Home

End of E3?

The Doctor

This article was posted on another forum I frequent. <link>

While no official announcement from the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) -- the foundation that organizes E3 -- has been made as of yet, the buzz around the videogame industry this weekend is that E3 is no more.

I don't know what to make of it. We'll learn more tommorow, apparently. Thoughts?

That's a bummer, I was always more interested in E3 for the lesser known titles that make their surprise appearence at the event. Maybe the TGS will welcome games out of Japan to join in their festivities?

Interesting. The official E3 website has a date set for E3 2007.

Thank you to all of our attendees, exhibitors, speakers, sponsors and industry associates for making E3 2006 a tremendous success.

Planning is already underway for E3 2007. Mark your calendars:

E3 2007

May 16-18, 2007

Los Angeles Convention Center

http://www.e3expo.com/default.aspx

But if it's true that the big-name game development companies aren't getting positive ROI from E3 then I guess it would stand to reason that they would stop participating in the E3 events altogether. Perhap E3 would morph into more of an indie developer event, akin to the Sundance Film Festival for the movie industry.

I just read this on another site myself. :/ Real bummer, I was impressed by how it was done this year with the content being released on the 360 as well as online throughout the event and looked forward to it happening again next year :/

I really didn't understand all of the hoopla in the first place. You already know what's comming out before this event anyways.

OK. so you get a little sneak-peek-teaser. So what. I don't need that.

Visually teasing me with things I can't have.

...kinda like going to the strip club.

The quote I used in post #3 is no longer present on the E3 website...

http://www.e3expo.com/default.aspx

OK. So sounds like E3 2007 will be significantly scaled down from this year's E3. I just wonder if game development companies are still going to use E3 as a time to make major announcements for new games. That was the only thing from E3 that I had a real interest in (besides the booth babes' pics :naughty: ). May was the time when game developers announced a lot of their new games. I will be interested to see if that pattern continues or not.

Too much hype, IMO...

I have to agree. I was watching the E3 special on G4TV, and there was only a handful of people. During E3's maiden voyage years, people would flock from everywhere. Now, there is only a handful of people who would make the trip.

Where I live, Boston's Bay Side Expo center has various types of conventions. When they have a computer convention, there is almost no out of towners there. I can only imagine the small crowds that E3 will bring.

I am sure they will revamp E3 into something else, and people will flock back to it. Technology conventions in general usually bring a good size crowd, but they are all locals.

Isn't E3 in California? What they really need to do is open a technology convention in the big cities. New York, Boston, etc... I don't think California is such a great place to hold a convention. I think they need to combined E3 with a computer technology convention, so there is a larger deversity of people. I allways thought that game systems belonged in a PC and Mac convention.

Archived