Home

Anyone get the feeling Lucasarts doesn't want another KOTOR

Mister Chief

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

eff that. they'd be crazy not to make another KOTOR. it's guarenteed to make at least as much money as the other two. maybe the fact that they're taking so long to announce it implies that they're making damn sure that it's a finnished project before it hits stores. who knows? maybe they learned their lesson from KOTOR II. i'm trying not to assume anything, though.

Personally I think they expelled their creative juices on the first two games. They created so many different scenarios regarding Revan, The Exile, and their respective crews, It would be very difficult to develop a believable and consistent story for all of them and make it cohesive with whatever new story there is to be told. Sure, I may be shortchanging Obsidian, or whoever ends up developing the game (ithere is one), but it would be a steep challenge, maybe too steep.

I didn't see the other thread.... anyways, this thread is to discuss how this will affect any possible KOTOR 3.

Lucasarts, bieng a publisher, doesn't make the games in-house, but it would still be a strech to think lucasarts could fund any more games at the moment.

Hey Guys, Check out this interview from gamespot on the new partnership.

Full Story

The part that gets me is

"PH: That's a great question. I mean, we deal with some incredibly sensitive IP. I saw Star Wars: Episode III a year before it came out. So it's part of the culture here. Our IP is one of our most valuable assets, and if you spill the beans about a movie or game it really robs it of its potency. Everyone loves the instant rush of a spoiler on the Internet. Then, after you read it, it's like, "Oh, I wish I hadn't seen that, I wish I had seen how that played out in a theatre or in a game."

So, I think it's traditionally, it's very important to maintain to maintain an integrity about what we're working on because, like I said, there's stuff in the pipe that that I can't wait to talk about. But it's not the right time for a variety of reasons. You know, there's stuff going on with Star Wars that is really cool and exciting but, you know again, there's a time and place to talk about it.

Culturally, at LucasArts, I mean, we share a lot of information with Lucasfilm. Our new people are always surprised how much detail we go into at our company meetings, but it sort of says, "Hey, we trust you as a Lucasfilm employee. You're going to be exposed to a lot of really rockin' stuff and you got to keep it under your hat because that's part of the job." And I think everyone here then signs up for it. "

I am pretty sure he means the content of a game and not a game itself, but It made me a little giddy.

I wouldn't get discouraged yet; the absense of evidence isn't evidence of absense.

Or to put it another way, just because LA has been making a big fuss over their other games lately shouldn't be taken as a sign that they've lost interest in the KOTOR series.

LA just has a lot on its plate right now; they're simotaniously working on this new "Vader" game, the Indiana Jones one, and whatever that tech demo from E3 was for. To announce a new KOTOR game right now wouldn't make much sense.

I have a feeling KOTOR3 is already on their radar, and that they're saving something for 2007. The demand is there, Obsidian is ready and waiting, and their other projects will all be finished.

There ofcourse will be a Kotor III, how stupid would LA be to not recognize the wanting of another one, and the deny of real money. No company, especially LA is that stupid.

And to make they big bucks they want, they are making sure its one of the best they can produce, what with the new engine and stuf there using for 'Force Unleashed', i wouldnt be surprised if they decide to use that for Kotor III as well, that would double the sellings, if it was announced that would be announced that that would be the engine used for it.

So yes, i reckon theyre just waiting, (Don't have a clue what for though) till either later on in the year, or early 2007, seeing what other company's are bringing, and make sure they have something to compete with for the bigger games what would be coming out soon enough.

Anyway, thats my input :D

I agree with you Mr_BFA. GL and LucasArts would be stupid not developing a third part of the game as the demand and the fans are willing to buy it. But what annoys me is that LA is serving the mass market right now with this Lego SW and this MMRPG.

Well, I hope you're right that GL and LA are just waiting for the right moment for publishing it and the release the best sequel.

I think LA is reluctant about K3, because K2 was a success on several fronts, it also spawned a lot of criticism of the company due to its "semi-completed" nature. I think they're being very cautious about how to approach K3, because it can blow up in their faces, if they don't get the plot and execution right the first time.

I do think K3 will come, though. K2 left the door wide open for it with a cliffhanger-of-sorts ending, so we need K3 for that reason alone if no other. I wouldn't be surprised if K3 is being planned as we speak.

There ofcourse will be a Kotor III, how stupid would LA be to not recognize the wanting of another one, and the deny of real money. No company, especially LA is that stupid.
The question isn't whether K3 would make money, the question is could they make more money doing something else.

The anwser may very well be yes. There have been lots of very successful series that they no longer do (X-Wing series for example).

The question isn't whether K3 would make money, the question is could they make more money doing something else.

The anwser may very well be yes. There have been lots of very successful series that they no longer do (X-Wing series for example).

That, and the fact that RPGs are probably the most complicated games to make. LA could make money out of a 3rd game, but with the negativity towards the rushed 2nd and the amount of work it would need; it may be ditched for easier money-making options.

The X-wing series was completely Lawrance Holland's baby (and Totally Games'), so it's not surprising they didn't dare go near it after Totally Games went on to do other things (I'm still miffed they didn't get to do their sequel to Star Trek: Bridge Commander, which was by far the best Trek game ever IMHO... not that "best trek game" says much...).

And didn't LA try a starfighter game similar to x-wing that just didn't quite catch on for one of the consoles? I think they did, only to realise that these games don't translate well to consoles (which is where the real money is these days, I fear...). A new X-wing game would sell a lot if it was any good, I think, but only on the PC, which I suspect is why we won't see one.

After seeing the footage for "Mass Effect", I get the feeling that they want to wait and produce a game that looks as amazing as M.E.

If Kotor 3 came out looking like Mass Effect, i would gut myself put all my organs into my pc, connect my brain to the cpu, shed my physical body and never leave the room again.

^^^

I'd do the same! Kidney donation FTW!! :D

@ Topic:

If Kotor 3 came out looking like Mass Effect, i would gut myself put all my organs into my pc, connect my brain to the cpu, shed my physical body and never leave the room again.

It could be that they have licenced the engine, but made the deal that Mass Effect is the first game to be released with it. I remeber something similar happened with the Source Engine and Vampire: The Masquarade game.

If so, I would let go of all my frustration regarding the waiting game, and start donating some organs for a 64-bit processors!

The X-wing series was completely Lawrance Holland's baby (and Totally Games'), so it's not surprising they didn't dare go near it after Totally Games went on to do other things (I'm still miffed they didn't get to do their sequel to Star Trek: Bridge Commander, which was by far the best Trek game ever IMHO... not that "best trek game" says much...).
True enough. I was just pointing out that there are lots of examples of very successful series not continuing, even if the potential for money is there. And this can happen for many reasons, as you point out above.

And didn't LA try a starfighter game similar to x-wing that just didn't quite catch on for one of the consoles? I think they did, only to realise that these games don't translate well to consoles (which is where the real money is these days, I fear...). A new X-wing game would sell a lot if it was any good, I think, but only on the PC, which I suspect is why we won't see one.

I believe you are refering to Rogue Squadron. It was in fact a very successful series in its own right. But it sounds like it too will not be continuing...

Once again, success != continuing.

Isn't it annoying how LucasArts continued to anounce s**t games all the time? And there isn't one single mention of KotOR 3 any where. Its always crappy indy, or some other s**t game that no one wants to play. They seem to be ignoring KotOR 3 altogether. I mean how many of you are actually going to play any of those games that LA are making now? Of course Lego Star Wars II has one exception of course, I'm interested in Lego Star Wars II for sure, but the other games seem to be really s**t. Are any of you expecting any of these LA games to be hits like the legendary KotOR? Na I don't think so. Even though ROTS was good, but LA's bloody games always seem to be in one timeline all the time, focasing around the movies. They don't seem to care about what fans want. I've been to every single KotOR forum, and fans want KotOR 3, and I'm one of them, are any of you sick of hearing the same old s**t game time and time again? its about time we do something about it and let bloody LA know that we want KotOR 3 and not any other s**t game, unless it does better then the original KotOR.

Isn't it annoying how LucasArts continued to anounce s**t games all the time?
Actually, I think they have some great stuff coming down the pipe (Indy, for example).

And there isn't one single mention of KotOR 3 any where. Its always crappy indy, or some other s**t game that no one wants to play.
Make no mistake. If people really didn't want to play them, they wouldn't be making them.

They seem to be ignoring KotOR 3 altogether.
Likely because the option to do other things is currently a better choice. This could be for a whole host of reasons.

Are any of you expecting any of these LA games to be hits like the legendary KotOR? Na I don't think so.
Maybe not, but they could very well make Lucasarts more money, which is all that matters.

Even though ROTS was good, but LA's bloody games always seem to be in one timeline all the time, focasing around the movies.
Because they tend to be by far the biggest sellers and moneymakers.

They don't seem to care about what fans want.
They are a business. They do what makes them the most money. That is why they are there. And they do care what the fans want, because they make games that fans obviously want to buy. They owe fans nothing. There is no entitlement here.

I've been to every single KotOR forum, and fans want KotOR 3, and I'm one of them, are any of you sick of hearing the same old s**t game time and time again?
So you went to KOTOR forums and found that people there want another KOTOR? I think your reseach is a little biased. :)

its about time we do something about it and let bloody LA know that we want KotOR 3 and not any other s**t game, unless it does better then the original KotOR.
In the end, you vote with your dollars. If you don't like the new games, don't buy them. That is the only way to send LA your message. Do you think they don't know what the potential market is for K3? They don't have their heads in the sand. Their decisions take all that into consideration.

Personally I think that (IMO rightly) they think doing K3 now would lead to the inevitable "K3 is just a cash grab coming out so soon after K2" mentality, which they would no doubt want to avoid. Presumably they will revisit the idea in the future. Whether it makes sense at that point or not, who can say?

But getting all bitter about it accomplishes exactly zero.

Archived