Home

Talon Karrde's Lair (SIEGE, FFA, CTF)

monsoontide

Well, finally starting to get somewhere with the changes... gonna take a while b4 I get some new screenshots up though as it looks like a dog's breakfast at the moment!

Took some time to draw up a proper map of the lcoation on graphing paper to try and work of how things line up a bit better.

Have shortened the whole "beach" and beachfront area considerably.

Working on getting some decent terrain in there, but I find it hard to make custom terrain to match what I've already built.

Move most of the buildings around and rebuilt some of those little ones with the radar thingies on top of them to match the scale a bit better.

(Originally I made the central tower waaaaaaaaaaaay bigger, then found it was out of proprtion and scaled it, but I didn't do any of the other buildings, so they've just about all got to be redone t some degree.

Did a few more wall textures to just to make things a little less repititive.

Added the second (non-enterable) tower and the landing field.

All just very rough at the moment, trying to get sizing and positoning correct.

Taking a bit of artistic license to try and add more VIS blockers.

Going to really need the help of someone familiar with Hint Brushes and map optimization. Do you happen to know anyone like that who may be able to help?

Guess I'll have to spend some more time in Easygen. Sigh.

(It doesn't make good cliffs)

Still working on the new landscape...

Its a real time eater....

These are fullbright images as its not yet compiling properly... and all taken from the same place on a crest separating the main compound from the trail to the landing field. (And no... you won't be able to get up here when I'm done!)

Also cos I've moved a bunch of stuff around and cut out sections of the terrain, the alpha map (That sorts out where the textures go and how they blend) is no longer accurate - will have to make a new one soon.

Anyways, you should be able to see some of the NEW parts... the 2nd tower (non enterable), the new curving power lines, a bit of the new beach, the landing field, etc.

Takes forever to make these things look good, then forever more to make them "work" in the game.

Heck, might even have to redo the landscape from scratch again if this doesn;t work!!! :(

(Oh! The "missing" terrain sections have actually been rebuilt but I haven't properly set them up as part of the terrain entity, hence they don't show up and you can see how much I've been moving this stuff around to "fit" into what I'd already done!

btw, if you're curious, a friend of mine is kindly hosting my old 2002 website (gallery) until I finish my new one. Still haven't fixed all the links on the game dev page, but it was just pix from some of the old maps I've worked on.

Monsoontide Gallery

shot0103gk6.th.jpg

shot0106xz2.th.jpg

shot0104bo7.th.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now that things are quieting down for the end of the year, I finally have time to work on this some more. Have a few compiling errors so am just trying to sort it all out...Things are going well... so far.

Haven't yet put the tree models or skybox back in, or a lot of the details.

Also haven't set the ambient light level or finalized the lighting... hence the VERY black shadows...

View from structure where Karrde smoke at night while contemplating the future...

landscape01pl1.th.jpg

New curving pipe "path" leading to storage shed.

landscape02zy3.th.jpg

View from landing area toward storage shed...

landscape03dx6.th.jpg

Showing relationship of 2nd tower, 1st tower, storage shed and path to landing field.

landscape04zl3.th.jpg

Looking from storage shed past 2nd tower to landing field.

landscape05kl7.th.jpg

View from 1st tower towards 2nd tower...

landscape06pk9.th.jpg

More pix as things progress...

Guess this should be over in the modeling thread, but since it's for my map, it's over in this thread.

Here's the Skipray Blastboat map model I've been working on for the map...

Model is done... but I've only just started the textures.. hence they're just black lines at the moment... haven't even started the turret textures.

Actually... if anyone could help me out by finishing the textures, that would be a huge help, as I really need to be spending my time finishing the map!

skiprayrenderfe1.th.jpg

It will just be a static model (that you can blow up! - ala Z-95 in beta map release)

• 7 months later...

Archived