Home

Winners don't do drugs.

El Sitherino

And not doing bad things is too cool for school.

What was up with all the crazy moral to the story or moral of the day **** they put at the end of episodes of those saturday morning cartoons in the 80's-90's?

Seriously, what the **** is cartoon Mr. T doing going at the end of his episodes saying "Remember kids, I pity the foo that uses violence to handle his problems."

CARTOON. MR. T.

Captain Planet, there was the only show that could (sometimes) sensibly get away with those. But even they ****ed it up with their heavy handing, emotional pandering bull****. Cartoon monkeys running in terror of their houses on fire.

I mean, I like monkeys and ****, and don't want them to die, but seriously. That was just way too overly dramatic for me.

GI Joe.

Ah, the american hero. Now, I admit, I am a fan of this series, but those end of the episode moral things were ****ed up.

The overly token minority characters. The way they sounded perfectly PC, yet were far from it in some instances.

Seriously, those were ****ed up, and extremely hilarious. "Winners don't do drugs. GO JOE!"

then you also had some of the scooby-doo cash-ins, talking about how "bullying is wrong and hurts people" or "why you shouldn't steal".

Or, while not a cartoon, Power Rangers, where they come on and say "remember kids, never solve your problems with a fight."

... That is contrary to everything that just happened in the episode? They don't even say "unless as a last resort", they just say "never solve your problems with a fight". Seriously, what the hell?

Anyone else remember those? Was I the only one that found them strange and annoying?

PS: Everyone should get this album.

Sithy, I'm not sure if this is the most enlightened post to grace the Lucasforums...or if you're ****ing loony.

I thought you were originally going to talk about Floyd Landis, since apparently it's positive now: he had more testosterone in him during the Tour De France than a small Mexican bull.

Edit- Power Rangers have a license to kill. Regular citizens of the US of A can only dream of one day having the God-given freedoms that the Power Rangers hold.

I'm not bashing anything except the retarded, tacked-on moral lessons that had no real relation to the show other than featuring it's characters.

See, it's because the show is targeted at kids. They don't know any better. If a bully comes looking for a fight, they'll think to themselves "what would the Power Rangers do?" and remember that violence is not the answer because the PRs told him not to. Then he gets the crap beat out of him and morality wins. But see, we older, more experienced folk, we know that what the PRs really do is beat the **** out of every ****ing enemy that comes their way, saving the peoples of the world and the American way.

Hey now, the Power Rangers rule. Green Ranger was the best.

DRAGONZORD!

I don't remember them saying "don't use violence to solve your problems" that much. I do remember that the Green Ranger would sometimes say it at the end of the show, but not all the time.

I'm just glad cartoons [i watch] these days don't have those moral lessons mentioned.

What I foud utterly stupid about all these shows, is how every character would start laughing after a bad joke at the end of each episodes.

They parody that in Clerks: The Animated Series.

Come to think of it, they did "moral lessons" there too, like "When camping, always remember to tie your lunch up in a tree". :)

Why did they have to take it off the air after a measly 6 episodes? Why? :(

What I foud utterly stupid about all these shows, is how allt the characters would start laughing after a bad joke or something at the end of each episodes.

That **** pissed me off too.

I had forgotten about it, until you brought it up.

Seriously, that was annoying as hell. Especially in Scooby-Doo, and I love Scooby-Doo.

I saw a moral lesson at the end of Captain Planet once that told you not to leave the sink running while you're brushing your teeth, because you'll use up some of the world's water supply.

Seriously, wtf.

And what exactly has Sithy been taking recently?

What I foud utterly stupid about all these shows, is how allt the characters would start laughing after a bad joke or something at the end of each episodes.

Thundercats was the worst for that.. especially as they always tried to do it as a distance shot, looking at them from an unusual angle.. but the animators were so bad they always looked deformed. Deformed and vibrating between two frames of animation.

As for the morals.. watch the old He-man cartoons.. where prince adam (?) would pop up and give you a moral lesson almost entirely unrelated to the adventure you'd just watched.. though sometimes related to the misadventures that annoying little ghost-sidekick-thing had gotten into.. :mad:

Mmm.. The bad joke thing really pissed me off too. I can understan the whole moral thing on something like Sesame st. but some hero will just be finished beating the **** out of someone and then turn to you with an anti violence slogan? Don't the makers of these shows think about what they're doing?

I just remember getting annoyed with them as a kid. When the show was over, I was ready for the next show.

"Cool episode! Whats next? Oh, this thing....ok....oh, more commercials...Spidermans next!!! YAY!....ok, more commercials...Guess I'll grab a Coke(10 seconds later) Oh man, I missed the beggining..."

I like when The Simpsons had a "moral lesson" at the end of the Bart The General episode. After the episode, Bart says something like, "There are no winners in war, only losers. There are no good wars... with the exception of the American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy. Goodnight everybody!"

^ Reminds me of the end of a Family Guy episode:

Hi, I'm Peter Griffin. We've had a lot of laughs tonight. But I'll tell you what's not funny. Killing strippers. Strippers are people too. Naked people who may be willing to pleasure you for a price behind the curtain of a VIP room. Besides, there's no need to kill them. Because most of them are already dead inside. Good night everyone!

There was a big fuss in the media about kids copying the moves from Power Rangers.. wonder if they added the lesson at the end because of that.

Didn't Mysterious Cities of Gold have some sort of weird 5 minute nature documentary tagged on?

Interesting side note i found out recently: Hi-man was originally Conan. Hasbro (i think) bought the rights to the Conan (arnie) movie toys and a cartoon, but then realised it was too adult in nature.. so they re-tooled it into the He-man toys and toon.

Thats why skeletor is a lot like the evil necromancer guy from the conan novels.. both skeletal faced necromancers who lead armies of snakemen.

• 2 weeks later...

While the group was discussing their subject on morals that appear in cartoons

from the 90's and the apparent hypocrisy the corny characters brought upon themselves.

Tie stayed silent in a corner thinking to himself unnoticed. The subject floated along like

a boat on a river destined to rapids while its passengers argued with each other on

whether to jump and make it for shore, to try and paddle it, or to just to ride it through

and hope for the best.

It hit points where they argued why the writers even had moral lessons at the end

and argued about them. Then they immediately switched sides joined the writers because

of the obligations instilled by the viewer's parents; fearing that their opinion on the

seemingly harmless cartoon violence could harm their children. Then labeling the show

as a bad influence on the children.

The discussion continued and Tie thus because increasingly frustrated from his

combination of fatigue and not understanding what they were all in a fit about,

not experiencing being a fan of shows like GI Joe, Power Rangers and the like. Then he

realized the insanity of the subject and the people discussing it, all grown men who

should have long passed this phase but still enthralled by the enforcement of social

correctness on their favorite shows. Nostalgia played a part in their attempted

explanations for their considered heresy and infringement of free speech in the creator’s

art.

But the thought still lingered and bounced around in his head, “Why are these

people discussing cartoons in such a feverish way? It was if their best friend was framed

for a crime he didn’t commit and they could do nothing about getting them out of jail.

This is ridiculous.”

Tie sat for a few more moments and considered the ideas, frustrated and annoyed

he considered leaving, not understanding anything about this subject of “Moral lessons in

cartoons” when it should be left alone.

“This is why I don’t watch cartoons,” he grumbled to himself and lowered his

eyes down to the table. The talking started to stop and it became very silent, he wasn’t

listening so he didn’t know if they had come to an agreement of

just simply ran out of ideas.

Few more moments passed and an uncomfortable feeling washed over him. He

felt a little paranoid and self conscience as if the stop had been because of him. He then

raised his head to see what the matter was and saw that everyone was looking at him. A

dumb look went over his face and he stared back at

the small crowd gathered around the table. He tried to think of a response but only

blurted out a “What?” to the people.

“Are you ****ing narrating?” said IG.

“Erm… yah. Why?” he responded, furiously embarrassed. Suddenly the large

room felt stuffy.

“Why?” said another, farther away; he couldn’t tell who.

Tie let out no response and left it at that. All shared the same confused feelings

for him and what had happened. He had for no real reason just wrote two pages of a story

narrating a thread. Subjects changed and many criticisms came up onto the table.

Hmm... *shuffles out* :p

I'll be reading this thread tomorrow morning, ta-ta.

Archived