Home

This game is too easy *minor spoilers*

lessthanjake2

Basically, KotOR 2 is way too easy. RPGs are a lot about the story and advancing it so no one likes an RPG to have really really tough battles, but TSL just takes that to the extreme. It is way too easy and in my opinion it hurts the game greatly. Let me explain.

This is how I feel about the kotor games. The first one had the better story, but TSL should have the better gameplay because it added more stuff (more powers, feats, upgrades, etc etc). The addition of extra powers and feats, as well as the much improved upgrade system give more options and depth to the game that the first one can't rival. However, the fact that the game is too easy messes this all up. Making a really well made character is just overkill in this game. You end up just dominating everything. And even a badly done character has no trouble. WHat this means is that you dont really need any of the extra powers/feats that the game has, and upgrades arent really needed either, although they are a bit more important to have. This makes the added depth of the game almost useless. Let me give you an example. When I become a Sith Marauder/Jedi Weapons Master I can get the superior two weapon fighting feats that add 1 to the attack on my off hand I believe. Sounds great, and is a great idea to have in the game. However, as it turns out I am hitting everything pretty much every time anyways so that feat's affects arent noticed. Another example: they added a third heal power. Once again, it sounds great. But the reality is that you will never need fast healing or even need to spam a bunch of heals after a battle to get back to full health. My last example: you can upgrade armor to be really awesome. But you arent gonna get close to dying ever anyways so once again it is obsolete. I could go on and on with this but my conclusion is that the fact that the game is too easy makes all these new options just overkill, and they dont honestly affect the gameplay too much.

Furthermore, it also makes options that were in the first game a waste of time too. You are never going to need mines, energy shields, or adrenals, or even grenades. Now I am not saying that you really needed those in the first game, but there WERE some tough battles where using those could make the battle pretty easy. For instance in KOTOR 1 when you are getting the prototype swoop accelerator from the Vulkar Base, that mini boss battle in the room with the prototype is pretty tough. But if you pop on energy shields on all your guys, and use a couples grenades, then its not too bad. In the Vulkar Base there is also a room where you fight guys who have the security passcard thing. That battle can be really really hard. But if you have Mission use stealth and lay down a bunch of mines in front of them, then charge in, a few of the guys will blow themselves up and make it a pretty standard battle after that. Admittedly in the first game, situation like that were rare, but they were definately there. In TSL you simply have NO need for those items. I mean why would I pop on energy shields when I can just kick the enemies' asses in 10 seconds without them? I wouldnt. Once again, it takes away depth.

I can honestly say that I can count the hard battles ive had in TSL on one hand (even after playing it through like 5 times). One time I had some trouble with the mercenaries outside the military base in the Telos Restoration Zone. But that was only cause I was using a guns only character and at that point I was lacking any good guns. Ive never had trouble there otherwise. Ive had trouble with Atton against the Twi'lek bounty hunters on Nar Shaddaa, but that was only cause I didnt know that battle was coming and I stupidly had my good items equipped on other people. Other than those two incidents, I cant remember a hard battle. A lot of people say Vrook is hard, but personally, idk what it is but ive never had trouble with him. On the other hand in KOTOR 1, there were frequently battles where people of my party died. I can think of like 2-4 examples of that on each planet, not to mention that the Star Forge is hard just by virtue of being overwhelmed with enemies.

It gets to the point where the second half of TSL makes your other NPCs obselete too. Even going solo it is very easy. It frankly gets boring. It also makes me want to play the game again less. I am less excited to try out a different build because I know that any build I do will be excessively easy whether its technically a good build or not.

And yes, I have set the game to difficult. It doesnt change much. The game is just WAY WAY WAY too easy. Alright, my rant is over.

What do you want us to do about it. There are mods. You can turn the fix off for the Dantooine lag problem to make it harder. You can play the game through unarmed. Or try changing your player combos round so you don't use the same people with the same skills ans same guns every single playthrough. Other than that id advise sucking a lemon with salt being poured into your eyes, works for me.

Am I the worst Kotor player on this whole forum? Everyone says that the second one is so easy. But I found the game very challenging at times. In fact, sadly enough, sometimes I have had to resort to putting the game on "easy" in order to get through certain tough fights.

TSL was fine to me, I found it challenging. Then again, maybe it's that I just stink at video games or something.

What do you want us to do about it. There are mods. You can turn the fix off for the Dantooine lag problem to make it harder. You can play the game through unarmed. Or try changing your player combos round so you don't use the same people with the same skills ans same guns every single playthrough. Other than that id advise sucking a lemon with salt being poured into your eyes, works for me.

I dont want you to do anything. I just generally was in a complaining mood.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but TSL felt fine to me. Maybe you were playing it on easy or normal and it was easy then?

Nah, I put it on difficult.

And I dunno about you but I have found mines, stimulants, shields, and grenades especially, very helpful.

Well they are helpful obviously cause they are beneficial but my point is that they arent needed, and I feel like they are a waste of time because I can easily just run in and kill everyone without much in the way of consequences.

Am I the worst Kotor player on this whole forum? Everyone says that the second one is so easy. But I found the game very challenging at times. In fact, sadly enough, sometimes I have had to resort to putting the game on "easy" in order to get through certain tough fights.

TSL was fine to me, I found it challenging. Then again, maybe it's that I just stink at video games or something.

I dont think you can really be bad or good at kotor. I dont think I am particularly good or anything. Out of curiosity though, what battles did you find hard?

The end of Nar Shadaa if you get Mira can be very difficult (at least to me). The ending two battles (Sion and Traya) were also very hard. Oh, and I sometimes find the entrance of Freedon Nadds tomb hard due to the sheer amount of enemies at the tomb entrance.

Maybe we just have different tastes in video games or something. Maybe you like a challenge, so you find the game too easy.

I agree with most of the criticism of the game's difficulty setting. I always always play on "Difficult" setting, but it's still very easy, and oddly that affects the skill uses more than the battles...

Darth Traya is also an easy fight. Okay, yes, those three lightsabers can be a challenge, but only if you insist on taking them all on at the same time, while letting Traya use force powers on you. I always retreat, then take them one at a time, which is incredibly easy. Nihilus is also easy to defeat. Sion is a challenge mostly because he just won't die, and you have fight and talk endlessly. But the fight itself is easy, particularly for a sith with force crush... The Handmaiden vs. Atris fight is a bit more challenging, but then the outcome is the same whether you win or lose...

You know I never realised that the Atris fight was the same whether you win or lose. What may have turned out as an excuse for me to flame someone has actually taught me something new.

And if the game is too easy for you on difficult mode, then install some of the mods that make it harder, give sith assassins lightsabers, etc.

I agree the battles in the game can seem easy(ish) - the ones you mention as being a little more difficult (mercenaries on Telos, and Freedon Nadd tomb for example) I also found very hard. I do see TSL as a game that actually wants you to make it to the end (not like some games I own which seem to punish you the further you get through it!), but the fun comes in the variety of gameplay types - not only Male/Female and LS/DS, but Lightsaber or ranged, or unarmed, aggressive or stationery/grenadier, heavy armour + no force powers or robes + Force Storm ownage etc. Also, the more you replay the game, the more you learn about it. Yes, I can kill most stuff in the game without breaking a sweat (although I did have MAJOR problems with Vrook first time as a Dark Sider), but I think I'm going to enjoy playing it through more as a LS Consular without an uber-Lightsaber or any DarkSide offensive powers. It's up to you to choose how you get enjoyment out of playing the game.

Plus, there's always mods as mentioned earlier :-)

Sadam

The end of Nar Shadaa if you get Mira can be very difficult (at least to me). The ending two battles (Sion and Traya) were also very hard. Oh, and I sometimes find the entrance of Freedon Nadds tomb hard due to the sheer amount of enemies at the tomb entrance.

Maybe we just have different tastes in video games or something. Maybe you like a challenge, so you find the game too easy.

Yeah you are right. Nar Shadaa with Mira is actually the only part of the game that is WAY too hard. For that you gotta retreat and stuff which is stupid. So you are right on that one. Thats not the type of challenge I am looking for. I dont want something where you will 100% get owned by the enemies if you fight them head on. I want something where youll have a slight upper hand if anything if you fight them head on, but the use of mines/grenades,adrenals etc etc would make it a lot easier. Oddly enough, I found that having Hanharr at that part of Nar Shadaa on difficult mode provides the exact challenge I am looking for. Most of the time you will win if you take on a room of those dudes head on, but theres a chance you wont, so it is definately worth it to use those things I listed. The entrance to Freedon Nadd's tomb is another battle I actually like the difficulty of. It's not extremely difficult, but your guys are gonna lose considerable amounts of their vitality during it, making it worth it in my mind to do something other than just spam flurry with all my character.

As for Sion, I never have a problem with him. Traya can be difficult if you fight the lightsabers head on I guess, but ive never done that.

So yes I guess there ARE some tough battles. Let me list them though.

1. Mira on Nar Shadaa

2. Traya

3. Mercenaries on Telos

4. Freedon Nadds tomb entrance

5. Atton against the Twi'leks

6. Hanharr on Nar Shadaa

The problem is that this means that in any one game, you are gonna face a total of 5 mildly tough battles where you probably should think of doing something other than just running in and whacking the enemies. The rest of the battles are so easy that strategy is worthless. I guess thats what I dont like. I WANT to use strategy, but theres just no point.

Archived