Home

[FIC]Heart of Deception

I changed the style because the plot that I had planned required the separation of key people and I would have gotten confused as to who was what. Besides, it was easier to get more descriptive in third person. [sneak mode]Maybe someone else is writing this[/sneak mode]. First person is very difficult to do. I might do another piece but that is somewhere within the planning stages of my chaotically organized brain. Glad that you liked the chapter. I had a good time writing about Atton and his little sprat. If you notice Morgan is three, Tulre is four and Lilah is two. Funny huh? Well I'll have chapter 8 up ASAP, or when I start on chapter 9. That is my rule: never post a chapter without starting the next.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 8

It was evening by the time Kirabaros could talk to Karas about his reasons for coming back. Atton had put Morgan to bed and had joined them and T3 was powered down in the corner. Kirabaros felt at ease with the former scoundrel at his back. He showed it by not saying anything until Atton came back from putting boy Morgan. As soon as everyone was seated on the sitting mats, Kirabaros spoke softly, “I know that you know of what I said in the Senate and I am aware that it could be construed as treason given my track record but you must understand that the Outer Rim worlds are screaming for blood.”

Atton, ever straightforward finished, “In short, they want Revan’s head on a platter and hero here wants to keep some form of law and order.”

Kirabaros cocked his left brow, the scar from the war becoming more noticeable. Karas maintained a stoic face as only Avalonians could do but inwardly he was relieved that Atton didn’t waste time on the Bantha crap. Kirabaros did the same when it suited his purpose and he came to expect it from him. He replied, “That is true. After all Revan is one of our people, in a manner of speaking, and she is entitled to certain rights.”

“Look,” Atton began, “even if she does come back, there will be those who will try to kill her.”

“He’s right Karas. If we aren’t careful, there will be bloodshed. I don’t know about you, but I have seen enough of it to last a lifetime,” Kirabaros looked at Karas intently.

“What do you suggest my old friend?” Karas asked in the manner in which one asks a friend. “Obviously you feel something else is at stake and I know you like to cover all possible angles.”

Kirabaros was hesitant to answer. He didn’t have it all thought out yet and even more so, he couldn’t keep the vision that he had of himself being tortured out of his mind. He had figured that whoever it was wanted him to give up Revan…and the children. He couldn’t forget surge of anger he felt either. He felt that history was trying to repeat itself. Sure this whole thing had Revan’s name on it but it reeked of being a personal vendetta against him but also the Jedi. Seeing that Karas was waiting for an answer, he swallowed back his fear and gave a vague answer, “I can’t say but I need a place where one could get lost in. Maybe the place where we found the crystals?” He looked at Karas in the eye.

Karas saw that Kirabaros was going to keep people on a need to know basis. Whatever it was, it needed people not to know things. When Kirabaros asked for the place they discovered on a mission a year ago he knew what he was to do. He returned Kirabaros’ gaze and asked, “The ‘sector’?”

“The place where we got lost,” Kirabaros confirmed.

“Right. I’ll take care first thing in the morning. If you want to head out in the morning, there are some stallions available.” Karas had switched the conversation to show that he gave his word.

“Thank you. We’ll be taking the boy with us so we may need some additional equipment,” Kirabaros said as if the decision were final.

Atton said nothing during the entire exchange that happened. He didn’t say anything when Kirabaros assumed that they would be taking Morgan in the morning. The last two years spent in the occasional company with Kirabaros plus the two years into the war taught him that when he spoke like that, it was best to trust his judgment. He often thought his ideas were crazy, but they worked even if something didn’t go as planned. He knows something’s up. He plans to hide something or someone. Mental definitely but a good friend. Atton hid these thoughts with his usual Pazaak game in his head much to the amusement of Kirabaros who was hiding a smirk.

After Karas rose from his mat to go attend to some business or other, Kirabaros asked Atton, “Do you trust me?”

It was an odd question to Atton but it wasn’t without merit. He replied, “You know I trust you. You may be mental at times but you always come through.” He had his brow conformed in a puzzled frown.

“Do you trust me with your ultimate treasure?” Kirabaros asked again but more softly.

“Is that why you asked about a place where someone could get lost in?” Atton replied with a question.

Kirabaros gave a slight nod. “I have a feeling that interested parties may want to use some form of leverage, especially with Force sensitive children.”

“Then I trust you.” Atton watched as Kirabaros turned his head so he could rise. He said softly, “I never blamed you. She had a will of her own and she died for something worth fighting for.”

Kirabaros said nothing but glanced at Atton, stood up and walked out of the room to head in the direction of his quarters. Instead of going to bed, he went to one of the balconies and gazed out at the stars. He couldn’t say anything to Atton; he never had after that battle when she died. Some things were just too hard to put into words.

“Marmar, can we go to Aunt Reva’s tomorrow?”

Michaela looked at her little sprat just as he was getting ready to go to bed. She looked at him as if he were in trouble but she asked suspiciously, “Why? Do you plan on doing something else to HK like reprogram him?”

“No Marmar. I punish HK when he’s too mean. Besides Dada is coming home. He’ll be heading to visit Aunt Reva.”

Michaela regarded her offspring with an amused and loving look. She wondered how he knew his father was coming home and moved to ask, “How do you know that young man?”

“I just know Marmar,” Tulre replied with a devilish smile. It looked just like the ones Kirabaros threw at her when he was up to something, especially his teasing.

“Well if you behave and go to bed, we’ll leave in the morning and you can play with Carth.” She smiled at the boy who beamed back at her.

Tulre ran up to his mother, gave her a hug and kiss and ran off to bed. His mother watched him leave with amusement but also concern. She wondered if her husband knew the extent of his son’s affinity to the Force. She got up from the rocker that she had been sitting in to follow her son to tuck him in. When she got to his room, he was sound asleep dreaming his dreams. In his bed she saw one of the little toys that he and his father had built and tucked firmly in his arm was a stuffed toy.

The toy was one of two that Kirabaros and Carth had won in a bet against each other at a different festival when Tulre was still a baby. It was a funny incident because both won not because of skill but of sheer stubbornness and it involved trying to hit a target or something. It was rather cute and rather ugly, for a wolf. Tulre kept it on his bed in a safe spot. Seeing her son clutch it made Michaela smile at the memory. She made sure he was covered and closed the door to his room. She whistled softly and Kapu came trotting up and laid down in front of the door.

She walked back to the common room and sat back down in the rocker. She rocked gently and picked up the sewing that she had laid aside. She continued to sew late into the night.

Maybe I wanted it that way igyman. ;)

Still thanks for playing grammar police. I guess someone has to. I am just having way too much fun with this one. My imagination is running wild with my various baddies. Of all the fics I've read, the baddies don't seem to have a personality like they are stuck there in order for the hero thing to work. I don't know but have seen a few good baddies where you can feel the buring hatred, the betrayals, the twisted nature. Heck I was modeling Draconis as one who is evil but thinks he is doing the galaxy a great service by ridding it of Kirabaros, the taint in his eyes. I better stop because I am on a roll with another chapter.

More friendly banter between Kirabaros and Atton. I couldn't resist but it is necessary.

Chapter 9

Morning at the Academy had Atton finding Kirabaros standing at an at ease position facing the rising sun. Reaching out through the Force Atton could tell that he trying to calm himself. He heard the noises last night and wanted to ask about it when morning came. Right now he just watched his friend stand there for a few minutes before turning back. He was almost to the door when he heard a voice said gently, “You wanted to see me?”

Atton turned to find that Kirabaros had turned to face him. He looked at him with his amber colored eyes that had tiny flecks of green near the pupils. Atton gave a reply, “Just wanted to see if you need anything.” Pausing for a moment, he continued, “The stallions are ready and Morgan’s ready to go.”

Kirabaros stood there still looking at Atton. His whole posture asked if there was anything else he wished to say. Instead, he said, “Alright. Breakfast first and then we move out.” He then walked towards the door. He knew that Atton wanted to ask if he had any nightmares and he wanted to tell him but he kept it inside. Later, he thought, later I will say something.

Two hours later, they were getting ready to leave. Kirabaros was adjusting straps to a strange contraption. When he was finished, he handed it to Atton with a smirk on his face. Atton took it and asked, “You got to be kidding me right?”

“You know any other way to carry Morgan?” Kirabaros replied with an endearing smile that was annoying.

“I was expecting something that didn’t look like a Bantha pack,” Atton replied as he slipped it on his back.

“Relax, amante. Didn’t you say that you wanted to keep him close?” Kirabaros had used the Avalonian word for friend as he lifted Morgan and slid him into the seat so that it looked like he was going for a piggyback ride. Kirabaros looked at Morgan asked, “Don’t you want to be close to your Papa?” and he smiled.

“Yes!” came the excited answer and Morgan wrapped his arms around Atton’s neck in a tight hug.

“Well it looks like you’re stuck with him,” Kirabaros smiled at Atton and gave him a hand up onto the Saluki stallion.

“I kind of figured that thank you very much but it looks like I’m stuck to you too,” Atton retorted in good humor.

Kirabaros mounted his stallion and turned it towards the road to head towards the villa. He whistled and T3 beeped and began to follow as he led their party down the mountain. As soon as Atton caught up to him, Kirabaros said, “You know we aren’t glued together. I’m just askin’ you to stick around for awhile and I’m sure Revan would like to see Morgan again.”

“So you’re sticky and sneaky. I guess that makes you sweet as candy and a Jawa,” Atton teased. It was a bad joke of course but he liked having friendly banters with Kirabaros.

“Ouch. You classed me as a Jawa,” Kirabaros pretended to be hurt. “Well, I guess I deserved that since I rigged your lightsaber to spark before it lit.”

“Yeah and I’m still nursing scars,” Atton smiled. “So how long will it take to get to where, well, where are we going?”

Chuckling, Kirabaros replied, “Well, we are going to the villa though I am surprised you didn’t pick up on my hint about Revan. You’re usually quick to spot those.” Atton gave a slight scowl while Kirabaros smiled. He continued, “We are going there because I need to lay it all out on the Pazaak table, the risks, the whole nine yards.”

“But you’re not gonna tell her everything,” Atton raised the question.

Kirabaros flushed slightly. Yep, they know me quite well, he thought with a slight smile. He replied, “I will tell what is happening, with all the details. Now we should probably speed it up if we are to make it by dark.”

Atton took that to mean that the conversation was over. Besides Morgan didn’t need to hear this. He replied, “Alright then. Lead the way fearless leader.”

“I thought that’s what you called Darius but I’ll take that as a compliment,” Kirabaros smiled. He told T3 to double time it and nudged the stallion into an easy canter.

Morgan snuggled into his seat as his father nudged his stallion into a canter. His little boy mind eagerly anticipated seeing the friendly faces he had met when he was younger. Mostly he was content to be with his father and he let it be known to Atton by snuggling into his back. Atton felt the content not just from the snuggle but from the emotion spilling from the boy. Atton just smiled and gently used the Force to induce him to sleep. Sweet dreams, my son.

Chapter 10

The room was dark, dreary and stank like a wet Bantha. The room was rather small and was full of plasteel canisters and crates that were full of whatever the rust bucket was shipping to Avalon. Jaqrand tried to ignore the smells as he made himself more comfortable in a small corner of the cargo hold. He wrinkled his nose as he lit one of his cigarras and breathed in the clove smell. He settled down against his pack and relaxed. Twenty thousand credits and I get the seat next to the fat guy or in this case, the cargo hold, he thought ruefully.

A slight noise sounded in the hold. Jaqrand turned to look for it with a bored expression on his face. Out of one of the empty came a…mouse. Jaqrand shook his head and kicked at the beast, which squeaked and scampered off. Taking a long drag, he pulled out the datapad that Keegan had given him and flipped it on. He scrolled down to the image of his target. Looking at the image, he said aloud, “You better be worth it Jedi.”

For the past two days he had been confined to the cargo hold, except to use the refresher, traveling to Avalon after he found out that his quarry had already left for the system. He paid good money for no questions asked to the captain of the cargo vessel for passage to Avalon. It was one of the few Republic merchant vessels that had the coordinates to the system. The rest were Avalonian and they weren’t talking. There were a few Republic vessels that wouldn’t offer either. Jaqrand suspected that they could smell his intentions about a mile away except for the captain of this ship. Amazing what money can do, he thought.

Now here he was sitting in this damned cargo hold smoking a cigarra and just waiting. Bounty hunter life was the good life since you always made creds on the lives of other people. It was good if you had your own ship, as he had, but it was worthless when he couldn’t get the coordinates to the system. He tried getting them but for some mysterious reason, he forgot them and he lost the datapad that he had them written on. Yep, being stuck in a cargo hold was definitely worth it, for the amount that his client was paying him for.

Placing the still lit datapad where he could still see the runt of a Jedi he was supposed to go after, he pulled his pack out from behind him. He pulled out various devices that he had used on his previous victims and inspected him. He looked at an extremely powerful Force inhibitor that even the strongest of Jedi couldn’t break. He smiled in pleasure at the last victim that wore it and sighed. Oh how she screamed when she realized that the Force abandoned her. She practically begged me to end her life of course I did more than that. Yes it would come in handy.

His personal favorite was one that he had used only once. He pulled out a vial that held a strange liquid substance in it and thought about the last time he had used it. After that first time, he never used it again. He was waiting, just waiting for the right person to use it on. From what he had heard of his quarry, it might be a good time to use it. He checked to make sure that the vial was undamaged and sealed properly as well as checked the Force inhibitor. As he finished his inspections, he looked once more at the datapad and smiled. He thought back to a time when he had a partner.

“What do we do now boss? Make her beg for mercy?” Jaqrand asked smiling a sadistic smile. Though his name wasn’t Jaqrand then; it was something else. It was…

“We break her. Our fearless leader wants this one alive,” a voice sounded from the shadows. “Use that new concoction that you made.”

“Right away,” and Jaqrand pulled his newest creation out of a box. It was rather bulky but he regarded it with pride and joy. He tested it to make sure the needle worked properly. Chuckling, he placed the contraption neck to the Jedi’s neck at the base of her skull. The Jedi let out a short gasp as the needle stuck her and injected her with his concoction. Both he and his partner exited the room, leaving the Jedi still strapped to the table.

When the screams began and the incoherent words of fear, panic, rage all rolled into one, his partner asked, “What was in that vial you gave her?”

“Something that will make her live her worse fears, nightmares, anything that she hides like all of them liars. It is not narrowed down to any one plant source but several. What makes it special is that there is no cure for it. It embeds itself deep within the mind.”

“As long as she lives,” was all the response he got.

Jaqrand sat there thinking about that time and held up the vial again. He thought about something while gazing at the vial. His face contorted into a wicked smile and made a mental note to ask about a particular object on Avalon when he got there. Still looking at the vial he said to himself, “You taught us well old friend. I often wish you were here to share the spoils but you left like a coward. Still you taught us all well and maybe we shall meet again.”

Draconis was kneeling in front of a small altar in his quarters with his hands folded in prayer. His knees were tucked under him and his rear rested on his heels. He gazed up fondly at the altar, at the various marble plaques that bore the names of family and ancestors. He gave a low bow, placing his ears between his shoulders and touched his forehead to the rung he was kneeling on. Rising back up to his previous position he said reverently, “Honorable ancestors, grant me the strength and courage to reveal a traitor to our great people. Also grant that the children to soon be in our care grow up to honor our ways and disband the taint of the Jedi.”

He finished his prayer with a phrase in Avalonian and rose gracefully to head towards the door. On the other side was Admiral Keegan pacing impatiently and looking as if he were the one the bounty hunter was after. As soon as he had opened the door, Keegan stopped pacing and stood in an at ease position. Draconis just chuckled at him and said, “You don’t have to waste your time on ceremony. You’re not going to impress anybody.”

Embarrassed and angry at the disrespect to his rank, Keegan released his posture to look more casual. He swallowed his anger and responded, “You sent for me Count?”

“Yes I did,” Draconis replied in a lackadaisical manner as he sauntered towards a cabinet in the walls. He paused with his hands on the handles and continued, “It has become clear to me that you are a unique individual Keegan. You have a bit of Force sensitivity around you but it is different than what the Jedi are used to.”

“Curses on the Jedi,” Keegan spat. His anger was evident as he remained rooted to where he was standing.

“Yes I know: they let your homeworld die because of Revan and Malak, blah, blah, but that is not the point. What I am proposing is that you learn techniques to evade and to torture Jedi.” Draconis sounded bored as he said it and wondered how in the world Keegan managed to last this long in the fleet with his anger so apparent.

“They deserve to be eradicated,” Keegan tried to justify it. He hated it when Draconis poked fun at him for his beliefs, making them seem like petty sibling squabbles.

“Whatever. What I am saying is that Kirabaros and the other Jedi he knows will not cave easily. They throw up walls of base emotions to hide what they really are thinking of. I have figured out a way to follow those base emotions and thoughts through the bonds they share and torture them. It hasn’t been tested completely but I aim to try it. It might make all of our targets easier to catch. Call it a mental disability if you will.” Draconis released the handles of the cabinet and turned to face Keegan.

“What does that have to do with me?”

“I am going to teach it to you. I will also help you improve your fighting skills,’ and with a sharp turn Draconis turned back to face the cabinet. He flung both doors open to reveal a collection of weaponry that rivaled what some of the best bounty hunters and mercenaries had. “Trust me. You’ll need it.”

“I don’t trust you but I’m in this too far so I will see what is going on,” Keegan retorted and stepped up to better view the cabinet’s interior.

“Good. We start now.” Draconis pulled out a practice blade, a heavy long sword that was double edged. He held it with a powerful grip in his left while he tossed easily a similar blade to Keegan whose arms literally dropped at the weight. Draconis laughed, “You are definitely too soft for my taste. You need to shape up. Force, even the Mandalorians could hold one of these.”

Keegan said nothing but adjusted his grip on the handle. With as much strength as he could muster, he brought the heavy blade into a fighting stance. This is getting more regrettable by the minute, was the last thought running through his head before Draconis came at him with a swing. He only hoped that Draconis wouldn’t get it into his head to behead him. He looked to see his ‘partner’ grin at him in a sadistic fashion.

Chapter 11

“So Tulre told you that Kirabaros would be coming here?” Revan asked Michaela rather interested. They were sitting out in the gardens having tea and watching the children play with Carth and Dustil, who at the moment were trying to catch them in a game of tag.

Michaela chuckled at what she was seeing. She answered, “Yes. His abilities have manifested at an early age and he never ceases to amaze me. I sense something similar happens between you and your daughter.” She gave a sly grin that was friendly.

Revan looked at her friend through her honey colored eyes and noticed the concern hidden behind the goodwill. It wasn’t easy raising Force sensitive children, let alone powerful ones. Thank the maker for inner strengths, Revan thought to herself. She couldn’t deny it but Lilah had unique abilities too and if trained as a Jedi, she would be a powerful one at best. Keeping that in mind, she asked Michaela, “Do you plan on having the Jedi take him for training?”

“No.” The answer was abrupt and Michaela knew it. She explained softly, “He has his father to teach him and I don’t believe in the forbidden relations for a Jedi. I can see you don’t either.”

“Well that’s one thing we can agree on.” Revan laughed and Michaela joined her over the shared thought. She then said, “Still if they have great abilities and at the rate Tulre’s is manifesting, it can only be a matter of time before any remnants of the Sith or the Rashikians get wind of it and try to take them.”

“I have thought the same thing as well,” Michaela replied after taking a sip of tea. She held the cup in the palms of her hands, resting them on her lap. “Kirabaros can only do so much and next to me and you, the children are his treasure. That is his one weakness. It shames me to admit it but he knows this as well.”

“Then maybe we should make arrangements just in case something happens. Make some place that a person could get ‘lost’ in,” Revan said quietly.

“He would think of something like that but if anything, I learned that plans have to be like playing dejarik. You have to think three to four, even five moves ahead. I don’t think he considered a backup,” Michaela replied.

“What do you suggest?”

“HK can guard them, all three of them. One can hide in the Outer Rim but there are other places as well, like where the power of the Force can mask individuals.”

“I see what you are saying but I think it would be best suited if we discussed it when others aren’t here,” Revan advised.

“Except for Dustil of course,” Michaela replied with a knowing smile.

“What is that supposed to mean?”

“I know that you two have been getting along better since Lilah was born, even before that. He asked about your health when you were getting along in months. I have a feeling my husband had something to do with it but he isn’t talking and I know he has you blocked,” Michaela replied still smiling.

“Alright. Yes,” Revan agreed with a slight frown, “He has been opening up more and we have talked. Though I suspect that Lilah has him wrapped around her finger just like her father.”

“No, it was just seeing the three of you. I saw him as he watched you when Carth came home.”

Their conversation was interrupted when Tulre came streaking by very fast holding something in his hand. He was waving it around like a trophy and smiling a big smile. Behind him was Dustil trying to catch him. He was shouting, “Hey! Give that back!” Even further behind was Carth carrying his daughter on his shoulders and he had an amused smile on his face. She was holding something else and giggling uncontrollably.

Dustil stopped in front of the two women sitting by the table to breath a bit. Tulre was still laughing and begging Dustil to catch him if he could. Dustil heaved a sigh in frustration when he noticed the two women smirking at him. He said, “Hello Michaela, Revan. Is there any more tea?” He plopped down in one of the chairs near the table.

Revan just laughed and Michaela made to pour some tea. She said knowingly, “You know if you let him get away from you, you’ll never see whatever it is again until he ‘fixes’ it for you.” She looked up in time to see Lilah hide the object in her tunic and guessed that Tulre had something else in mind.

“It’s no use if I can’t catch him,” Dustil was still trying to breathe as Carth sat down and put Lilah on the ground. She scampered over to her mother who picked her up and placed her in her lap.

“You’ve had some training in the Force. Use it,” Michaela replied as if it were the fairly obvious answer and Dustil missed it.

“I try not to touch the stuff,” Dustil replied. The response was in good humor but there was a hint of the reason why: he was afraid to lash out in anger. It was an unspoken thing amongst the two families but Kirabaros and Michaela couldn’t completely understand why.

“You won’t hurt him. In fact I think he might enjoy a challenge,” Michaela replied with a look of understanding. She then smiled and said, “Besides I think he has different plans for your communicator besides ‘fixing’ it.”

“You know something we don’t?” Carth asked.

“Let’s just say this is more than a ‘catch me if you can’ game,” Michaela replied still smiling. Revan caught the hint and smiled and Lilah began to giggle.

Carth and Dustil were looking at the three across from them. They were curious until a strange sound emitted nearby. There was static but gradually receded into what sounding like someone breathing into a comm. It was heavy and sounded labored. Then a deep voice sounded, “I am the Great Spirit Shang-Li. I have come to claim what is mine.”

Revan and Michaela started having a giggling fit and Lilah was bouncing up and down getting excited. Carth and Dustil were annoyed and began to call out, “Tulre, that’s enough. Come out now.”

“He won’t be coming out. He is my new apprentice,” the deep voice sounded. The breathing was consistent and it was creepy.

“This isn’t a game. I want my comm back,” Dustil stood to try and look for where Tulre may be hiding. Carth just sat and shook his head while Revan and Michaela got their giggling fit under control.

“I am closer than you think.” The voice again sounded but it was closer.

Carth suspected something and asked Dustil to call out again. When they received a response, his suspicion was confirmed. He reached for Lilah who promptly slid over to him. Once she was on his lap, she pulled out of her tunic what looked like a comm. She smiled and said, “Tulre funny. Has bigger surprise.”

At that a tall figure clothed in black emerged. It actually was Tulre sitting on top of HK-47 but you couldn’t tell since the droid’s eyes blinked from under the hood. When the figure got close enough, Tulre pulled it off and just sat there smiling. He said, “You know cousin, you have to have more fun.” He tossed back Dustil’s comm.

By this time, Lilah wriggled out of her father’s grasp and raced to the droid who was bellowing, “Placating Statement: Master, the little meatbag has subjected me to another humiliation. Query: Might I suggest some form of punishment, preferably dismemberment?”

Tulre gave the droid’s head a slight pat and replied in a fair imitation, “Statement: You whine too much. Query: Didn’t I at least threaten to install a pacifist module if you did not comply?”

“Whine too much,” Lilah added.

The adults were just watching amused. Revan liked her assassin droid but there were times the droid’s homicidal tendencies needed to be curbed. She was glad that Tulre was like his father, had a knack for fixing things. Carth just liked having the droid humiliated after all those times on board the Ebon Hawk and Dustil was just glad to have his communicator back. HK responded to the whole scene by replying, “Answer: Indeed, the little meatbag did. He also stated that if I complied he could bring my assassination protocols online. Supplication: It would seem that the little meatbag was attempting some form of bribery.”

Tulre had jumped down from HK and stood next to the droid and waited for the punishment that was to come. Revan said, “Well HK, I think you have been had yet again though I am surprised that Tulre thinks he could bring protocols online that have been deemed illegal.”

“But Aunt Reva, it’s easy. Besides Dada will want to make use of his services eventually. He’ll tell you,” Tulre said. “With the voice mods I did to the communicator, it could make HK sound more mean and scary.”

Missing the use of that, Revan and the others caught on the part where Tulre said that Kirabaros would want to use the droid. HK made his opinion know, “Objection: Master, I am loathed to have the Handsome Meatbag touch me in a similar manner that the little meatbag. It makes me wish to press a blaster pistol to my behavior core and pull the trigger.”

“Stop it HK,” Revan replied. To Tulre she asked, “How to you know that?”

Tulre replied, “He’ll tell you when he comes.”

“And when is that?”

“He’s coming,” Tulre turned to face the north. He pointed his finger just as three figures came over the hills, “From over there.”

Yes. HK is exasperated at being in the company of Tulre and Lilah. It will be worse when little Morgan joins in though he's more of the quiet type. HK playing babysitter methinks but that is another story. The next chapter will be out soon.

Spin-off for KOTOR. HK-47. Once Assassin Droid, now the nanny of all children of the Galaxy :lol:.

Yes Hk will play babysitter. Believe it of not, the kids like him.

Chapter 12

Kirabaros and Atton had eased the pace of their stallions as they came over the last set of hills that led towards the villa. T3 warbled a grateful statement to the change of pace. The poor droid had been forced to keep up a rapid pace with the energetic stallions and had nearly tripped over obstructions along the path. His warbles were met by a response from Atton, “You aren’t wimping out on us huh ya trash compactor.”

T3’s response brought a response from Kirabaros, “Whoa there T3. I know you’ve called Atton a lot of things but that is a little extreme don’t you think? I don’t think being called a Hutt…”

“Hey! We’ve got a kid here,” Atton interrupted.

“One that you’ve put to sleep for the ride,” Kirabaros pointed out.

“Only for a little while. He should be waking right now,” Atton retorted. As if on cue, Morgan yawned and woke up.

At the same time, Kirabaros caught sight of his son pointing a little finger in his direction while facing his mother, aunt and uncle, and Dustil. He urged the stallion into a trot and headed towards the group who stood waiting. Atton followed suit and T3 gave what could be considered a groan and followed. When they were close enough, Kirabaros dismounted and asked, “Where is my Kanamoto?”

Upon hearing his pet name, Tulre ran forward and engulfed his father into a hug he said, “The Four Winds have brought you home.”

Atton had managed to dismount with the strange contraption still on his back. He was about to struggle out of it by himself but was helped by Kirabaros who disentangled himself from his son to lift Morgan out. Tulre got ecstatic and nearly shouted his greeting, which was in Avalonian. Morgan responded in the same language much to Atton’s surprise. The two went running only stopping to look at Lilah who nodded and followed and they headed towards more likely Lilah’s room. The adults watched, two of them in surprise, until Atton broke the silence, “Well I guess we don’t have to worry about keeping them amused.”

The table was cleared and the Kirabaros had lit the fire in the common room. HK and T3 were minding the children and there was a relative calm about the house. Michaela and Revan were in the kitchen making some tea while the men were talking quietly. Kirabaros was near whispering, “This is a dangerous situation Carth. You and I both know that she will say yes and go to Coruscant.”

“Well you have to convince her not to. You’re the diplomat,” Carth responded in a heated whisper.

“You know I can’t do that. The best I can do is to make sure that she is under Avalonian guard. Hell, I’ll do it,” Kirabaros responded solemnly. “I gave you my solemn oath the day you two wedded.”

Carth was reminded of a promise that a younger version of the man standing before him made. He had asked Kirabaros to stand up beside him and Kirabaros made the oath customary of that honor. Carth sighed at the memory and said, “I trust you. I always did and still do. I…I just…”

“Hey, he knows, we know,” Atton interrupted. “You do what you can for those you love.”

“Well said,” Kirabaros replied raising his left brow at Atton, “In order for this to work, it depends on total trust, secrecy and synchronization. Karas has a special place lined up but I’ll tell you three later.” Just then Michaela and Revan came from the kitchen with the tea. Settling down in the chairs, Kirabaros gave the rundown on what happened in the Senate.

“Well, there is little choice but for me to go back to Coruscant,” Revan said in that determined way of hers. “Of course Kirabaros will play bodyguard and there’s the council to speak to at Tyan-yu and the matter with the children…”

“Council of Lords will be easy enough,” Kirabaros began but got strangely nervous as he continued, “The kids can come with. They will be fine at the Temple and it will be easier to keep an eye on them.”

Under other circumstances, Carth would have exploded at the thought. After what Kirabaros revealed, he figured that it was his way of trying to keep them safe. Knowing this, he managed to keep his temper down as he asked, “You feel that it’s safer to keep the kids close?”

“Only if HK guards them,” Revan answered firmly. “I’m sure Atton will agree.”

“Uh, yeah,” Atton replied. Kirabaros had already asked him if he trusted him. Apparently he meant the walking tin can with homicidal tendencies. True he was worried at what he was going to do with his son. He didn’t want to leave him again but then he realized that part of the reason for this absurd suggestion was because of him. He cast a look at Kirabaros who, for the briefest of moments, looked tired and a lot older than his 25 years. He said, “I think that it would wok. The ship will be full of Avalonians and they are more willful than a Corellian. Anyway, our fearless leader knows what he’s doing.”

Kirabaros cast a grateful smile at Atton. He said tiredly, “The reason I suggest this and, I’m not gonna lie, insist on this is that it is the best way to protect them. For now.”

“You’ve never let us down before so we’ll play it your way,” Carth agreed. Until they knew what they were dealing with, it was probably best that the kids were with them. “Perhaps we should get some sleep if we are to get to Tyan-yu in the morning.”

Everyone else muttered an agreement and went to pick up their various sprats and put them to bed. Kirabaros was the only one who didn’t leave with them but instead trailed behind and watched as the sprats were put to bed by their respective parents. Michaela was waiting for him in one of the guest rooms, staring out the window, looking at the stars. He came up behind and wrapped his arms around her waist and hugged her while kissing her right temple gently. She leaned into his embrace and asked softly, “You sure about everything?”

“Not everything. This is different,” he replied, equally soft. He then changed direction by saying, “Something will happen more likely to me.” Her silence allowed him to continue, “I need you to take the reins, be that strong woman that I first met.”

Michaela didn’t face her husband but responded by pressing her body harder into his. She had noticed his tiredness and guessed that he had been having nightmares again. She didn’t expect that he would say that he might not make it but he didn’t need to be reminded that the future is always in motion. It was just one of possible futures. She replied, “By the spirit of my sisters, I will protect our little sprats.”

“Sprats?”

“Lilah, Morgan, and Tulre. I love them all.” Michaela heard the chuckle deep from his chest. She then said, “I suppose you want to do a few things before coming to bed. You better do them now. I’ll be waiting.” She then turned around and gave her husband a kiss. He responded with his love poured into the kiss. They hadn’t had that many tender moments together but whenever they did, he always showed her his love for her and their son.

After she broke the kiss, Michaela watched as he left for more likely the communications room. She looked down at her right wrist at the draigon pearl bracelet he had given her. The years against her skin had polished the pearls to a smooth and shiny surface that gleamed in the moonlight. She wondered if the woman who wore this before her had the courage to face anything, even the death of her loved ones. Will I be strong enough to face what comes? Can I protect that which is precious to me? She sat thinking of this while waiting.

Archived