Home

Ubisoft commits 7 launch titles for Wii

Lynk Former

We all knew about Red Steel and Rayman Raving Rabbids. But Ubisoft have 5 more launch titles for Wii. And they are...

Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII

FarCry

GT Pro Series

Monster 4x4: World Circuit

Open Season

Wii fans, Ubisoft is your new best friend. The publisher has supported Nintendo's Wii console since it was first revealed, eagerly readying such anticipated exclusives as the first-person shooter Red Steel and the action-platformer Rayman Raving Rabbids, both of which are set to debut with the system in a matter of months. But guess what? The French videogame giant is hardly stopping there. It has another five - yes, five games planned for Wii, and they'll all arrive in time for the platform's launch window.

Ubisoft today announced that it is in development with versions of Far Cry, Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII, Monster 4x4 World Circuit and Open Season for Wii. In addition, the studio is bringing an all-new racer called GT Pro Series to the system.

The publisher also said that it has "many more titles in development" for Wii.

"We're thrilled that Ubisoft will be unveiling Wii versions of both exclusive new IP and established franchises," said Reggie Fils-Aime, president and chief operating officer for Nintendo of America. "Bursting with creativity, innovation and unadulterated fun, these Ubisoft games embody the qualities that will make Wii a huge hit with gamers new and established, young and old."

"Media and analysts agree that Ubisoft has the greatest potential for reward with the new console's launch because we believed in its potential from the beginning," said Laurent Detoc, president of Ubisoft North America. "With an impressive lineup of launch games that offer something for everyone, we are in a unique position to benefit from the Wii's success in appealing to both new and hardcore gamers."

The popular first-person shooter Far Cry pits players on a mission through lush Amazonian jungles and equips them with a variety of weapons, vehicles and special powers to attack the enemy. The game will make full use of the Wii-mote for enhanced maneuverability and will likewise boast new content.

Blazing Angels utilizes the Wii controller for intense dog fighting scenarios set to the backdrop of WWII.

The racer GT Pro Series is developed by MTO and optimized by Ubisoft for Wii. Through a deal with MTO, Ubisoft is able to distribute the project everywhere in the world except Japan. GT features more than 80 licensed cars, detailed tuning options, fluid drift-style controls and physics, and more. The title has been specifically tailored to make full use of the Wii's revolutionary remote.

Open Season is an adventure game based on the Sony Pictures Animation's CG animated film of the same name.

Monster 4x4 World Circuit is a truck racer that has been completely revamped to make full use of the Wii control system. The title takes players fully off-road for some muddy displays of mechanical power.

Finally, previously announced big guns Red Steel and Rayman Raving Rabbids round out the selection.

IGN interviewed Ubisoft North America's president, Laurent Detoc, about today's news. We highly suggest readers comb the interview for brand new information on Far Cry, Blazing Angels, GT Pro Series, and Monster 4x4: World Circuit for Nintendo's new console. Readers may be surprised to learn that these are much more than mere ports.

In addition, IGN has posted new screens of Red Steel and Rayman Raving Rabbids, as well as first screens of Monster 4x4: World Circuit in our their related media sections.

With seven official launch window titles from Ubisoft, the ever-expanding library of holiday Wii games is nearing 30 titles, and there are still more to come.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/723/723080p1.html

Also see: Interview: Ubisoft on Wii Launch Games

That's great news !

The downfall of Gamecube was the lack of third party developpers, but between the 7 games Ubisoft just announced and the 5 games EA announced a while back and all the other third party developpers supporting Wii, it's future is looking pretty bright.

But the lockpicking would be fun.... :)

Maybe a thief type game would be better though: Backstabs, sword combat, bow and arrow, lockpicking. :D

I can't help but feel that lucasarts is going to bring out some really lightweight saber only game that sucks.. rather than bothering to create a decent game that happens to have great saber combat...

Couple of interesting points about the Wii:

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=74748

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=74911

Prince of Persia is also coming to Wii, as are a lot of other Ubisoft titles. The titles listed in my original post were LAUNCH titles... not all the game Ubisoft has committed to Wii... but Ubisoft have said that they're gonna support the console heavily... so don't count Splinter Cell out just cause it's not comin at launch :p

PoP on Wii... hmmm.. could be... interesting.

Is it a remake? Or is there another PoP game in the works?

I know the Wii's graphics are a bit behind the others... but they don't want to get known as a console solely of remakes. Surely you can just play the gamecube version anyway?

I think that article is correct, a lot of publishers (including lucasarts) were caught with their pants down by the popularity of the Wii at E3. Now they are all scrambling to come up with Wii games that they hadn't planned to make.

I just hope that doesn't mean the Wii gets a load of bodged together demos rather than fully finished games...

• 1 month later...

This seems like the best example so far of what a Wii will actually play like... a 24 min video from a games convention that shows them playing Battalion Wars 2, Mario Football, Red Steel, etc.. and gives you a good idea of the pros and cons of the controller.

http://uk.media.games.ign.com/articles/693/693580/vid_1657122.html

Though it keeps getting to about 15 minutes in an killing my copy of firefox so i haven't seen the end. Not sure if its my PC though.. its been a bit unstable recently (stupid xp! :( ). Maybe i'll try it on the laptop tomorrow and see if i can actually watch the whole thing.

This seems like the best example so far of what a Wii will actually play like... a 24 min video from a games convention that shows them playing Battalion Wars 2, Mario Football, Red Steel, etc.. and gives you a good idea of the pros and cons of the controller.

The graphics look mediocre, but it looks fun as hell.

Though it keeps getting to about 15 minutes in an killing my copy of firefox so i haven't seen the end. Not sure if its my PC though.. its been a bit unstable recently (stupid xp! :( ). Maybe i'll try it on the laptop tomorrow and see if i can actually watch the whole thing.

Works fine for me. Might be something on your end.

TiE23 predicts the future (based on little proof)

Rayman Raving Rabbids When has Rayman been fun?

Red Steel Editors playing at e3 '06 said it was just a cheap gimmick game with rail shooting and light-gun action

Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII This didn't get very many great reviews on other systems.

FarCry Dunno, I doubt the graphics will be any more than "Eye gouge" level.

GT Pro Series Could do good, not enough info.

Monster 4x4: World Circuit Anything with monster trucks needs to be taken with a massive dose of Redneck.

Open Season I smell 6's for this children's movie-to-game title.

go to wii.ign.com and just dl the videos if ur having trouble.

Their IGN weekly has all the clips together: here

Yeh i have to say the graphics did look mediocre. Maybe cos i didn't watch the hd version but yeh red steel and battalion wars looked like gamecube graphics to me. Compare red steel to perfect dark zero on a non-hd tv and i still think pd is way better (graphics wise).

Maybe ive just been spoilt with my current comp, which plays most games at max settings. But the wii graphics (even though i dont have a hd tv) will still seem like a let down to me.

Still the controller still looks uber-kewl and ill be buying my wii with twilight princess anyway. Just a matter of what else proves to be a worthwhile buy. I heard that the tennis in Wii sports doesnt involve any actual movement of the player just swinging.. which is lame. Seriously as kewl as that game looks it feel more like a demo of what the Wii is capable of , i could find myself getting bored of that game within a week.

Have to wait and see for whats proven to be long-lasting games.

TiE23 predicts the future (based on little proof)

TiE is missing facts... very important facts.

Rayman Raving Rabbids When has Rayman been fun?

Ever played Rayman 2? One of the best games for the N64/PS1 generation. Excellent game, the people who worked on that game are working on Raving Rabbids.

Red Steel Editors playing at e3 '06 said it was just a cheap gimmick game with rail shooting and light-gun action

Cheap gimmick? Who said that, the editors of the PS3 section of IGN? No, the general opinion is that Red Steel lacks refinement but shows promise. Additionally, Ubisoft has acknowledged the opinions expressed at E3 and have changed the controls as well as making the sword play 1:1 instead of pre-programmed moves. Ubisoft have also expressed their concern at people thinking that the way Red Steel looks now is what the final version will look like. It won't, the build shown at E3 and LGC are not anywhere near the final build. E3 was used as a testing ground, Ubisoft have assured us all that improvements have been implemented and the game is being refined. Understand that they only started making the game after TGS 2005. They've made this game pretty quickly and it's still awhile before Wii launches so as I type this they are finishing off putting the icing on the cake.

Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII This didn't get very many great reviews on other systems.

No it didn't, but I'm sure Ubisoft hopes that the Wiimote will make the difference.

FarCry Dunno, I doubt the graphics will be any more than "Eye gouge" level.

I'm confused... did Resident Evil 4 make you gouge your eyes out?...

GT Pro Series Could do good, not enough info.

No arguement there.

Monster 4x4: World Circuit Anything with monster trucks needs to be taken with a massive dose of Redneck.

Yee-haw.

Open Season I smell 6's for this children's movie-to-game title.

Yeah, what can ya do. I don't like movie-to-game titles either XD lol

@ abespam: Wii Sports is said to have a large collection of multiplayer sports games... I think in the end, the group that its targetting will be satisfied with what they get. It won't feel like one game, rather a collection of games... which to an average person seems pretty great. Granted, to any regular gamer who likes to frag a few guys in an FPS, etc, won't think so, but hey *shrugs* it's not all about one or two groups. It's like Brain Training and Nintendogs... I don't really like playing either, but a tonne of other people do.

Wii games

Ign's list of wii games to come at launch. Dont know what happened to project hammer, super mario galaxy and that day of crisis game.

@lynkformer: granted about the wiisports. But im more inclined to wait for a mario tennis/top spin game to come out or a similar one for other sports rather than a warioware/mario party minigame equivalent. Of course thats just personal preference.

A lot of ppl would be looking for a really good (N exclusive) multi-game and wiisports seem to be the best at the moment. I know nearly all the launch games have multi but i'm expecting something of the quality that mario kart 64 or golden eye in terms of lastability. Once again we'll have to wait and see to find which ones are as good as ppl want them to be.

And monster trucks ... meh

Project HAMMER, Super Mario Galaxy and Day of Crisis are not launch title or launch window games. There is little information about Project HAMMER, Super Mario Galaxy has been confirmed as a 1st quarter 2007 game along with Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Day of Crisis has no release date and no real information about it other than a blurb on Nintendo.com...

There will be Mario (insert sport name here) games of course, I can't wait for Mario Strikers Charged actually, I loved how that looked at LGC, lotsa multiplayer mayhem to be had :D

Once Wii's lifespan gets under way we'll see what will happen with it... it does take a little while before any of the REALLY great games hit various consoles in their lifespan, but right now it's looking to be a pretty solid launch line up as well.

Also there is also some doubt as to whether Metroid Prime 3 Corruption is going to be a launch title or not... rumour says it may be delayed... personally, I hope not.

@abespam: thanks for finding the download link. Hopefully now i should be able to watch it to the end.

--

From what i did watch it seemed to be by far the best example yet of how Wii games will actually control.. due to the fact you got to see both the ingame action and how the guy used the controller.. plus hear his comments so you could tell when it was working well, and when it was frustrating him.

I thought Battalion wars and Mario Smash Football looked really fun.. enough to make me want to check out the GCN versions if i can find them. The graphics weren't mindblowing, but looked fine to me. The controls, on the whole, seemed to work well for them.

(maybe a little bt twitchy when selecting onscreen icons in BW and a bit hard to do a 180 turn).

I thought Red Steel looked good. Admittedly I don't have a 360, or an uber PC (doom3 and farcry being about as advanced as i've gotten) but i thought the character models for the samurai looked good and the environments seemed nicely destructable.

It wasn't HDR i don't think.. which could make it look a bit oldfashioned now most PC games are. Nintendo really needs to make sure they have enough shaders to implememt all the whizzy effects that are so trendy these days.

I thought he control for the swordfighting looked excellent. The control for the shooting looked a little twitchy.. but the main worry i had wa that turning your viewpoint looked a bit jerky. (Almost no turn until the cursor gets to the edge of the screen and then quick turn. I'd have liked it to be a bit more smooth and cushioned, so your cursor would rarely get to the edge of the screen).

I guess now i'd better wait for the download and see what else there is to see....

O_O

I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait to buy my wii :D

As Fran said in that IGN vid, the majority of problems being caused by the demo machines is the fact that everyone has been standing extremely close to the TV... at least according to him. The suggestion was that these games would have a calibration feature to detect where you were standing or sitting in association with the sensor bar and automatically adjust the settings...

atleast Farcry is coming out for the Wii. all the other games suck ass. to win this console war, they need Splinter Cell, Call of Duty 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, FIFA, NHL, Madden, and lots more action games. will never happen though.

Splinter Cell - Not sure

Call of Duty 3 - On Wii

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Probably not, but who knows

FIFA - Not sure, put probably

NHL - See above

Madden - On wii

more action games - define action games.

Archived