Home

The new age of Darth Nihilus, Alive Again

ViperSkeele

Man, I wanted so much more on the story of Darth Nihilus, what an awesome character to waste on an expendable Dark Lord, who wasn't nearly as tough....yet.... as he was cool. Is he part man, part machine, all machine? Is his face there under the mask or is he an abomination. Do you want more Darth Nihilus like I do? Imagine the possibilities of assisting him or being him in a future KOTOR game. It's perfect, he could be any of a plethora of human or alien life forms under that mask, somehow saved and spit back out by the force, powerless, empty and helpless, but alive again, with all his memories and experiences to draw on as Dark Lord, Sith Student, or maybe horribly misshapen child, teased and abused by the other young members of his race, his anger and bitterness having driven him into the darkness, his rage driving him to rise to dark lord where he waged vengeful war on the innocent, wrought havoc on the peaceful. but now broken, powerless, lost and only half alive, starting over. Where does he go now? What indelible marks have his past life, and his near death left on him. Why was he rejected by death? Did he have a flicker of light? did he leave his destiny unfulfilled?

Think on it, if you like the idea, say so, I'd really like to see it take hold, I can't imagine a more interesting character for future KOTOR storylines. Did he meet Revan? was it he who twisted the minds of Revan and Malak? Is he somehow connected to Revan and could that be why death never closed its jaws around him?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was the point of his post, to actually place some 'character' behind Nihilus, some backstory. Besides that the franchise could use a reoccuring villan instead of having some completely new incarnation of the Sith and Jedi every game. I had an idea that I posted on Obsidian's forums about Nihilus, I'll repost it here.

Anyhow on another note I'd be interested in seeing Nihilus as a story villan (Not the primary one). Nihilus' death leads one to wonder if Nihilus truly died. I'd speculate that being another 'wound in the force' he may be capable of 'cheating death' so to speak.

In EU, Palpatine actually survived his fall down the shaft, and became some sort of 'force ghost'. Unlike a typical force ghost, he took control of several bodies. (If anyone watches Stargate I guess you can relate it to how Anubis changes bodies in the eight season).

If it went this way, I happen to think Nihilus would carry dark, dark knowledge of ancient Sith techniques, making him a bigger threat than before. Without his previous body, he might not be so dependant on feeding upon the force as he needed to do in order to survive (Of course he'd still be capable of doing so). It would make for an interesting villan to throw into the fray of things without actually creating a whole brand new incarnation of the current Sith regime.

I don't think so. Nihilus' story served its purpose and was wrapped up in KotOR II. I'd much rather see interesting new characters than have an old one with almost no personality be resurrected.

OK, but the reason he had almost no personality is because he had almost no character developement by the writers. They created a great look, a great sound, and tried to give the appearance of his being a badass, but his role was a couple of flashing cutscenes, and he fought like a little girl. I guess I was just disappointed, he could have been the Darth Maul of the KOTOR world. I didn't think they developed his character at all, I don't remember more than two sentances about him, it's like say Darth Vader came into a New Hope, said one line and then was slain, you would be able to say he was lacking personality too, but George Lucas gave him a decent backstory, and now he becomes the ultimate dark lord with just a sliver of light. You have to have an imagination, and Nihilus' character is a blank slate, a handful of soft clay that hardened into a formless lump. Oh well I don't expect to win over EVERYone, but think up a little back story of your own for him, and he'll become more interesting. I guess I just wanted to fight a REAL darklord, not Shirley Temple in a Vader suit.

OK, but the reason he had almost no personality is because he had almost no character developement by the writers.

Irrelevant. He had no personality, and to suddenly give him a new one in KotOR III would be inconsistent.

But that'll never happen. He's dead, and is gone for good.

That was the point of his post, to actually place some 'character' behind Nihilus, some backstory. Besides that the franchise could use a reoccuring villan instead of having some completely new incarnation of the Sith and Jedi every game. I had an idea that I posted on Obsidian's forums about Nihilus, I'll repost it here.

Exactly, Great minds think alike :o)

Irrevelvant
I'm looking that one up, but you were obviously interested enough to read my idea, and I respect your opinion, Thanks for showing interest, the more replies the better ;O)

Irrevelvant. He had no personality, and to suddenly give him a new one in KotOR III would be inconsistent.

But that'll never happen. He's dead, and is gone for good.

How is that inconsistent when Nihilus had no character in the first place. A good writer can easily make up something explaining Nihilus' change (Of course I don't think Nihilus would be the same shadow figure from TSL) in a believable fashion.

How is that inconsistent when Nihilus had no character in the first place. A good writer can easily make up something explaining Nihilus' change (Of course I don't think Nihilus would be the same shadow figure from TSL) in a believable fashion.

in·con·sis·tent ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nkn-sstnt)

adj.

a. Displaying or marked by a lack of consistency, especially:

b. Not regular or predictable; erratic: inconsistent behavior.

c. Lacking in correct logical relation; contradictory: inconsistent statements.

Not in agreement or harmony; incompatible: an intersection inconsistent with the road map.

Someone who had no personality and then suddenly gains one fits into that description.

I'm looking that one up

As it was just a typo of 'irrelevant' there is no need to.

Darn, i wanted to start saying irrevelvant. How about if Nihilus is the embodiment of the restless floating souls of the dead sith, a creature of inconsistency and multiplicity, capable of repeated deaths and revivals due to his connection and support by sith ghosts fighting for a short time of control over his physical appearance. Maybe there is nothing behind the mask, emptiness, just as Obiwan vanished in his final confrontation with Lord Vader, he (Nihilus) could exist somewhere between life and death, both, and neither, present and nonexistent, inconsistent in all that he is, or isn't, wasn't or will be, alive in his death, dead in his life, and I just happened to fight him in between shifts while the sith ghosts were fighting for a few moments of control. Let's face it, he was a sith lord, and yet a three year old with a toy lightsaber could have whipped him, he's already inconsistent, we just need to know why................see?

in·con·sis·tent ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nkn-sstnt)

adj.

a. Displaying or marked by a lack of consistency, especially:

b. Not regular or predictable; erratic: inconsistent behavior.

c. Lacking in correct logical relation; contradictory: inconsistent statements.

Not in agreement or harmony; incompatible: an intersection inconsistent with the road map.

Someone who had no personality and then suddenly gains one fits into that description.

You're still missing the point, he had no personality to say he had any consistency in the first place. It's not like he was suddenly some wise-cracking thug and instantly was to instantly become some malevolent Sith Lord.

If you read the descriptions of Nihilus, his hunger consumed him, it controlled him so it makes sense why Nihilus really shows a lack of character. If it was the other way around and he could control that hunger, was capable of speaking normally, then it would obviously warrant him some form of personality.

nihilus was the worst villain ever. He had absolutely no character or point. He was just some "evil dude" there for the sake of having some evil force to fight. The entire threat in KOTOR 2 felt unjustified and lame. I've expressed my disdain for the substandard structure of KOTOR 2's story before, and nihilus is a shining example of how thin kotor 2's story is. He conveniently exists to provide an antagonist who is causing a conflict the PC must fight. He's about as hollow as his mask, and to have him return would just remind me of how dissapointed I was by kotor 2.

he did look cool tho, I will give him that.

^^^^

I don't think I could disagree more.

Of course Nihilus has no personality, but that's precisely why he is mysterious and scary - there could be anything under that mask, and you just don't have a clue.

And he is a hollow, so of course he shows no personality. After all, "nihil" means "nothing" in latin, so it's scarcely surprising. Or as Kreia puts it:

Kreia: "He... if he can truly be called a man any longer... is one of the dark lords that pursues you. I do not think he knows what you are, not yet. He spared the Miraluka, and that may have been the last shred of feeling that exists within him."

But his powers are undeniable, and I continue to speculate that his ties to the Exile means that we may well see Nihilus in some form in KotOR3. After all, he didn't exactly die, did he? He just dissolved in some mysterious red haze...

I really hope he don't return, he was a cool characther, a big threat to the galaxy and the only thing that could stop him was the Exile. It would be lame if the new characther you play as is a hole in the force, and even worse if the Exile confronted Nihlius again.

You're still missing the point, he no personality to say he had any consistency in the first place.

Please try and use proper English. It's difficult to understand you.

If you read the descriptions of Nihilus, his hunger consumed him, it controlled him so it makes sense why Nihilus really shows a lack of character.

That is irrelevant. My point was that he had no personality in the first place, and then to suddenly give him one would be inconsistent.

I really hope he don't return, he was a cool characther, a big threat to the galaxy and the only thing that could stop him was the Exile. It would be lame if the new characther you play as is a hole in the force, and even worse if the Exile confronted Nihlius again.

Nothing so lame, no. Suffice it to say, I had this nagging feeling that there were clues to Nihilus' origin all over KotOR2, and then more I explored the clues in the game, the more convinced I became, since none or very few of them seemed to undermine it.

But I guess we'll just have to wait and see, assuming they ever make KotOR3.

My point was that he had no personality in the first place, and then to suddenly give him one would be inconsistent.

As Nihilus, yes, I agree. No personality. The question is who Nihilus will be once that mask comes off. Isn't it odd that KotOR2 never told us that?

"mysteriousness" is just a literary excuse for laziness on the writer's part. The writer couldn't be stuffed coming up with a badguy with any real depth or justified reasoning so they just write a generic badguy in a cape and make him "mysterious" so they don't have to explain anything about him or why he does what he does. It's cheesy, and I'd expect it from a power rangers villain, but not from the sequel of such a well written game as kotor 1.

Nihilus has a cool appearance, but he got wasted in Kotor II. Because the writers did not give him any personality, which makes him HAVE no personality, no satisfying background story but ridiculously powerful and lame abilities. Destroying entire worlds at will? C'mon, we don't need those uber super powers in Kotor.

Really, the only cool thing about Nihilus are his clothes, that's it. And now he not only is defeated but also blown up into particles. No way of him having survived that. He is gone, and I hope he stays gone.

I would rather not have Nihilus come back again. He was a cool character, all he needed was a little more development. (And to not be such a sissy.) But, I still dont think he should come back. I want a new villian in Kotor 3.

I liked Nihilus, but it would have been better if he had had more of a storyline. What I would really like to see is to have him "improved" in the TSL restoration project, but I doubt that will happen. Anyway, I would rather have his story (and stats) improved in TSL than have him suddenly return in Kotor 3.

Whoa.

Anyway I didnt like Nihilus. He was so boring, and that why he communicated with Visas was just freaky. I agree If they did add some personality and backround it would be WAY better.

And also I thought it kinda sucked because all Nihilus and Sion were was two guys with two much power who enlisted slaves and whatever, where as Malak was actually the leader of The Sith. And he was way more of a challenge.

But in KOTOR2 there are all these random factions, and I know the Sith probably

broke up or whatever but still.

Archived