Home

Gadget ideas

Maxstate

I was playing with Rusty and Ripley today and Rusty was shooting charged DEMP shots at me when it hit me; EMP weapon as a gadget!

It could be wrist shot and bought for a number of points, it would be self recharging and have the same effect and GFX as a fully charged DEMP2 shot.

It could deactivate weapons, drain their ammo or stop people from shooting for a minute. It could also drain shields, knock people over and what not.

Sound good to you guys? Ofcourse it will still be thought about, making it balanced, but I sure as hell think gunners would like this.

If anyone has any other suggestions, post them.

Ehm, what for? I mean, You already can do the same effect with the DEMP weapon itself.

This would be faster, insta-shooting. And if weapons are going to be buyable this would serve as a replacement for people that want guns other than the demp but could use it's effects. Ofcourse, balance issues will be thought of not to make this overpowered and the DEMP2 useless.

Yes i see what razor is getting at. Like the engineer in ET has pliers to construct/repair stuff. And the medic has syringes for reviving teammates and can toss health kits. Or the Covert Ops has binoculars by default (everyone else gets them though when you get level 1 battle senses).

"An experience and class system" <-- RP system

No.

Kinda ensi, if I understood everything I've read and heard, we're supposed to get one class from which we choose guns and gadgets or Lightsaber styles/bonuses and forcepowers. The more you kill, help, heal, shoot, rearm or the more objectives you do, flags you take etc. etc. will give you more points or exp to buy new weapons/gadgets/skills.

Since when does buying things or having classes make it an RPG? Is Counter-Strike an RPG? Is FarCry an RPG? Last time I checked, they aren't. Yet have these feature(s).

As far as the Demp2 goes, if the Demp2 effect is made for a gadgit, then I say remove/replace the Demp2 itself. Or change the Secondary fire. Maybe the secondary fire could be a high-powered close-range shock?

• 3 weeks later...

Quoting myself here for 2 new ideas:

More, you know the forcefield thingies that noone uses except for being an asshole? How about you turn them into personal shields or shield upgrades? You can buy up to 3 of them and you can use them to instantly fill up your shield counter again, though you'll be open with no shield at all during +/- 3 seconds after you press it.

Well first a fully starwars-ish thing, the jetpack has a rocket on it, how about giving people the opportunity of firing that rocket with the press of a button really fast? Would be cool

Also taking more from the Dune Universe I was thinking of having poison darts or melee weapons tipped with poison that are buyable.

I got this from when Feyd(I think) was at the Arena on Giedi prime and had to fight a captured Atreides gladiator and he used 2 daggers; 1 white clean one, 1 black one with paralyzing poison on it. [/Nerd] :p

I like the idea of using the rocket on the jetpack, but it's possible that it's not properly modeled to be able to do that.

As for shields, I'm not sure they're really Star Warsy, at least in a personal force field sense. I wouldn't mind field generators and such thou. But, it might be cool to be able to drop a generator that dome shields the area, forcing players into close quarters combat.

Poisoned weapons, not sure about them. Beyond jedi lightsabers and a few melee skills, I don't think players would really use them.

Also, cloak seems to sometimes just refuse to work. I think if we tweak cloak a bit and make the user FULLY invisible a la Mindtrick that it would not only be used more but would also be a good plus for snipers. I also think that a shot to the back of a jedi coming from a cloaked sniper should do a lot more damage.

To counter this I suggest also giving gunners "optimized sensors", which would for a small number of points nullify the use of a cloak and mindtrick.

Since when does buying things or having classes make it an RPG? Is Counter-Strike an RPG? Is FarCry an RPG? Last time I checked, they aren't. Yet have these feature(s).

Yeah, just because it has a few RPGish elements doesnt make it an RPG. traditional RPG's are more turn based rather than live action (which I dont like). Having a few RPG like elements in live action games has only helped rather than hindered in my opinion. I love games like Deus Ex, but this idea is still a pretty far cry from the RPGness of that games setup.

The problem with adding a class system is even if you don't intend for it to be RPG. They WILL flock to it like vultures. The only thing that keeps them away from MB2 is the Last Man Standing/5 minute rounds.

ForceMod 3 is a perfect example of this.

And once you start pulling in RPG feedback you can kiss any type of meaningfull balance suggestions goodbye.

You'll be coding emotes for all eternity.

The problem with adding a class system is even if you don't intend for it to be RPG. They WILL flock to it like vultures. The only thing that keeps them away from MB2 is the Last Man Standing/5 minute rounds.

ForceMod 3 is a perfect example of this.

And once you start pulling in RPG feedback you can kiss any type of meaningfull balance suggestions goodbye.

You'll be coding emotes for all eternity.

Well, that would be one why to get more players in, but yikes! That just shows that we'll have to be more careful in planning our gameplay "uniqueness" as a mod than I thought. I mean I wouldn't mind our mod being a little more RPG than MB2, but I don't want players flocking here for the wrong reasons. If they want to make a true RPG out of our mod, then they should learn how to code and literally make one.

Archived