Home

Name Problems- Need Help with a Name? Ask Here

igyman

This seemed the most appropriate place, so i'll explain why I need help.

I've been designing a Star Wars D20 campaign recently, set just after the Mandalorian Wars (so a few months before Revan returns as the Dark Lord of the Sith), so I need a good villain. The players are mostly Jedi, and all of them served in the war. They were separated from the fleet before it fell to the dark side, so they didn't fall.

The main villain that I have so far is a Sith Lord, one sent by Revan and Malak to begin recruiting troops, and spreading discord throughout the galaxy before they return. There aren't any problems that I can see with having another Darth alongside Revan and Malak, as the rule of two isn't in effect for another 3000 years, but I'm having trouble actually coming up with a decent sounding name.

I've translated a few words into other languages, to come up with one, and the best i've come up with so far is Darth Venin, meaning 'Poison' in Finnish, I think.

But something doesn't seem right with it - It's a good name, but I'm not really feeling anything from it.

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Sith are uncommonly fond of corrupting perfectly good English words;) Take Sidious for example. Others tend to be pretty straightforward, e.g. Maul and Bane. Another angle seems to be Latin inspired, e.g. Nihilus.

Try digging out some dead languages (Greek? Latin?) and finding words in that. People seem more intimidated by ancient evils, after all:p

Indeed....most Darth titles are based around an evil sounding English or Latin word. Darth Insidious, Darth Invader, Darth Malak (Malak meaning jaw), Darth Maul (Maul is a blunt weapon, seems fitting) to name a few.

Or, if you really can't come up with anything, consider a 'normal' name. There is some dispute about when the first time the title surfaced in the expanded universe, since Revan seems to be the first. And since your setting takes place before he claims/get's the title... :)

EDIT: Swithing some letters in Norse mythology names works for me as well...

If you are looking for a good name, look at other languages as people have said or use conglomerations or bastardized versions of existing words. In my fics the word sangtahut means blood traitor with the root being sang which is Latin for blood. Others have suggested looking at mythology. That works as well since in every culture there is the presence of evil or an evil being but just given a different name. Try Native American folklore as they have interesting names for different things.

Well, i've been playing around with an English - Latin translator, and i've come up with some interesting ones, both by mixing words, and leaving them alone:

Darth Atrum (latin meaning dark)

Darth Proditor (meaning traitor)

Darth Venquis (mixing up the words of he who betrays)

Darth Ranimus (mix of soul stealer)

Darth Decitus (deceiver of worlds)

Or, for some in universe words:

Darth Kote (Mando'a for might)

Darth A'den (Mando'a for Rage or Wrath) or Adenn, meaning merciless

Darth Teroch (Mando'a for pitiless)

I'm really liking all of these, they're more natural, and 'evil' if that makes any sense. In each i've tried to sum up his purpose, the role that Revan has tasked him with.

He's basically the advance guard, who stayed in the Galaxy when the rest of Revans fleet disappeared - tasked with converting Jedi, bringing worlds to their knees, and making it easier for Revan when he does return. He's the main villain in the 'trilogy' I have planned, so his name is paramount.

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys, they've really helped. :)

EDIT: Added some names using Mandalorian words - some of which are really great.

Sure you can! I don't mind people taking or borrowing these names, especially after the trouble that i've had trying to come up with some.

Anyway, I've (almost) settled on a name. I've got it down to three choices:

Darth Venquis, Darth A'den and Darth Teroch

I'm swaying towards Teroch at the moment, and may use A'den for his apprentice.

• 2 weeks later...

They're all some really great suggestions, but I finally settled on one of my Mandalorian names - Teroch. I like it because it is very similar in both spelling and saying to 'terror' - which is escatly what a Sith Lord should inspire in his foes.

Thanks for all your help guys, and feel free to pinch any if you like 'em :)

• 3 months later...
First I planned on using Darth Audax for my fic, but then i realised that I already had a Sith name. I think I'm going to name my main characters vessel that instead.

hah! funny in my stalled fic i've been trying to write I felt The Iniquity was a much better name for a ship than a Darth.

You can sometimes even take an obscure word used in the English language, and use it - if the meaning is acceptable. For example, a few years ago, long before TSL came around, I had written a villain named Darth Scion (note the spelling difference), meaning heir. It fit the character, and sounded cool. Then TSL came out, and I looked unoriginal. -_-

• 2 months later...

Latin works really well, especially if their meaning is dark. But, technically, anyword that feels dark or mysterious works. You could also make up just a random word or name. For instance on Latin: example: Darth Nemo. "Nemo" meaning nobody or no man. Or, Darth Teriscar, for a random name. Or {God Forbid}, Darth Bob, which is by all means ridiculous unless you're writing a comedy.

Ok, so I'm righting a new story, and the main characters name is Clera. How, I need a good name for her master, and after thirty hard minutes of thinking, I got nothing. I cant continue without a name, please help.

The requirements are:

• Needs to be a Female.

• No weird Twilek type name. (Ayala, Janoon, etc.)

• Needs to be peaceful, but still have an, 'authority type' ring to it.

Thanks

I find that this is an excellent place to get names from.

Sometimes, though, I'll use Google Translate to take a simple English word that suits the character and translate it into either an obscure language or a dead one, such as Latin. For example, in my latest RP, Scion of Darkness, I used the word Teacher and translated it into Latin - giving me Erus. I adapted it a little to make it sounds more like a name, and came out with Erussa.

Well, trying to fit your description, this could be difficult.

hmmmmmmmmm.............

Ahh, I think I might have couple names for an authorative but peaceful female Jedi\Sith Master.

I'm not sure you'll take this one because it might sound Twi-lekki so maybe not this one.

Casra, that is the first name for now. But wether or not it works is up to you.

Or Seva, that's an idea, so far I keep thinking random stuff. Well that's all for now.

Archived