Home

Original Tie Fighter - Mission 11??

svguerin3

Question.. It took a long time, but I finally beat missions 1 through 10 on the original Tie Fighter. To my surprise, the credits begain to roll after the final sequence of mission 10.. Afterwards, there is no option to start mission 11; I'm under the impression that there are a total of 12 missions, according to FAQs on the web. Nowhere does it state that something special has to be completed before mission 11 is accessible, though.

Is there a patch that needs to be installed to get missions 11 and 12? Was my score not high enough to proceed? I find this hard to believe, since I never avoided a secondary goal, and I probably got 75% of all bonus goals available! Please advise, I'd like to finish out this game if possible.

Thanks!

-Vince

There are 13 total battles. Battles 11, 12, and 13 were part of an expansion pack that never got released as a stand-alone. If you are playing the Collector's CD-ROM version or the Windows 95 version, you should have those battles available, assuming you have completed all the other battles. Since you can transfer out of a Battle in progress, you may not have finished some of them. Check to make sure you actually completed every mission in every Battle. Secondary and Bonus objectives aren't required for this, so don't worry about that.

If you are playing the disk version, you don't have those Battles. If that's the case, I think you should be able find one of the CD-ROM versions I mentioned, and just copy your .plt file over and you should be able to pick up right where you left off with Battle 11.

Thanks for the quick, informative reply! I am playing the original disk version, so that must be why I cannot get to battles 11+. I am going to hunt down a copy of the Collector's Edition, and attempt the copy of my .plt file.

Thanks a ton, I'll let you know if it works or not!

-Vince

You're probably better served looking for a copy of the X-Wing Collector Series, which will run on modern Windows systems (albeit w/ a patch found on LucasFiles.com in order to run w/ 3D acceleration) and includes both X-Wing and TIE Fighter with all of the expansions (the TIE Fighter expansion, BTW, was titled "Defender of the Empire" and was available on floppy disk, despite what others have posted here). You may have to start all over b/c of pilot file compatibility problems, but at least you'll have a game w/ everything. :)

I was able to get a copy of the Collectors edition. I installed it and downloaded the patch. It runs beautifully, thanks for your help, guys! One question, though.. And it's probably a really dumb one..

How do I use the mouse for in-flight gaming? I cannot find a way to use it, and when I un-plug my gamepad, it won't even let me start the game.. I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I've tried many different things, but the mouse will not respond when I'm in a mission.

Thanks a ton,

-Vince

• 6 months later...
I don't think it supports the mouse. You must have a joystick or gamepad.

It doesn't natively support the mouse, but you can make it behave almost the same! I have written some PIE code which works with TIE95. This uses the PPJOY driver for joystick emulation, and will allow you to use your mouse for in-flight navigation in TIE Fighter. It also enables the arrow keys on the keyboard for fast turning.

Download PPJOY at

http://www.simtel.net/product.download.mirrors.php?id=75176

This requires some configuration. Follow the author's instructions to set up a virtual gamepad.

Next, download PIE (Programmable Input Emulator) from

http://geocities.com/carl_a_kenner/pie.html

Create a new script and paste in the following code:

//Code starts here

var.OldMouseX = MapRange(mouse.DirectInputX, 0,1023, -1,1)

var.OldMouseY = MapRange(mouse.DirectInputY, 0,767, -1,1)

wait 10 ms

ppjoy.Analog0 = 8*(MapRange(mouse.DirectInputX, 0,1023, -1,1) - var.OldMouseX)

ppjoy.Analog1 = 5*(MapRange(mouse.DirectInputY, 0,767, -1,1) - var.OldMouseY)

//Allow keyboard arrows to override the mouse

if key.Down then

ppjoy.Analog1 = 1

end if

if key.Up then

ppjoy.Analog1 = -1

end if

if key.Left then

ppjoy.Analog0 = -1

end if

if key.Right then

ppjoy.Analog0 = 1