Home

Character Meshes?

STARWARSKOTOR2

.2da files don't store the models for the game, they reference what model is who. what you want to say is "Convert the meshes to Aurora model format." Unfortunately, depending on where you got those meshes, that could be porting, which is against Kotor's EULA.

And even if we could, we can't make new body meshes yet anyway.

And last but not least, this would be better suited in Holowan labs.

i meant .mdl and .mdx! i got them from a sims 2 site, so it would'nt be porting! you would not be making a body mesh it would just be a re-model of a character like...i could use my model and put it instead of an alien of a person i never use!

how would i convert the files to .mdl and .mdx?

Use your common sense. If making new or adding in any other way body models was possible, people would have done that ages ago.

Actually it is possible. svosh made a new male body mesh and has irt working in game. He just hasnt released it as hes stilld oing stuff to it (I hope, it looked damn good)

i got them from a sims 2 site, so it would'nt be porting!

This is still porting, porting isnt just about moving it from K1 to K2 but also other games that exist. If the Sims 2 came with a EULA that says "you can use our models etc in other games without being sued etc" then there would be less problem. But seeing I doubt it doesn't it is still porting and thus illegal.

I know there is a Darth Maul skin and a Darth vader skin at pcgamemods so your best bet to have those two characters in your game is asking for them in the pcgamemods request sticky in this section of the forum.

Actually it is possible. svosh made a new male body mesh and has irt working in game. He just hasnt released it as hes still doing stuff to it (I hope, it looked damn good)

Oh yeah, I remember that one too. That was looking fantastic at his last update, I hope he's still working on it.

Like Jackel said, there's already Darth Maul and Darth Vader mods available for both games. You're better off just using those instead of attempting something which may be illegal.

Is that site scifi3d?

They allow using their models (with credits), but your game may die from 100000 polyes per little model, also there are to many models to attach to each other, so theoretically it is possible, but really what you want to do is impossible.

That was made for making new movies, I think, not for the games.

but if it is my game then surely i can do porting but im not allowed to post the stuff, its nothing to do with the EULA its my game so surely i can do what i want!

Whether it's for your own personal use or for distribution, legal or not, our forum rules make no difference: if the models are copyrighted, we don't want to hear about this here, period. We have to draw a line as to what kind of discussions we accept on the boards and this is where it has been drawn.

If the models are not copyrighted, then that's fine.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=151005

I have a question about modding...what is legal and what is illegal? I see posts mentioning the EULA alot when people ask this question, but when I actually read the EULA it basically says any modification to there software is illegal. So doesn't that make all Mods illegal?

The EULA reads:

The Software is licensed (not sold) to you. You may not: (1) copy, distribute, lease all or any portion of the software; (2) MODIFY or prepare derivative works of the software;

It does go on to say more but this was the stuff that mostly relates to my question....

If this is a stupid question I am sorry but I haven't been able to find the answer to this. If anyone can set my stupid brain at ease I'd appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

Alveron182:

Legal: We can modify: uti's (items) , utc's (characters) , utm's (merchants), tga files (skin files and walls etc), models (making Miras saddle bags smaller etc)

We can make: New models and relevent skins for them (Ultimate Saber mod, "A few guns by me!" by mono etc), new utc's, new uti's new utm's, new tga files.

We can recreate: uti's, utms and utc's from K1 in K2 and visa versa but not directly take them from K1 to K2 and visa versa. We can also recreate skins from K1 that aren't in K2 or modify skins from K1 to look like ones from K2 but cant move the skins from game to game. Technically you can move skins from one game to the other but we dont talk about that here as its porting.

Illegal: taking files from K1 or K2 and putting them in K2 or K1 respectively, this includes skins, uti's utm's and utc's. Models can not be moved between the games, (some models arent used in K2 but are still in the K2 model format so we can use those - star forge robes, the scout, soldier and scoundral outfits for instance). We can not also take items from other games (even if not a LucasArts game) without permission fromt he respective game companies or people who own them (if you got permission to place the Master Chief in to K1 from Bungie for instance you could do it, but Bungie won't allow it so you cant**).

** If you recreated from scratch (ie you made or someone that isn't a part of Bungie made a replica of) something from Halo for instance (the guns, grenades etc) and put them in to either game it should be fine aslong as you made sure you could prove you made them/ got permission from the person who made them if a mod here asks for it. Its still a bit iffy but if its all you own work (model, skins, uti's etc) then generally ther wont be a problem.

On the EULA

Im not really versed in this stuff but LucasArts could shut us down in a heartbeat if they wanted to. We kinda skirt under the rader a bit by not doing anything that would highly upset them (like porting or the SERIOUSLY BIG "NO NO" modifying the exe files).

Hope this helps!

Archived