Home

TSL: Guns and Endgame

Zagadka

I keep trying to find ways to play through the game with different styles... I've done light and dark jedi/sith to death, with sabers, with Force powers, etc etc. I want to do a party based on ranged weapons. The feats are in place (Close Combat, Precise Shot), but there is one thing terribly lacking in TSL: endgame guns! Hell, even midgame guns!

At about the point where you get a saber, guns immediately go obsolete. Blaster Pistols stay around the 1-12 damage range, 5-15 when properly upgraded. Blaster Rifles aren't much better. The only saving grace is that some of them do freaky damage types, like sound, but that isn't much when you have sabers that do Unstoppable.

So, with that in mind, I ask with humility, if anyone can make better endgame weapons. I mean, with my current char (Weapon Master), I'm doing insanely high attack rolls and 20-70 damage (more if I used third party mods more). At the same time, a char with every pistol feat is doing around 10-30. The distance bonus for ranged weapons isn't that great.

I'm not saying that a blaster should be as powerful as sabers - the game is sorta based around them and customizing them - but they should at least be an alternative.

One weapon I've thought of is a heavy blaster, req Blaster Rifile Specialization, base damage 15-30, upgradable.

I'd really like to see some decent pistols, as well. Maybe, if possible, some kind of additional option for Force users to concentrate on pistols.

To sum it up, I'm sick of sticking with my Saber/Force/melee characters for everything, and having my ranged compatriots get eaten alive.

At about the point where you get a saber, guns immediately go obsolete. Blaster Pistols stay around the 1-12 damage range, 5-15 when properly upgraded. Blaster Rifles aren't much better. The only saving grace is that some of them do freaky damage types, like sound, but that isn't much when you have sabers that do Unstoppable.

I'd say the top of the line blaster pistols can be quite powerful and dangerous if upgraded primarily for damage. For example, using the most powerful Holdout Blaster, Blaster Pistol and Disruptor I can remember:

[b]All weapons upgraded for max damage with[/b]:
Mandalorian Chambers Mk III
Pure Rylith Power Cells
Targeting Scopes Mk V 
2d10 (cell), 2d8 + 1 (chamber), 3 (scope) = [b]8 - 40[/b] dmg

[b]Weapon                      Dmg base    Property Dmg      Total Dmg[/b]
-------------------------   ---------   ---------------   ------------------------
Elite Watchman Blaster      1d4         1d10              10 - 54 dmg/hit
Micropulse Blaster          1d8         1d8 + 2           12 - 58 dmg/hit
Mandalorian Disintegrator   1d6         1d6 + 2 + 2       14 - 56 dmg/hit

So, if for example you dual-wield a pair of micropulse blasters you can deal 12 - 58 damage per shot without using any combat feats or feats boosting damage, multiply by 2 since you get two shots per round for dual wielding. Add a permanent +8 for 20 - 66 damage per shot if the blaster wielder has the Precise Shot V feat. Using the Rapid Shot feat and Master Speed for 5 shots per round and you'd be able to deal 100 - 330 damage each combat round (every 3 seconds), provided that all shots hit and enemies don't have shields or damage resistance. Focus on Dexterity and you'll hit most of the time, in particular if the party leader has decent charisma as well.

Not too shabby in my opinion, even if not quite on the level with a max-upgraded lightsaber. But lightsabers are supposed to be exceptional and you can attack someone with blasters before they can fight back if they are melee fighters themselves. :)

Blaster rifles are somewhat lacking though since they are twohanded and can't be dual-wielded, losing one attack each round.

If you still need even more powerful guns it's not too difficult to modify some of the existing ones to deal more damage and save them under a new name. Open the UTI files for the guns in KotorTool's item editor and go to the properties tab, you can add bonus damage of varied types there.

EDIT: I am referring to the first post, stoffe posted while I was typing XD

What are you talking about?

I will now write what my HK-47 has equipped (Upgraded, but no third party mods):

Micro Pulse Blaster

Energy 9-55

Attack +7

Defence -1

Critical 20-20,x2

Mandalorian Disintergrater

Unstoppable 6-16, +8-18 Energy

Attack +5

Critical 18-20,x2

He did have a Mandalorian Heavy Repeater with well over 70 energy damage, but I removed it and used these instead. My blasters are by no means obseliete.

Archived