Home

Name Problems- Need Help with a Name? Ask Here

igyman

I wasn't sure if there was already a thread dealing with these issues, so I thought I'd start one myself.

Here's what this thread is about:

If you have trouble thinking of a name for one of your characters/spaceships/new species/new planets, or anything else in your fics, this is the place to go to. Since naming things has never been a problem for me I'm offering help on that matter to anyone who might need it and I also encourage any other forumite to join in and help if he/she can. :)

(P.S. Just a suggestion, but maybe this one should get a sticky)

Made it a sticky so people can ask ;) --JM12

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I do to help me get names is I butcher a word. For example, I couldn't think of a name for a WoW character so I took the word 'rainbow' ended up with Arkensile. If you know a second language (or if english isn't your first one) just translate a word and move some letters around or something like that. I hope this helps. :)

Wow, this thread might actually work. Some pretty useful advices and links, thanks people and keep 'em coming. :thumbsup:

A small clarificatrion about the thread:

Even though this thread is also about posting advices on how to easily think of a name, my own approach is a little more direct - if anyone really has no ideas when it comes to names, he/she can ask for help here, maybe provide a small info about the thing he/she needs named and I'll personally (and I hope other forumites will too) put my little gray cells to work and make up a few names for it, then I'll post them here and all that's left is for the person that needed help to choose one of them. :)

OK, I'll sticky it. I've also considered merging it with the Expert Forum thread, since people ask for help there. We can't have 85 million stickied threads :) but I think this topic will work in the sticky category.

As promised, random name generators, courtesy "What do you do for...Naming" thread over at KFM:

Star Wars Galaxies Random Name Generator--you pick M/F, race, etc. and it'll generate names for you.

Behind the Name Random Name Generator--has lots of different languages, too.

Seventh Sanctum Name Generators--plenty of different fiction names--you can choose by genre as well.

The Star Wars Random Name Generator--name says it all. It'll generate male, female, and gender neutral names.

Happy naming, folks!

I've asked for help with this in my fic before. Most of the time I've already got a some names that I like. For naming some of the minor soldiers in my fic, I'm using a Mandalorian language site. I'll see if I can edit it in.

EDIT: Here's an okay site: http://home.sol.se/Mandalore/generalinfo/library/language.htm

For example, I could name someone Trac, which means night sky. That's pretty cool.

Here's two more:

Kand- Noble

Pudii- Shadow

I know how bad it can be sometimes. When I created my character for KOTOR I stuck with a part of what is real, and a part of George Lucas' world. So she became Danika Wordweaver.

However when she became Revan, I began creating part of Echani society, including naming conventions so Revan Chandar Bai Echani traslates as 'Revan of clan Chandar, of the planet Echana'.

For those reading the Return from Exile, The Handmaiden will take the name of Sokila (Redeemed) Devos bai Devos or The Redeemed of clan Devos of Her teacher Marai . She in otherwords foreswears her planet and clan to survive in her mind the ignomy of failing Atris and her sisters when Atris falls.

where exactly did you get the meanings for echani words?

There is no dictionary of Echani, RC. When in doubt, make it up.

Mach, do you know that the Handmaiden has a in K2?

Brianna

Are you sure? If so I have to thank you for the information.

mach, please refrain from double posting. Thanks. In your own fic threads it is allowable though.

I think I may be able to help you, as I did this myself initially when responding to multiple posters. What I do to reply to multiple posters posts is right-click on the 'quote/reply to this' link and open each of them in seperate tabs or windows and then use the copy and paste functions to combine them all into one post. I hope this helps. ;) -RH

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, a job for me, OK, here it goes.

Twi'Lek names:

Shaleena

Siil'ya

Kalya

Dianna

Vareene

Uulam

Gaanima

Raylene

Jel'nya

Ylomma

Selkath names:

Gossa

Lunka

Daalsar

Viileshak

Qulo

Klonsa

Halkesh

Sileesha

Grilkar

Baklos

and some Selkath last names if you need them:

Kwaas

Vosh

Chotis

Dolkas

Frakhesh

That's all I could think of for now. Pick any name you like and if none of them suits you, then I'll try to think of some other way I can help you. :)

(Oh, and inform us here what you chose)

Archived