening to everyones feedback and intend to continue our support of our products. I'll do my part and you guys do yours to help this process go as smoothly as possible ;)

cheers.

Critiques are important in helping designers to improve a product's functionality and success. Usually, they are done in-house where no one sees the bugs and glitches. Since EAW was an attempt to create a unique RTS game engine, I can understand why Petro is looking for fan feedback. Normally, the receiver of the critique should have thick skin. Any art student could tell you how they felt the first time their art was critiqued. However, they can also tell you that they have built up thick skin, and that all types of critisism helps them find perfection.

I wouldn't apologize for your critical perception of EAW. If the artists at Petro are truely artists, they will take your critisism as a way to improve their product. Outsiders, people who have never been in critiques, can see this type of critisism as a bad thing. However, the people who have been in critiques will accept your feedback with unbias.

I believe the designers at Petro will take everyone's critisism for what it is: A way to make a better product today and into the future.

-----------------------

Edit:: Add::

Personally, I would disregard the 'yes' men, and look closely at the people who will tell you it straight. If I had a company in game design, I would look at the people who are highly critical. You gain nothing from people who say, "Yeah. Your game is great." -or- "This game is awsome." I rather hear about the shortcomings, so I can improve my future products. There is a positive side to 'yes' men, but a company will never learn from them.

It wasn't so much as me being worried that I offended people, it was more of the fact that I was wrong. So I agree with what your saying but in this case, I didn't want the dev's to act on criticism that was badly flawed.

Since coming back to EaW, I have had a great time and even brought my clan back into the fray (some at any rate), In all games now, tier 1 is all about macro for 60 seconds while you do a fast tech while attempting to hold as much ground as possible, then micro as you try and get your units into the battle and intergrate them, hero micro is especially fun. It's actually possible to dominate some maps in less than 2 minutes using either Race (although a fair few maps favour the Rebels heavily), TFL have found out by more poking around.

Basically the whole point of me apologising was to show that I can admit when wrong and also show others that there is no harm in apologising when wrong instead of arguing when you have been proven wrong. If you get me.

Archived