Home

*How did Vader get his name?*

*bAsTiLaJeEdAi*

I don't tink it has anything to do with Dutch. I would like it if he was really called after a Dutch word (I'm Dutch :D ) but it doesn't make any sense... why would George Lucas read the dictionary of one of the smallest countrys in the world with a Prime-Minister of which George Bush can't even remember his name (Jan Peter Balkenende)? It's more like (In)vader, attacker, leader of the invasion...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About the scene where his is named Darth Vader, everything leading up to that was great, BUT, Anakin was way too submissive, he was just "What have I done?" "I pledge myself to your teachings" and that was it!

There shoulda been a fight between the two or something, Sidious shoulda had a round against Anakin to break his will....

Forget about al lthe Padme nonsense! No idiot would jsut bow down to a sworn and untrusted enemy to save your girlfriend from a scanty vision.

he was "submissive" because he know no that he could not go back to the light side because he has killed a jedi master and if he did he would be exiled from the council.hope this anwsers your question.

any why back to the subject i agree with Samurai DD and darth 54 said.

I've heard about a babylonian word (think its babilonian, or sumerian, or somewhere else on the old Middle-East) that, renslated, sounds exactly like Darth Vader.

The actual meaning of that word is: "The rule of the Sword". An entire era where the wars, the warfare, was woth more than actual people.

• 4 weeks later...

There are plenty of explanations for the etymology of Vader and most character's names, but the question, I think, is how did Palpatine come up with it.

We don't know, but I would guess that he just chose it. Obviously not from the Dutch origin. Just something cool and intimidating, reminiscent of evil. He probably thought of it before hand.

How do you name a child? You just come up with a good name. This was the same, except instead of a baby, he was a Sith. :p

• 5 months later...

Now how did the Sith Spirits come up with the name? I guess they are probably getting it from one of those "baby names" website from goggle.

There are plenty of explanations for the etymology of Vader and most character's names, but the question, I think, is how did Palpatine come up with it.

How do you name a child? You just come up with a good name. This was the same, except instead of a baby, he was a Sith. :p

Well, there is no "Book of Baby Sith Names" found on Amazon.com. So it must be hard naming your lil' Sith.

Well, actually rather than coming up with a nice sounding name, it does help to check on words with similar meaning, ESPECIALLY words that sound similar in the language. You ton'w want your kid to be made fun of fore the rest of his life. Cause you know, it is REQUIRED for everyone to make fun of a stupid name.

I think the thread is about how Palpatine made up the name "Vader" and not how Lucas made up the name "Vader"! It was probably the name of some ancient Sith or meant something in the ancient Sith language, methinks. The way he says it, "Darth... Vader." indicates that he was looking for something in his memory, a name he had in his mind.

Well I don't know the official reason for how Palpatine came up with it (if there is one) but I know in, I believe, Dutch, Vader means father. So that's how they got the name.

thats true. my guess is because he has no father. although some belive darth plaguies ''created'' him by manipulating midi-chlorians.....damn paradox....Plagueies makes Anikin, Sidious kills Plagueies, Anikin becomes Sidious' apprentice...damn

• 1 month later...
But the solution for the "in universe" reason is what Darth54 and me already posted! Sith spirits chose the name, and told Sidious through the Force.

Exactly... don't you remember that Sidious had a really deep voice when he told Ani that his new name was Vader... Sidious got this from the dark side of the force, he DIDN'T think of the name, the dark side of the force did.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
This is like asking how America became America...

Or how Britain became Britain...

Just sounds cool!

:D

Britain is named for the tribes(Britons)at the time of the Romans

America was named for the explorer who originaly thought America was not Asia (Amerigo Vespucci). A map maker who believed Amerigo was so impressed, he wrote the name on his map.

• 1 month later...
Well I don't know the official reason for how Palpatine came up with it (if there is one) but I know in, I believe, Dutch, Vader means father. So that's how they got the name.

That is absolutly correct.

I'm dutch, but it certainly doesnt have to do anything with his name.

Not one dutchy worked on the starwars series so it would be weird if it has anything to do with that. (unfortunatly)

But I think that the emperor just thought a moment and then quickly concluded that he wants him to be named as vader.

So he doesn't really takes a while to think about it.

But i must admit i dit relate his name with the dutch word vader. I was 8 years old but it maked sense for me back then that they had it the whole time about darth vader, that actually was the father of luke.

Is vader a word with a certain meaning in english???

So, Darth Vader could be translated as "Black Daddy" ??

Hehe yes indeed

I don't tink it has anything to do with Dutch. I would like it if he was really called after a Dutch word (I'm Dutch :D ) but it doesn't make any sense... why would George Lucas read the dictionary of one of the smallest countrys in the world with a Prime-Minister of which George Bush can't even remember his name (Jan Peter Balkenende)? It's more like (In)vader, attacker, leader of the invasion...

I was thinking of my earlier post, Lucas is a backname in dutch!!!

Maybe his ancesters where dutch, maybe he related the fact that darth vader was the father of luke (don't forget that the movies need to be correct against the original trilogy)

Maybe it thought 'vader' sounded good in English

It comes from Gary Vader, a jock who may have picked on the young Lucas in high school.

Don't believe me?

http://www.secrethistoryofstarwars.com (in the pdf book, page 468)

The "Dark Father" thing is just a coincidence, as the character was not turned into anyone's daddy until he began Empire Strikes Back. Originally it was just the name of various characters, not a "Sith Title" (as it became when he was writing Episode I, nearly 20 years later).

In-universe, how did Palpatine come up with the name? Your guess is as good as mine! I don't believe there is an official explanation...

Good find on the Gary Vader Kurgan!

Agreed, people think that every detail, character, name etc has been fleshed out since 77'. Hell, Darth Vader (David Prowse) didn't know he was Luke's father till opening night lol!

My guess is that in-universe he was named Vader by Palpatine in reference to a Sith word or name, although it could be a play on 'Invader'.

It comes from Gary Vader, a jock who may have picked on the young Lucas in high school.

Don't believe me?

http://www.secrethistoryofstarwars.com (in the pdf book, page 468)

The "Dark Father" thing is just a coincidence, as the character was not turned into anyone's daddy until he began Empire Strikes Back. Originally it was just the name of various characters, not a "Sith Title" (as it became when he was writing Episode I, nearly 20 years later).

In-universe, how did Palpatine come up with the name? Your guess is as good as mine! I don't believe there is an official explanation...

Wow... I never knew that...

It's very interesting to see where people get their ideas for certain aspects of their stories. It also kind of gives you that creative power. It would make sense for Lucas to write his main villain after someone who bullied him. After all, many writers create their worlds based mildly off events that have happened in their own lives.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived