Home

Why did Trask Ulgo do it? (spoilers)

mimartin

I just played through the Endar Spire and Taris section of KOTOR again in order to see a mod that starts on Dantooine. I actually took the time and listen to every conversation since I hadn’t played KOTOR in a while. It started me wondering why Trask Ulgo sacrificed himself in order delay Darth Bandon and save some lowly recruit. Is it possible that he knew the PC true identity? After all Carth tells you that Bastila requested your assignment to the Endar Spire and Trask’s was your roommate. Is it possible that either he served with the PC in the Mandalorian Wars or that Bastila filled him in to keep an eye on the PC? The Jedi were worried about the PC’s memory coming back, wouldn’t they want to keep an eye on him/her and the roommate would be a logical choice. He could watch the PC without raising the same suspicion a Jedi would. Then again may be Trask was just a hell of a nice guy. Any thoughts?

I just played through the Endar Spire and Taris section of KOTOR again in order to see a mod that starts on Dantooine. I actually took the time a listen to every conversation since I hadn’t played KOTOR in a while. It started me wondering why Trask Ulgo sacrificed himself to delay Darth Bandon to save some lowly recruit. Is it possible that he knew the PC true identity? After all Carth tells you that Bastila requested your assignment to the Endar Spire and Trask’s was your roommate. Is it possible that either he served with the PC in the Mandalorian Wars or that Bastila filled him in to keep an eye on the PC? The Jedi were worried about the PC’s memory coming back, wouldn’t they want to keep an eye on him/her and the roommate would be a logical choice. He could watch the PC without raising the same suspicion a Jedi would. Then again may be Trask was just a hell of a nice guy. Any thoughts?

Interesting Thread. I think that he knew about your true identity. Bastila would've told him and also Trask is a nice guy for sacrificing his life for you.

I like to think that Trask was a rank-and-file solder and all he was told was that he had a new bunkmate that he needed to look out for. IMO he felt the aura of destiny around Revan and that combined with his loyalty and devotion to the Republic (how many times did the guy sound his battle cry, "For the Republic!" during his short time in the game? :p) made him decide to face Darth Bandon alone and give Revan the opportunity to live on. Sometimes it's the little people that give the not-yet-mighty ones the opportunity to live up to their potential.

Did Trask know? How about, how COULDN'T anyone know? Seems that if some high profile character (Revan) commands a fleet that wins a major conflict, it will be difficult to hide his/her identity. Afterall, how does Calo Nord recognize Revan enough to be able to finger him/her to Malak?!? There is no mention of Jedi changing Rev's appearence, just memories.

Surely he knew, as Revan was a famous guy out there, but I think Bioware wanted Carth as the "tough soldier", and Trask just didn´t fit the plan. After all Carth works as a loyal companion for the PC, maybe with Trask there would be too many soldiers around you early in the game.

Anyone considered the facts?

He runs into your bedroom, gets you geared up. Then he and the PC fight through hordes of Sith soldiers, looking after eachother.

I think it's just the 'soldiers-comrades' thingy, strenghtend by them fighting at each others side.

Plus the fact...he's higher in rank then you are, aye? So he has the responsability over you.

But then again...killing Bandon in his name rocks! :D

Anyone considered the facts?

He runs into your bedroom, gets you geared up. Then he and the PC fight through hordes of Sith soldiers, looking after each other.

I think it's just the 'soldiers-comrades' thingy, strengthened by them fighting at each others side.

Plus the fact...he's higher in rank then you are, aye? So he has the responsibility over you.

But then again...killing Bandon in his name rocks! :D

I did consider this and it is the most logical explanation (other than just saying it is that way because BioWare wrote it that way). My only problem with this is Trask makes it very clear that their only duty is to find Bastila and help her. Wouldn’t a seasoned, higher ranking solider be of more help than a lowly raw recruit?

Did Trask know? How about, how COULDN'T anyone know? Seems that if some high profile character (Revan) commands a fleet that wins a major conflict, it will be difficult to hide his/her identity. Afterall, how does Calo Nord recognize Revan enough to be able to finger him/her to Malak?!? There is no mention of Jedi changing Rev's appearence, just memories.

It always bothered me that Carth did not recognize Revan and Calo Nord did. I mean Jolee’s been a hermit on Kashyyyk for ages and he recognizes him/her. It also seems weird that Juhani did not recognize Raven, when she goes on and on how the Jedi fighting the Mandalorians had been such an inspiration to her on Taris.

He did just because he was a swell guy...

That goes without saying.

Thanks you everyone for giving your options.

It always bothered me that Carth did not recognize Raven and Calo Nord did. I mean Jolee’s been a hermit on Kashyyyk for ages and he recognizes him/her. It also seems weird that Juhani did not recognize Raven, when she goes on and on how the Jedi fighting the Mandalorians had been such an inspiration to her on Taris.

Well...there is a simple explaination for all of this, of course. Jolee had been stuck on Khashyyk for 20 years. In that time, he has aproxamitly seen 2 humans down there. Revan and Malak, going for the map the first time. Judging by his '152 attempts he knew all to well it was a dark-side artifact. And what do we know about Carth? We do know that Revan's generals were jedi themselves. I guess Carth was frontline guy whilst Revan was more of a 'behind the scenes' guy, imo. And for Juhani...whilst playing LS Male, she was talking about a female jedi inspiring her. I don't know much about Juhani though...

But then again...

You could be right and the game is just a bit 'strange' in matters of plotholes. Such as Trask's case.

I did consider this and it is the most logical explanation (other than just saying it is that way because BioWare wrote it that way). My only problem with this is Trask makes it very clear that their only duty is to find Bastila and help her. Wouldn’t a seasoned, higher ranking solider be of more help than a lowly raw recruit?

I like Ztalker's explanation. It sounds the most logical.

It is true that Trask is the more experienced of the two. He could indeed send the recruit to his death and go help Bastilla himself. I found three explanations for this:

- Trask praises your skills when you first meet him. It is possible that he does not consider you the weakest element in the duo. From fighting alongside him, he might even realize that you're better then him. He sacrifices himself to save the better soldier.

- Trask trusts his skills and believes he can fight off a Sith while you can't. Unlikely, but possible explanation. Trask then expects to survive the fight.

- Trask can't send the PC to fight Bandon because that's game over from the start.

I had another thing on my mind and that was Trask being in love with you. You work opposite shifts, but he sees you sleep. You look so beautiful he can't resist. He tries to impress you by facing Bandon or does a knight-in-shining-armor act. He seems to be the kind of guy to die for his love one!

I find it interesting how popular Trask really is. He's just there for tutorial purposes and he's strangely loved by the fans.

I must say this is an interesting topic. I have thought about this deeply before at one point (I'd say like 2 to 3 years ago).

My take on it is that Trask DIDN'T KNOW that your PC is Revan. I do believe that Bastila told Trask that the "new recruit" was very important. Since Trask is very good about following orders, he knew that he needed to sacrifice his life for Revan because of Bastila explain that this recruit is very important, even though he didn't know it was him/her.

It is true that Trask is the more experienced of the two. He could indeed send the recruit to his death and go help Bastilla himself. I found three explanations for this:

(...snip...)

Or he just has a "Han Solo Moment" like when Han chases after a whole squad of stormtroopers on the Death Star in SW4:ANH. Just a hunch of the moment in a tight spot without really thinking through what he's doing. :)

I find it interesting how popular Trask really is. He's just there for tutorial purposes and he's strangely loved by the fans.

Well, he's the only character in the game who tells you to click the left mouse button. None of this beating around the bush, Trask really tells you what to do to get things done. :D

(That, or him needlessly trying to save the protagonists life counts for something. If he has just waited a few seconds the door would have been jammed, sealing Bandon on the other side alone instead.)

Same thing happend with Jiub in Morrowind :D

That's Saint Jiub, the one who finally drove the cliff racers from Vvardenfell. Seeing how universally loved cliff racers are, how can you not like that Dunmer? ;)

In that time, he has approximately seen 2 humans down there. Revan and Malak, going for the map the first time. Judging by his '152 attempts he knew all to well it was a dark-side artifact.

Did not think of that being how Jolee knew Revan. It makes sense. I had thought Revan and Malak visited Kashyyyk in secret and if Jolee happen to of seen them he’d of asked for a ride off the planet of walking carpets. I guess you just don’t walk up to a Sith Lord an ask for a favor.

It also bothered me why the Council would send Juhani on the mission and not tell her in secret who this newest member of the order really was. I think I can come to grips with that by deciding they did not fully trust her.

Agreed.

I had another thing on my mind and that was Trask being in love with you. You work opposite shifts, but he sees you sleep. You look so beautiful he can't resist. He tries to impress you by facing Bandon or does a knight-in-shining-armor act. He seems to be the kind of guy to die for his love one!

Good point as he knows a lot about the PC and the PC knows nothing about him. Never would of thought of that, but it is possible with a male/female PC.

Well, he's the only character in the game who tells you to click the left mouse button. None of this beating around the bush, Trask really tells you what to do to get things done. :D

That was great! Your right he was a bit of a control freak. He tells you to use him, to use a med pack, and when to change weapons. He wasn’t trying to save you, he was just telling you what to do.

Again thanks to everyone for sharing your insights. I found it both thought provoking and humors.

I think you are all asking the wrong questions. The real questions are

1. How many people other then the Jedi Masters and Bastila knew that the pc was Revan?

and

2. How many people actually seen Revan with the mask off?

if you remember all of the cutscenes up until his relevation showed him with the mask on including the one with him/her and Malak.

It always bothered me that Carth did not recognize Raven and Calo Nord did. I mean Jolee’s been a hermit on Kashyyyk for ages and he recognizes him/her. It also seems weird that Juhani did not recognize Raven, when she goes on and on how the Jedi fighting the Mandalorians had been such an inspiration to her on Taris.

But did Calo Nord reconize him? I mean, I figured it was a BAstila thing, but when he discribe Bastila's partners to Saul Saul instantly reconized the one as Revan?

Some more interesting talk to throw into the mix. If you remember visiting Zax and speaking to him about the assassain Selven, he tells you how she killed off the Ulgo familiy. And it just so happens Trask's last name is Ulgo. And somehow we managed to fly right over the planet where perhaps his potential familiy had been killed off.

So maybe Trask did it because he might have wanted to 'join' his family in a way that he could die with honor. Or perhaps he didn't want to be on Taris simply because that assassain might have targeted him. I'm just throwing this one out there, as it seems that Trask could potentially be linked with the Ulgo family of Taris.

2. How many people actually seen Revan with the mask off?

Before or after he/she went darkside? Seems unlikely that a republic of thousands of worlds wouldn't have photo/holo journalists that wouldn't have given their left___ to get a picture of the hero of the hour and disseminate it everywhere. So, I guess it begs a whole new question: did the jedi change more than just memories? Maybe just enough to make someone do a mental 2x take and then just dismiss it as a somewhat eerie resemblance to someone believed dead.

Possiblility of Saul somehow making the connection that PC is actually Revan seems a bit dicey, since Revan is believed dead. Mind you, I DON'T say impossible. Seems unlikely that Nord, being infamous himself, wouldn't recognize Revan if Revan's appearance was previously known, especially given his line of work.

Seems to me that speculation about Revan being a behind the scenes figure is off. Even Canderous speaks of Revan personally slaying Mandalore himself. But the game does have it's share of plot holes. But the point about Juhani's lapse is well taken. You don't tend to forget the face of someone who plays such an important part in your life. The only possible explanation is that she believes Revan to in fact be dead.

Possiblility of Saul somehow making the connection that PC is actually Revan seems a bit dicey, since Revan is believed dead. Mind you, I DON'T say impossible. Seems unlikely that Nord, being infamous himself, wouldn't recognize Revan if Revan's appearance was previously known, especially given his line of work.

You forget something...

Like Carth states, Saul has always been a high-ranked guy. Even in the days of Revan. I guess they have occsinally met eachother. And since he only got the DS powers and clothing/look at the END of the Mandalorian wars, he was still LS/Neutral by face at that moment. The fact that Carth doesn't recognise you can be explained by the simple fact that Carth says he was with the '....force' at some time, and saw his wife dying in his arms, meaning he was a frontline soldier at the time.

Same goes for Candarous. He saw Revan kill Mandalore. After which he became Darth Revan and died. I'd believe it...he knew of Revan AND Darth Revan.

For Juhani...

I never tried to follow her story, but to my LS male character, she stated that a FEMALE Jedi was her inspiration somehow.

Archived