Home

What's your name mean?

Dagobahn Eagle

Now, how's that for a creative thread?

Øyvind: "They boy's name is a variant of Eivind, which is derived from the Norse name Eyvindr, where "ey" can come from the word "øy" which means "happiness/luck", and "vindr", which means "warrior"." --Norskenavn.no.

"Happy warrior". Cozy name, ehm:)? I thought it meant "Island-wind", because "øy" today means "island" and "vind" today means "wind", but no such luck. Oh well, "happy warrior" isn't that bad either:p!

Your turn! Look up baby names on Google and post the meaning of your (real) first names!

Alf:

Derived from Old Norse alfr "elf". In Norse legend this was the name of king, the suitor of a reluctant maiden named Alfhild. She avoided marrying him by disguising herself as a warrior, but when they fought she was so impressed by his strength that she changed her mind.

wtf...? :D

Alf also means peace. Apparently it's derived from Alfred, it's meaning is "elf" or "supernatural counsel".

First Name - Hunter = He who hunts (duh)

Origin - From an occupational surname meaning "hunter" in Old English...umm my name is boring but still freakin' sweet[/peter]

Last Name - Greene = color?

Yes my name is Hunter Greene and yes it is a color and no I wasn't named after the crayon I was born before the color was well know. No i dont have any relatives named For®est

Jonathan: A gift of the Lord (Or god has given, if you go for a more literal translation of the original hebrew)

*runs off to kill parents*

I'm a gift, too!

My parents nearly named me Andrew, which means brave or something. Blah, stupid parents. Now I'm just a cheap commodity which will probably be regifted at some point. :indif:

BENJAMIN

Usage: English, French, German, Biblical

Pronounced: BEN-ja-min (English), ben-zha-MEN (French)

From the Hebrew name בִנְיָמִין (Binyamin) which means "son of the south" (holy crap, I'm a COMMUNIST!!!!! :p ) or "son of the right hand" (A CHRISTIAN COMMUNIST!!!!! Is that even possible???) . Benjamin in the Old Testament was the twelfth and youngest son of Jacob and the founder of one of the southern tribes of the Hebrews. This name was also borne by Benjamin Franklin, an American statesman, inventor, scientist and philosopher.

PATRICK

Usage: Irish, English, French, German

Pronounced: PAT-rik (English), pat-REEK (French) [key]

From the Roman name Patricius, which meant "nobleman" in Latin. A 5th-century saint, the patron saint of Ireland, adopted this name (his birth name was Sucat). During his youth he was captured by Irish raiders and enslaved, but after six years of servitude he escaped to his home in Britain. Eventually he became a bishop and went back to Ireland as a missionary, where he succeeded in Christianizing the entire country.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I knew I was evil!

Karim is of Arabic origin كريم (generous, noble) from the root ك ر م (to be generous, to honor, to praise).

The name John derives through Jewish and Christian tradition ultimately from the Biblical Hebrew name יוחנן Yôḥānān, short for יהוחנן Yəhôḥānān, meaning "Yahweh is merciful."

Woo. Go me.

brother's long post

Well since we're doing middle names now

ETHAN

Usage: Jewish, English, Biblical

Other Scripts: אֵיתָן (Hebrew)

Pronounced: EE-than [key]

Means "solid, enduring" in Hebrew. This is the name of a wise man in the Old Testament.

SCOTT

Usage: English, Scottish

Pronounced: SKAHT [key]

From a surname which meant "Scotsman" in Old English. The original meaning of the word Scot is debated, but it may mean "tattoo", so given because Scotsmen often had tattoos.

Archived