Home

Missing Soundtracks (+ request for sound ripping help)

SyntheticGerbil

Thanks Alien.

As far as McConnell, besides the adventure games and what you guys already said, I have him down for the Afterlife soundtrack, Dark Forces II, Bard's Tale, Force Commander, and Bombad Racing. The Star Wars games he scored are kind of hazy on how much he actually did (whether composing or just sound design). And he only did the soundtracks for Sly 2 and 3.

And Michael Land I'm missing Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe and Herc's Adventure. Secret Weapons might be able to be ripped, but I think someone would have to do Herc's Adventure for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah, months later I'm borrowing a copy of Afterlife and I notice it doesn't work. I bought a few Sly Cooper games and I think it they may not be too hard if I can just find a site with the working application.

I did get a few ISOs out there for the purpose of ripping music. I'll see if I can figure it out.

Anyone have a site with instructions from ripping music from Dark Forces 2, Bombad Racing, and Force Commander?

Also is it possible to rip from Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe?

I have a solution, its knocked together quickly and it isnt pretty, but it works.

I've only tested this with the demo, but I'm assuming it'll be ok with the full game.

1) Download Afterlife Explorer - an app I've just made quickly.

2) Download my Resource file creator/dumper tool.

3) Load Afterlife Explorer

4) Open the .000 file

5) Click 'dump all'

6) Open the folder in which you dumped the files

7) All the audio files will be prefixed with 'SOUND - ' drag all these sound files into a new folder.

8) Load resource file creator/dumper

9) Drag the folder with the sounds in into the right hand window

10) Click compile and choose to create a lab file

11) Open the lab file in SCUMM Revisited 2 - you can now play/convert the speech and music.

Essentially what this is doing is dumping the sound files and then putting them into a new container file that ScummRev will recognise. The sound files are in creative labs voice file format - ScummRev can decode these files.

Hey, that worked! Thanks a bunch, you really know your stuff.

You should put that program you made somewhere so others can use it, just in case they care about Peter McConnell's Score on Afterlife. Maybe LucasHacks? The music is a lot better than I rememberedon this game.

Only one thing though, when I originally used your .exe it didn't put the "sound" prefix. But I just went ahead and looked through all of the files anyways.

Thanks again.

P.S. Any clue on whether or not you could make Scumm Revisited read Secret Weapons from the Luftwaffe?

I'm glad (and slightly surprised) that it worked. It was put together in 10 minutes and not really tested.

The reason the 'MUSIC' bit on filenames didnt appear, was because it was looking for creative VOC blocks, rather than imuse which the full game uses (as Murray said). There arent any filenames unfortunately, just the ID numbers, so theres no way of knowing what the real names would be without guessing. I might update and release the program at some point and add in support for ripping the audio etc.

I dont have SWOL installed anymore so I cant look at the sound files, but I'm pretty sure that the file formats wont be readable by SCUMM Rev. It was developed by an outside developer, not LEC themselves, so it'll use whatever format they normally use.

• 2 weeks later...
With the exception of Psychonauts, I don't know what Michael Land or Peter McConnell have composed outside of LucasArts. Last I heard they were working together on an Internet utility site - anyone remember what that was?

yep.. its called sparkpoint and its an online media remixing and sharing kinda utility .. very nice

http://www.sparkpoint.com

and Peter McConnell didnt do music for Bard Tale... that was Clint Bajakian..

• 8 months later...
The full version uses iMus for its soundtrack.

Here are all the music files I could find:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZII4RBM2

Please let me know if you know the actual names for Hell1 through Hell6 and Heaven1 through Heaven6

Can you tell me how to play the files, they don't seem to have any extensions.

Sorry for my ignorance.

Edit: Seems I had to dump them to a .lab file and use SCUMM revisted to play them. Never mind ^_^

• 5 years later...

Many thanks to bgbennyboy's, the lazy i am but with his comments and software i ripped all the major ambient audio tracks from Afterlife. I didn't include small tracks (except nice one), 'cause it can be interesting only for extreme fans :p

P.S. also thanks to SyntheticGerbil! I'm sure i would drop it all without your encouraging "went ahead and looked through all of the files anyways" :D (P.S. For those who will do it yourself, know, that on the step 7 all the audio files will have names from 65538 till 69329)

I have converted files to .mp3 and uploaded it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?6xydmfyrxx05y8i

Audio seems a little unclean to me, but it was so after ripping, maybe it's the same in the game. I don't know, if it can be helped :p

If you're interested in tracks like "theme 04", i suggest you searching for raga :) (i think some tracks were inspired by indian traditional music)

Archived