Home

The Empire Strikes Back

Guest DarthMaulUK

I still remember all the video interviews with the guy in charge of BFME. Name was Something Skaggs. He kept talking about the unit emotion things and the "alive" world and other stuff that, in the end, are either false or have a very small impact on the game. Do you honestly care if your swordsmen shake a little if they see a troll? Heck no. And their "living world map" was as static as a rock.

To be fully honest, I enjoyed the "alive" world. Sure, it's gimmicky, has no impact on gameplay, but is a nice and enjoyable addition. Granted, they played that card to death, making it sound better then it really was, but I'm the kind of person who enjoys these little things. They don't add much, but it's still nice.

Come to think of it, Dawn of War also had the army painter which is totally useless gameplay-wise. It's a gimmick that adds a bit of flavour to the game and I really enjoy it. The difference is that marketing department didn't put too much emphasis on this.

The world map in BFME, though quite static, is beautiful looking. I mean, it's Middle-Earth, as far as I know, continents don't move overnight :p

To be fully honest, I enjoyed the "alive" world. Sure, it's gimmicky, has no impact on gameplay, but is a nice and enjoyable addition. Granted, they played that card to death, making it sound better then it really was, but I'm the kind of person who enjoys these little things. They don't add much, but it's still nice.

Come to think of it, Dawn of War also had the army painter which is totally useless gameplay-wise. It's a gimmick that adds a bit of flavour to the game and I really enjoy it. The difference is that marketing department didn't put too much emphasis on this.

The world map in BFME, though quite static, is beautiful looking. I mean, it's Middle-Earth, as far as I know, continents don't move overnight :p

Well, it is in fact a big marketing scheme. Yes, it was nice to see birds flying over the place. And no, continents aren't supposed to move :) . But they talked so much about it that it really led the player to believe that stuff would be happening. Things like bandits or Uruk parties roaming the land, or weather effects and such.

But yeah, it was beautiful to look at.

Congrats to Petroglyph and Lucas Arts!!

However, isn't it a little early in the year to pick the best of the year? The big rush of new releases before Christmas hasn't even begun yet. (FoC among them)

This is for the best stratagy game since last gphoria. Which does include the '05 christmas rush in this one. Just like how FoC could qualify for next year although it came out in '06

Archived