Home

Timothy Zhan's: Characters, Novels, etc...

The Source

Timothy Zhan's: Characters, Novels, etc...

Since there are so many threads, I thought I would open up a thread to Timothy Zhan's interpretation of the Star Wars EU. His characters and stories are extrodinary, and they all have deep detail.

...Characters

Mara Jade

Thrawn

Karrad

Flim

501st (His Version)

Etc...

...Novels

The Thrawn Trilogy

Heir to the Empire (1992)

Dark Force Rising (1993)

The Last Command (1993)

The Hand of Thrawn duology

Specter of the Past (1998)

Vision of the Future (1999)

Other Star Wars Novels

Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand - a graphic novel (1999)

Survivor's Quest (2004)

Outbound Flight (2006)

Allegiance (Release in February 2007)

(Please.*** I ask those who have a negative opinion to not post. Untless you have something intellegant to post, please reframe from adding to this thread. ***Please.)

1. What character of his is your favorite?

2. What about his writting style do you like?

3. Where do you think he is going with his series?

4. Do you think he will start a fresh story?

5. Who is your favorite villan?

6. If you where fighting for the Rebellion, who would you want to be on your side?

7. Do you think Zhan will move past Thrawn?

8. What books do you have?

9. Etc...

Thrawn; for obvious reasons.

It doesn't give me a headache to read a Zahn novel... unlike Kevin J. Anderson's "Jedi Academy" trillogy.

He doesn't really have anything going right now...

That'd be cool. But it looks like the EU is already pretty busy at the moment.

Read my answer to no.1

6. If you where fighting for the Rebellion, who would you want to be on your side?

What does this have to do with the Zahn novels?

Yes. Thrawn is arguably the best villian in the SW universe; but he's dead. I havn't quite finished Vision of the Future yet so I can't comment on Flim the way I'd like to.

Give it a few days and the last Zahn book I don't own (Survivor's Quest) should be here.

9. Etc...

That's not a question... Zahn rules.

I really really dont understand why zahn is loved so much his stuff is pretty terrible and boring, the thrawn trilogy was awful i mean a cloned luke! come on! how the hell did they retrive his hand from the center iof a gas giant use your brain Zahn that was stupid!

and dont get me started on the beloved mara jade god i hate that character the way people wank on about her you'd think she was the chosen one sod the skywalkers.

bah i've just woken up so forgive the incoherant grumpyness.

1. Thrawn - because of his tactical ability... and his goal...

2. Well written... characters well portrayed... story fits into the universe well...

3. Further into the EU...

4. Maybe...

5. Joruus C'boath...

6. Bel Iblis... Thrawn...

7. Yes... bu he will always be one of his main contributions...

8. Thrawn Trilogy, Thrawn Duology, Survivors Quest & Fools bargain...

9. Great author... ought to write about Thrawn's service in the Empire and his service in the Unknown Regions...

Mara Jade ;)

Very descriptive, yet keeps to the point. he's my second fav author, preceeded by James Luceno, even though i have only one Tim Zahn book :D

Hopefully.

Thrawn, of what i heard, he's a genius tactician.

The 501st Legion

Survivor's Quest

I really really dont understand why zahn is loved so much his stuff is pretty terrible and boring, the thrawn trilogy was awful i mean a cloned luke! come on! how the hell did they retrive his hand from the center iof a gas giant use your brain Zahn that was stupid!
Who said his hand made it all the way into Bespin's core? Luke himself lived through the fall; his hand only needed to be kinda mostly there. They don't need much to make a clone.

and dont get me started on the beloved mara jade god i hate that character the way people wank on about her you'd think she was the chosen one sod the skywalkers.
I havn't read too much by people on here who are overly hung up over Mara Jade. She's a good character; the fact that we had to wait four and a half books before she even started to open up to Luke gives her substance. She's not some h00r filling in for Leia.

bah i've just woken up so forgive the incoherant grumpyness.
You always complain about Zahn and how he tells storys about Luke and Leia and Han and the gang.

Want to read some horrible SW EU? Try anything by Kevin J. Anderson, mr. "afraid to step on anyone's toes."

I Like his crazy Jedi Clone Jorrus C'bauth

His description of duels and the force

I just finished the first trilogy so, I dont know

I hope so.

Rukh

Rukh, Thrawn, The Whole Nogrhi Nation

I cant tell, it seems to be his strong point.

HTTE, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command

9. Etc...

I found his creation of the Dark Force Fleet as a clone wars relic was excelent. I also beleive the Nogrhi were an excellent Idea. And I agree with ch0g0nda, Kevin Andersons books are kinda boring.

Everybody has their favorite writter. One of my reasons for liking his stuff is because he is pre-NJO. Personally, I like how he confronts the Empire on multiple angles. In science-fiction anything is possible, and his works show that type of dimensional thinking.

Yeah, I have to admit he has some dry stuff, but it comes together pretty cleanly. Every book has its dry moments, so there isn't any suprise there.

Karrde - Is my favorite character. Mara Jade - comes in second.

Who said his hand made it all the way into Bespin's core? Luke himself lived through the fall; his hand only needed to be kinda mostly there. They don't need much to make a clone.

yes but luke lived through it because he held on to an antenna and then the falcon came along now if i severed hand could do that i'd be incredibly amazed

Face it that hand was long gone.

Want to read some horrible SW EU? Try anything by Kevin J. Anderson, mr. "afraid to step on anyone's toes."

Sadly i have and agree he is even worse than Zahn, i dunno im just not a fan of batam books they were dull and had some really dumb ideas.

yes but luke lived through it because he held on to an antenna and then the falcon came along now if i severed hand could do that i'd be incredibly amazed

Face it that hand was long gone.

Luke was miracuously sucked/fell into that tube thingey. If the hand had taken a simular path it's entirely possible that it may have landed in a garbage bin or something.

The fact is we didn't see that hand fall towards Bespin, just the bottem of Cloud City; it could have survived. And since all of Star Wars is science-fiction anyway I'm willing to let Zahn have that one. The rest of his stuff is superb.

According to Han's bedtime story Luke's hand survive to becomt a hero... read Tales! XD

Well, it won't be surprised if the hand take a different path and didn't go thru the trapdoor.

Well, a hand falling this far won't be in good health, but it would be functional if you just want some cells out of it.

But like many famous Sci-Fi/Sci-Phantasy series there is enough of random impossable things happening in SW already(where is my ewok genocide people). At least there is no wild time travel yet... Oops !

People have to remember this is science-fiction. Terminator II was a prime example of science-fiction finding a nitch, so they could continue with the John Conner story.

If you watch the scene where Luke falls through the tubes, didn't they show an object falling out of the bottom of Bespin? Was that his hand or lightsaber? I will have to pause the image, so I can try to determine what the object was.

Out of all his Star Wars books, I have not read the whole Thrawn Trilogy. At the moment, I am finishing up 'Dark Force Rising'. Within the next few days, I will be starting 'The Last Command'. Even though I have read Specter of the Past, Vision of the Future, and Survivor's Quest first, I am still enjoying this series.

Yeah. There are dry moments linguring, but I think every book has a few of them. The only issue I am having, and I am glad he did address it later in the book was:

Luke debating over who to trust: Yoda and Obi-Wan's teachings -or- C'Boath's teachings. I am glad it was explained about how Luke's thoughts were clouded by C'Boath.

At the moment, I am here:

Mara, Luke, and Karrde are escaping from the Chimirela (sp?). They are trapped in some tunnel, and a group of troopers tried to take them out.

Luke's internal struggle with the whole Obi-Wan/Yoda vs. C'Boath was excellent. Luke knows that his training wasn't exactly, 'complete,' and thus he had to really consider C'Boath.

Upto this point in the story, Luke had one good excuse for listening to C'Boath. C'Boath is the only one left from the Old Jedi Council, and Luke thought he could learn something from him.

I thought this was great:

Mara shows up with a ysimari on her back, and helps Luke overcome the Force grip that C.Boath has on him.

I am glad that Mara is cold and ridged in this book. Her dreams are plagued with a misconception about how the Emporour was killed.

C'Boath was never on the council. His 'holier than thou' attitude towards non-force users was probably the reason.

Luke had only had Jedi training from Obi-Wan for a short while and then another incomplete stint with Yoda. After having been called upon to settle a disput on (I've forgotten which planet) Luke realized that there was more to being a Jedi than just flashing the lightsaber; he saw C'Boath's reappearance as a chance to fill in the blank's left by his incomplete training.

C'Boath was never on the council. His 'holier than thou' attitude towards non-force users was probably the reason.

Luke had only had Jedi training from Obi-Wan for a short while and then another incomplete stint with Yoda. After having been called upon to settle a disput on (I've forgotten which planet) Luke realized that there was more to being a Jedi than just flashing the lightsaber; he saw C'Boath's reappearance as a chance to fill in the blank's left by his incomplete training.

Yeah. I got the C'Boath thing messed up. I think he was a self-appointed Jedi Master.

Luke's eyes did open up when he had to dispute an argument in a cantina. At that point, he was 'winging it'.

One of the funniest parts was when the Noghri were running beside Leia and Chewy on their way to Nystao.

Not the exact words, but close:

"As they traveled to Nystao, Leia noticed a group of Noghri following them. After passing each village, Leia noticed more and more Noghri walking along side and behind them. Chewbacca growled from the uneasy feeling that they were being followed. Once they reach a lighted area, Leia and Chewy looked behind them, and for the first time they notice the enourmous crowed of Noghri that followed."

I keep seeing this image of a bunch of furry aliens racing through a green pasture, and the song 'Eye of the Tiger' playing in the back ground. Lol...

• 1 month later...

9. Etc...

To answer number one and number five - Thrawn. One of the best villains in the SW universe (if not the best). Cold, calm and really really intelligent.

To answer number two - he knows how to write a SW book, he knows how to describe the surroundings, the combat and the characters. Even when you can predict an outcome of a situation, he knows how to make it interesting for you when you read it.

To answer number three - I haven't read all of his books yet, so I don't really know.

To answer number eight - I have the Thrawn trilogy, Hand of Thrawn duology, Outbound Flight and Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand. I haven't read the last two yet.

• 4 weeks later...

1. Grand Admiral Thrawn

2. The fact that he is so detailed

3. Erm. I have no clue. It is just so good.

4. I hope not. I really want a continuation to event immediatley after The Last Command

5. Thrawn

6. Talon Karrde and his crew

7. Hopefully not

8. Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command

I want Thrawn to have another clone laying around someplace. :(

Other than that, I really like Pellaeon, even though he's not really a major character. If all the Empire was like him, then I think those punks from Tatooine should go fly into an asteriod. Even if they weren't though, Luke can still die. I wouldn't be too upset.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived