Home

problem with EAW starting...

fortune faded13

every time i start up the game, durring the screen that says "STAR WARS EMPIRE AT WAR" it stops and goes back to my desktop. it doesnt have any exception errors and it doesnt tell me whats wrong.

so i thought it might be because we just installed a new antivirus thing a few days ago. its called Norton Internet Security. and the game hasnt worked since ive had it. is there something with the internet security causing it to do this?

please help me out.

I have used Norton internet security all my life and no problems with empire at war. With both computers i have. But try this, first uninstall empire at war and that norton then first install norton then empire at war. Sry cant help eny more info.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I also have the problem where every time I start the game, after the screen that says "STAR WARS EMPIRE AT WAR" it stops, goes black and then goes back to my desktop. No error message comes up. I followed the troubleshooting guide, but that was no help as the 'Launch Analysis' tool won't work (something about binkw32.dll?) and I've tried uninstalling and even went back to the store and swapped for another copy of the game but...nothing! Please help!!!

• 4 weeks later...

when i start eaw with the sweaw icon i get binkw32.dll not found so i downloaded it and put it into the windows system folder but that didnt do F all so i took it out (there is also one in the eaw gamedata folder). iv tried everything with the anti virus/firewall and nothing works plz help cos im well pissed off

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I also have the problem where every time I start the game, after the screen that says "STAR WARS EMPIRE AT WAR" it stops, goes black and then goes back to my desktop. No error message comes up. I followed the troubleshooting guide, but that was no help as the 'Launch Analysis' tool won't work (something about binkw32.dll?) and I've tried uninstalling and even went back to the store and swapped for another copy of the game but...nothing! Please help!!!

Microsoft introduced security patch KB917422 around September to fix a "critical" security flaw. Securom confirms that this patch is incompatible with their anti-piracy software and that they don't have a fix yet. There's a hotfix from Microsoft that may solve the problem, but I haven't tried it. You could also uninstall the patch, but you'd be nuts to do that on a computer connected to the internet. Sorry I don't have a solution for you.

I never had a problem with EaW until recently when I had to put in a new HDD into my laptop. Its definately a securom issue because I had an issue with DoW as well which is now resolved and I am using all legit discs. If I launch EaW using the launcher it does not start, and if you go into the folder and try to start it using the application icon, it does nothing either. What I found does work is use the 1.03 NO CD exe. The game launches and still works as 1.05. I dont have a 1.04 or 1.05 NO CD patch but they would probably work as well. Thanks for letting us know exactly what the cause is KC.

• 1 month later...

the same thing is happening to me

i think i will try to uninstall it then reinstall it but i am concerned because i dont want to waste all that momory on my computer

does uninstalling it then re installing it waste memory or recycle/reuse memory

for me the analyse computer works though

• 3 months later...

I am having problems too. I press the empire at war sign in the my documents, and a popup comes up saying that it can't find binkw32.dll file. I have reinstalled it a billion times, but it always ceases to work. Would some one help me?

P.S. I went up north with my laptop and it worked, but the internet didn't. I also got it to work a few days ago. Maybe a problem in the background?

Archived