Home

What Jedi games have had the best realisted saber figthing techniques and combat.

Windu Chi

What Jedi games have had the best realisted saber figthing techniques and combat.  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What Jedi games have had the best realisted saber figthing techniques and combat.

• Episode III:Revenge of the Sith
    • Jedi Knight Academy
    • Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

I have put foward this intriguing question because since Lucas Arts is in the process of making another Jedi theme game.

I will like to them to put all their effort in this game by making this one the best ever, by pulling all the strings needed to be pull.

I have seen the demostration of the new force powers that they intend to have present in this new jedi game and I am extremely impress with it.

If this demo is to be believe, then they seem to be on top of things concerning the force powers and force abilities that I have been wishing to since Jedi Knight Academy.

But I have yet to see a demostration of the lightsaber combat figthing techniques and any new martial arts features that was present Episode III: Revenge of Sith the game.

I realy hope they are't just focusing more on force powers and not lightsaber combat figthing techniques.

Episode III had the best lightsaber combat figthing techniques than any other prior jedi theme game since.

The figthing techniques that are in Episode III: ROTS game have are so damn good and realisted that its combat physics with weapons have bested all other figthing games with weapons out there, I believe.

The pitiful combat I have seen in other simlar games like Japanese samurai theme games that have weapons are so unrealisted and artificial that is is laughable.

I believe Episode III at present have the most realisted looking saber combat and physics ever that will make the saber combat in the movies prequels almost equal in comparison.

The saber combat isn't the only thing going for Episode III the AI is extraordinary the best AI I have ever interact with ever.

For those of you who have or have'nt play this game yet; I will advisied those who have play this game to play on mutiplayer in vesus mode and set difficulty level on hard and you will see what I mean by extraordinary.

The AI actulaly learn your skills not just by playing the game once but it stores your figthing patterns each time you play; the AI for each jedi character adapts to your figthing patterns like a human will do.

But Episode III does have it's fawls.

You can't wall run or force jump like you could do in Jedi Knight Academy and

can't throw people in pits or commit suicide like you could do in Jedi Academy.

So I hope to see in the next jedi game a more advance and more realisted lightsaber figthing techniques and combat in general, by improving on the combat features present in Episode III.

:lsduel::lsduel::lsduel::cheers:

Woah that's nice. Want to share specific points in the combat that make the game fun?

The realisted lightsaber combat that closely matches the movie prequels (Episode I,II,and III) lightsaber combat is what makes the game fun to still play even with some of it's flaws.

The force throw power is another ability what makes the game fun too.

So when I play Episode III it is a little like watching lightsaber combat in the movies

I enjoy realism in games not the arcade fake experiance.

Like for example, the realisted lightsaber combat that Episode III portrayed.

I would say that each game brings some good qualities of lightsaber combat, with Ep 3 being the best by a slight margin. I'd say the idea system would take elements from each game. Outcast/Academy had the finer control of the saber in terms of the path of the swing, and Ep3 has a nice blocking/combo/moves system. Adding elements of Ep3 to JO would help get rid of the swing-dodge strategies, and retain the freer movement that Ep3 lacks.

Yeah, but in Episode III it was really cheap because I kept attacking my opponent with the same attack over and over forcing him to hold the block button. If he'd ever try to attack he'd have to let go of the block button and get hurt. So sometimes it would last forever just me attacking my opponent and him blocking. And occasionally his finger slips off the button so he gets hurt. So they'd have to fix that. And also Star Wars on the Wii... that would probably be the most realistic.

After replaying MotS yesterday the saber combat isn't as good as i remembered. I never really clicked with the Outcast style of combat, and always remembered the JK style more fondly.. though I now think a lot of that was rose tinted spectacles.

Ob1 has some interesting concepts actually. I only just played it as it got pretty bad reviews, but a few things in it are pretty cool. The level design and misssions SUCK, but the combat is quite fun (though a bit too repetative). It would only really work on a console controller though.. isn't the ep3 game also best on console controllers?

(The thing I liked most was the "force modifier key" idea. That might work well in any upcoming JK game. )

I was pretty much joking when i said KoToR.. it looks the most like the prequels.. but its a totally different kinda game really.

As for the future.. i'd hope that a Red Steel type game would be the ultimate saber game..

Yeah, but in Episode III it was really cheap because I kept attacking my opponent with the same attack over and over forcing him to hold the block button. If he'd ever try to attack he'd have to let go of the block button and get hurt. So sometimes it would last forever just me attacking my opponent and him blocking. And occasionally his finger slips off the button so he gets hurt. So they'd have to fix that.
That's where timing came in. There were certain points where you could counterattack and do significant damage because the attacker was not defending. There were also other ways out of that, using the force and otherwise.

Yeah, but in Episode III it was really cheap because I kept attacking my opponent with the same attack over and over forcing him to hold the block button. If he'd ever try to attack he'd have to let go of the block button and get hurt. So sometimes it would last forever just me attacking my opponent and him blocking. And occasionally his finger slips off the button so he gets hurt. So they'd have to fix that. And also Star Wars on the Wii... that would probably be the most realistic.

You right ! The people who was responsible for Episode III blocking system really strewed it up.

The computer does the partial directional blocking; you don't have no control over it.

I hope in the next Jedi theme game they don't make that stupid mistake ever again.

I hope that they make it in this new JK liked game that they have a option of manual blocking in 360* all angle directions, that will truely determine your skills in saber combat.

After replaying MotS yesterday the saber combat isn't as good as i remembered. I never really clicked with the Outcast style of combat, and always remembered the JK style more fondly.. though I now think a lot of that was rose tinted spectacles.

Unless you were thinking of some mod, like Art of the Lightsaber or SBX...

I have this little theory that due to the direction of Force Unleashed (It's all in the name man) Lucasarts is gonna divert most if not all of its focus on lightsaber combat to the inevitable Wii exclusive. Given the difference between the systems it makes a lot more sense than trying to adapt Force Unleashed to Wii. The saber combat abilities would be limited due to it's origins as a generic control title and the crux of the game, the outrageous force powers, rely so much on all that fancy new horsepower based technology that they will probably not work near as well on the Wii.

As far as my opinion on the best saber combat... I really gotta go with JK. Even though I haven't played ROTS, just watching the trailers I saw it went in a more generic direction with the combat. The thing with JO and JA is every fight is specifically YOU. You control everything, and although due to the inherent limitations of control this means you can't do certain things, what you do is always intentional and purposeful.

This is why I look to it more as a model of what the Wii model should follow. It would take the specifics of your movements to the next level. Whereas JK combat is based on more of the full body motion to attack and avoid (you know, twirling around to swing your saber a certain way cause it'll either hit or block an oncoming attack, that type of vague fighting) with the Wii the body movement has the ability to be separated completely from the saber attack. The nunchuk can control all the aspects of travel and the wiimote is weapon based. Since the Wiimote is basically the FPS genre's Jesus, this further shows how well suited the Wii is for Jedi Knight's ideal of Jedi combat. JK's FPS elements are practically built in already.

I have this little theory that due to the direction of Force Unleashed (It's all in the name man) Lucasarts is gonna divert most if not all of its focus on lightsaber combat to the inevitable Wii exclusive. Given the difference between the systems it makes a lot more sense than trying to adapt Force Unleashed to Wii. The saber combat abilities would be limited due to it's origins as a generic control title and the crux of the game, the outrageous force powers, rely so much on all that fancy new horsepower based technology that they will probably not work near as well on the Wii.

As far as my opinion on the best saber combat... I really gotta go with JK. Even though I haven't played ROTS, just watching the trailers I saw it went in a more generic direction with the combat. The thing with JO and JA is every fight is specifically YOU. You control everything, and although due to the inherent limitations of control this means you can't do certain things, what you do is always intentional and purposeful.

This is why I look to it more as a model of what the Wii model should follow. It would take the specifics of your movements to the next level. Whereas JK combat is based on more of the full body motion to attack and avoid (you know, twirling around to swing your saber a certain way cause it'll either hit or block an oncoming attack, that type of vague fighting) with the Wii the body movement has the ability to be separated completely from the saber attack. The nunchuk can control all the aspects of travel and the wiimote is weapon based. Since the Wiimote is basically the FPS genre's Jesus, this further shows how well suited the Wii is for Jedi Knight's ideal of Jedi combat. JK's FPS elements are practically built in already.

The name of this game is not going to be named the force unleashed.

I don't know why people keep calling the game force unleashed,

we don't know what it is going to be called yet.

Lucasarts have't said what the game is going to be called.

Also if that was going to be the title it won't be a very good one for a jedi base type game that suppose to have a good story to it.

That title will make the game more like Jedi Power Battles,

that game of course was a terrible game.

If their idea is to just focus more on force powers and much less on combat and lightsaber combat in this game then they should shove that stupid idea up their asses and cancel the game.

Until they come up with much more better ideas then that.

I'm pretty sure the Force Unleashed is the working title... i definately remember the developers refering to it as that ina few interviews.. and saying that the central pitch for the game was based around that concept.

So what is it? Right now the game is known only as Star Wars, but the team members in the demo room (and there were a lot of them in there) kept referring to their new technology as the "Force Unleashed," so that's the term we're going with until we hear otherwise.

That said, a lot of the concept art apparently seems to imply it might be about vader hunting down hjedi.. which is a game many have wanted to see for years.. its just too early to say witht he info we have.

I think LA is going to dump some rubbish on the Wii though.. they don't seem to be very fond of Nintendo at the moment.

Agreed.. which is why i remembered liking the JK one better than JO.. i always found the JO one a little too random, but that probably just me being rubbish. In hindsight the JK one is a bit too simple. Maybe you can't have everything.

What about the MovieBattles lightsaber combat? I haven't played it, but I've heard that it is pretty good.

YEah, thats what i was thinking. I uninstalled JO/JA a long time ago, so i can't try it.. but it sounds like a mix between Ep3 and JO.

--

Really Ep3 is a totally different type of game..its basically a ninja gaiden style button masher.. from a fixed third person perspective and with canned combos. It woud only really work on the console as it would require analogue control and lots of buttons.

If LA are going to make their next jedi in that style i'd hope they make it more like Prince of Persia or Ninja Gaiden and less like ep3.

JO on the other hand is basically and FPS.. you ARE the character.. rather than them being a character you control on screen. Where you look, they look.

This leads to less cinematic battles.. but also to a feeling of greater control, association and depth. For me at least.

I like console button mashers.. but very view of them feel "real".. most are just entertaining fun.

However games like Half Life, Thief, JK, Deus Ex.. they all seem to manage to be more than fun.. as you actually feel much more involved.

If they do go for a console game then maybe they could learn something from ob1.. the combat in that actually felt like it had potential.. but the whole game was bodged, the story and level design was terrible, and it just felt unfinished and unpolished. Still, if they put some effort into it who knows..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived