Home

Not many games?

Gordan Freeman

Guest DarthMaulUK

Unfortunately, the actual playing online community is extremely small. Earlier bugs combined with the fact that Gamespy is totally NOT community friendly (ie racist remarks, swearing, spam) has driven many offline.

The good news, for the future is, that many are now moving away from Gamespy after finally realising how poor it is - too late for Empire at War and the upcoming expansion, that might kick some life back into online gaming.

DMUK

I'll say it again: LucasArts should have its own servers a la Battle.net or even AoM's Ensemble Online. I will never play a game again on anything like The Zone or Gamespy, and I can only assume that many other players feel the same.

The strength and life of a RTS is largely based on its multiplayer capabilities, and few companies have understood that.

No mods that have a large online community?

Mods and RTSs don't go that well together. The good players play a RTS online because of the competition. They want a good rank and win percentage. These statistics obviously only work for the "vanilla" game. That's for most good RTS, at least. I don't think EaW and gamespy use a ladder system anyway, and you can't have big mod communities if the game itself doesn't have a big pool of players.

The number of games that you see in the lobby is deceiving. Although the online community is small compared to some other games, it's still active enough to be loads of fun. Please keep in mind that once a game starts, it is no longer displayed in the lobby list, and it takes longer to play a game than it does to set up a new one. So, at any given time it's likely that there are several times the number of active games than what you see in the lobby (and quick match games don't show up at all, but there's people playing them).

I've played since the very beginning. I know most of the familiar faces that play at the same time of day as me, and I still see new people every time I play. Weekends are usually the most active times. Lately, the biggest problem I have when I get online is that too many people want to play with/against me at the same time, and I have trouble finding time to play games with all of them. If you're new, the best way to get into games is to avoid the unpleasantness in the lobby as much as possible, and make friends with people you encounter often. The ones you see repeatedly will most likely be the core players and there's alot you can learn from them. Don't piss any of them off either, because most of them know one another, and news travels fast about troublemakers, spammers, trolls, etc...

Welcome to the family, see you online, and have fun!!

PS: Darth54, every quickmatch game is automatically logged on the official ladder for EaW. There's a button in the game itself (it's the 'Arena' button) that will show you your own ladder profile page in gamespy arena.

PS: Darth54, every quickmatch game is automatically logged on the official ladder for EaW. There's a button in the game itself (it's the 'Arena' button) that will show you your own ladder profile page in gamespy arena.

I have officially underestimated EaW's multiplayer then :spin:

Might be because it took me so much time to actually get pass the log in screen. Or because I only played a single MP game :D

Devs are coming to change the way they handle online play for RTS games. Take a look at Relic, who broke down and created their own matchmaking service for Company of Heroes and soon Warhammer.

I also think part of the reason for a "small" number of players is the fact that this game, for the conquest mode anyway, is much more in depth than your standard game and takes longer to play. If you were just skirmishing, then not so much.

• 4 weeks later...

Most evenings there is 100+ players online (yeah, still pretty small). I believe that FoC will help out a ton with the bugs and overall online playability and we will see some of the old players come back. Should be a great time. As it sits there are few times I play when I can't get a game because of too few players.

Archived