Home

New SWG MMORPG

lightexile

meh... I'd buy a new game if it was a good game. The initial purchase is nothing compared to the monthly fee. <Omitted rant about SOE> I would like a Star Wars d20 based MMO, but after seeing how badly the D&D MMO got mangled, I doubt I'll ever see that happen. Best I could hope for would be a NWN style Star Wars game.

Still, I'll likely try any future Star Wars MMOs... I'm kind of a sucker that way.

• 2 weeks later...

That is what frosts my thrusters, paying $15/month for a game that is just lackluster at best!! I was really looking forward to SWG, but was unable to purchase it until after the CU. :(

I would probably purchase a new Star Wars MMO if it was worth buying - at the time I bought SWG I had no idea that the entire game had been revamped! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
I'd only pay for a swg game if it was good, and either cut the monthly price to $5 but kept the game price the same, or if they abolished the game price, and cut the monthly fee to like $10.

Don't expect either to ever happen, looks like you won't be getting any MMO's anytime soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

SWG has plenty of potential with expansions, updates, etc. I never actually played (what Christos K calls) SWG Emu. I'm completely new to all of this so I luckily don't have to completely start over with getting used to the new system.

• 5 months later...

I think there should definitely be a new SW MMORPG.

The way the game used to function was fine, but they had to mess with it, and now it's unrealistic and quite boring.

The Jedi profession should never have been made one you just choose. It should be random.

Also, making it easier to travel from planet to planet with your own ship damaged the economy, as previously people were often forced to travel to to Coronet to get to other planets. This provided a hub for people to buy and sell, since there was always a lot of people there. It might have been annoying to wait for shuttles, but the game functioned well.

I should probably stop ranting, but I just miss the days of being a Teras Kasi master, and one of the rare Master Rangers.

/shrug

I truly hope the devs learn from their mistakes, listen to the users, and make an excelent game.

Guest DarthMaulUK

The problem with MMOs generally is that they are a breeding ground for those in the games industry who are just NOT creative.

For those of you who have experienced the dull World of Warcraft will know what I am talking about. These so called 'Quests' where you need to run to point A, kill mob, run back to NPC to run back again to kill even more mob is THE single biggest reason why MMO games lose players so quickly. Its a pure grind fest.

Many have adopted the way Blizzard have done things because of the games success. When Galaxies first launched, it suffered from the same problems. The skill tree system was excellent but the quests were nothing to do with Star Wars and that, in a nut shell killed the game off.

With so much content, the Galaxies development team just were not creative enough and how they allowed bugs to remain (like the buffs) added to the problem. 34 Professions was too much and as we saw, a pain to balance. Galaxies needs to have real star wars content for those who wish to purse that avenue - and for those who WANT to be the 'Uncle Owens' of this world, should be allowed to do so. After all, that is what makes Star Wars!

The games industry itself is on a mission to 'dumb down' games to make them more accessible but they are forgetting their hardcore market, who WILL invest time and money into a complex and rewarding game.

I couldn't agree more, DM. Quests were severely lacking at launch, and I think even now they still lack in creativity. But at least there was the opportunity to be unique in a thriving world, when the possible combinations of skills you could have were virtually unlimited.

The problem I saw from the beginning though, was the background storyline and the time frame. In the era the game was supposed to be in, there should have been NO Jedi whatsoever. To this day I can't figure out why they didn't choose a different time frame.

• 4 weeks later...

I disagree with those who say that in this timeline there should be no Jedi. I guess Obi wan and Yoda weren't Jedi and Luke trained himself. I do agree that Jedi should not just be a click away. It should be a challenge to become a Jedi. That is the way it was in all the movies and books. For a true SW experience only a certain low percentage of the galaxies population would have the nessacary midichlorian levels to even be considered for training in the Jedi arts. If it were easy everyone would do it (which is pretty much what we have now. Hey I am tired of this prof think I will be a Jedi.) Furthermore in this timeline which is after episode 4 and prior to episode 6 Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine were seeking the destruction of all the Jedi. So anyone exhibiting force sensitivity would be hunted down and killed, or made to serve the empire. So flashing your lightsaber in public or use of force powers in public should draw attention, and not be an everyday occurence. I hear that is how it was pre-nge/pre-cu. Also for those who say there should be no Jedi I say this watch the movies it is a series of 6 movies that revolve around the Jedi and the Sith. Groan all you want facts are facts. Without the struggle of the Jedi vs. the Sith Star wars is just another run of the mill Sci-Fi movie that probably wouldn't have had 2 sequels and 3 prequels.

• 2 weeks later...

You have to ask yourself how "Star Warsy" it is when you see 2 Jedi Masters running around half-naked in Theed shooting lightning bolts and swinging lightsabers at each other, and stormtroopers walking by not even blinking twice at the sight.

You have to ask yourself how "Star Warsy" it is when you see 2 Jedi Masters running around half-naked in Theed shooting lightning bolts and swinging lightsabers at each other, and stormtroopers walking by not even blinking twice at the sight.

You have a valid point there. I guess there is no accounting for maturity.

That is a very good point; people also don't want to see character names like "IAmPwnNubs" when playing the in SW universe.

• 1 month later...
I couldn't agree more, DM. Quests were severely lacking at launch, and I think even now they still lack in creativity. But at least there was the opportunity to be unique in a thriving world, when the possible combinations of skills you could have were virtually unlimited.

The problem I saw from the beginning though, was the background storyline and the time frame. In the era the game was supposed to be in, there should have been NO Jedi whatsoever. To this day I can't figure out why they didn't choose a different time frame.

I can explain that for you, thay picked the timeline whit intention to not alow jedi in the game, only very few for the real hardcore playerbase whit perment death, but then the playerbase started whining a lot, so thay removed permented death , and from one thing comes another and invested a lot of time intro Jedi's since all the kids wanted to be it...Its not the Timeline thats the problem ...its the Jedi! If thay had no jedi's as playable class or kept in permant death and no futher invesment intro develpment, it would have been a mighty fine game today...hope this explains it

• 1 month later...
I can explain that for you, thay picked the timeline whit intention to not alow jedi in the game, only very few for the real hardcore playerbase whit perment death, but then the playerbase started whining a lot, so thay removed permented death , and from one thing comes another and invested a lot of time intro Jedi's since all the kids wanted to be it...Its not the Timeline thats the problem ...its the Jedi! If thay had no jedi's as playable class or kept in permant death and no futher invesment intro develpment, it would have been a mighty fine game today...hope this explains it

I think they should have a Great Jedi Purge. I played SWG when it first came out and had to quit. I came back and started to play agin about two weeks ago. Thier are way to many Jedi.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I don't know if anyone knows me or not, but I play Tohee Liveewidee on Kauri. I had to stop playing because my yearly subscription became too expensive, for the time being to anyone that knows me.

I must say, that I understand about the old game and what it used to be like. Fortunately, I got a taste of Pre-nge life. But, I didn't get very far with it. By the time, Nge happened, I was still a level 8 carbineer with no real future.

One of the good things about NGE is the way they made it so that new players get a taste for the game and like it. I enjoyed talking to the real Han Solo, Harrison Ford. You make it to 10 levels and then start the game. After that, you go through a series of quests called Legacy that gets you up to level 50. After that, Kashyyyk helps, but that's where they leave you. It took me another year to make it to 90.

Anyway enough history, the current game is fun! The most enthusiastic players are the brand new ones, but I've even seen several hardcore veterans say, "This is fun!" The Chapters revamped everything including space. I now, have a reason to go into space and have fun pulling Gs. I can get all kinds of collections loot that I can either use or sell. I encourage people to give it a try.

No, I'm not being paid by SOE, I don't even like some of what they do, but the game itself is fun! According to them, the old code was much harder to modify, and correct than the current game code. I have to agree with them, they seem to come out with a quick fix every week or two. They are always fixing bugs, in the game. They come to your aid if you get stuck or broken. I still haven't complete Legacy on my main character because it's actually broken, and when I asked them about it they didn't know why. I don't either, Tohee is the only character I have that didn't get to complete Legacy.

I don't like the time line either, for one thing TIE Interceptors and B-wings were not yet invented, during this time line. Not to mention, it's pointless to join the rebellion because the game never goes forward in time, either. The Empire always wins in the end. There's no room for change. I think, they should place the time line during the time of Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, personally. That way, they can explain all the Jedi and Sith walking around.

What makes you think Bioware would do a better job, for one thing all they did with KoTOR was reproduce the rules from the Wizards of the Coast paper based RPG, second it Obsidian did a much better job as far as game play is concerned. Second, and I had this conversation with a guild mate on ventrilo, the Knights of the Old Republic and it's sequel are best designed for a one player environment. Can you imagine, voice actors in SWG? Except Harrison Ford, who did a wonderful job with the tutorial, there are no voice actors. Mainly, because of the vast number of npcs in the game.

The current SWG is more of a First person shooter than a role-playing game. It's still dice based, but it's unnoticeable, unlike KoTOR, meaning hiding behind a box does nothing for you. It's funny watching NPCs attack you through the wall or closed door. Anyway, I understand, now why they can't give you KoTOR on a grand scale.

I wish, it could be virtual reality, or even better, the Matrix, just plug in and everything is real, and even the food will nourish you. But, that's only partically science fiction. Virtual reality is not that advanced, yet, but it's starting to get there with the Wii.

Anyway, try the current game, and see how you like it. I love Collections, I could do that for a long time.

Archived