Home

Q&A answered

Guest DarthMaulUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

Here are the answers to those questions asked earlier last month! Enjoy!

Answered by Pat Pannullo (FoC Designer)

Wedge2211 - The new Underworld faction in Forces of Corruption has many abilities that it seems the Rebel Alliance could have had in Empire at War. For example, they have some ability to hide their bases and units from Imperial scanners, and they can travel clandestinely through Imperial-occupied systems (unless, I presume, the Imperials have deployed an Interdictor). With these game play features now implemented into the game, will the Rebel Alliance also get some ability to build secret bases or hide their forces from Imperial searches, making them a sort of 'middle of the road' faction with a play style in between the subterfuge of the Underworld and the military might of the Empire?

The Consortium is not really hiding or using stealth to travel – they are bribing officials to allow them to pass through, and whenever they do so it costs them. Each of the factions has their own style – the Empire uses heavy firepower to overrun by brute force; the Rebellion uses raids to bypass combat and hit fast, and The Consortium spends vasts amounts of credits to “break the rules”. We’ve further distinguished the Rebellion from the Empire by making the Rebellion very much more “hero-centric” in the expansion. In the films, the Rebellion was really all about the people and heroes that served the cause, and that is reflected in Forces of Corruption.

deriko - Will you guys be adding the ability to choose what units start out a space battle? Like if you let us choose our units at the loading screen of the battle.

We have added a “pathfinder” slot to the fleet positions (as seen in a planet’s zoomed-in view). Whatever you put in that slot will be the first thing that warps into a space battle.

Wolfenstein1942 - Will the Underworld faction use all the pirate troops in the original game? (For example, IPV-1, Pirate Missile Soldier) If so, do you plan on adding some more hard points to the Pirate's frigate?

The Zann Consortium only has one shared unit with the old pirate faction, the Interceptor Frigate. It is, however, heavily modified and has a different hard point configuration among other differences. We try to keep the hard point number roughly equal within a class of ship (corvette, frigate, capital ship) so the hard point amount on the Interceptor won’t change much.

jedi jim 1989 - Will the empire and rebels have similar abilities to the corrupt side, seeing as they would be able to by them from corrupt rebels or empire worlds, shouldn’t this mean that they have the technology as well?

There is some overlap in abilities (the TIE phantoms can use cloaking for example), but in general the Consortium’s abilities are unique to the side.

Darth Andrew - How will the second Death Star and the Eclipse be destroyed in battle?

The Eclipse is only available in the story campaign, and it really doesn’t get destroyed. The DS2 can be destroyed by Rogue Squadron in a similar fashion to Red Squadron’s role in the original game, and the Consortium can also use IG-88 to nullify the Death Star’s threat.

Fetid Corpse - What are the names of the pirate ships? And what are those crazy helix projectiles they are firing?

Let’s see….Starviper Fighter, Vengeance Frigate, Crusader Corvette, Keldabe Destroyer, Interceptor IV Frigate, Skipray Blastboat and the Aggressor Destroyer (I think that’s all of them…) The helix projectile is a plasma blast from the Aggressor.

shadowsfm – Will the rebels and imperials getting new abilities to existing units?

Some of the abilities for existing units were changed or shuffled around slightly for balance and playability. In most cases, however, the new abilities went to new units.

Jmaster3265 - What made you decide to pick this as an expansion? Why not pick clone wars or a new hope, empire strikes back, or return of the jedi?

A New Hope was pretty much covered in the last game J We tried a lot of different concepts when we first started talking about the expansion; some were more well received than others. The Clone Wars really didn’t resonate with a lot of people. Going forward in the timeline seemed like a good idea, but honestly there are tons of games and other media that have covered ESB and RotJ any number of ways. We decided to take a different approach – cover the timeline from episode IV through and slightly beyond Episode VI, but from a different point of view. The “corrupt” faction seemed to be a popular idea, so we ran with it. This also gave us a lot more freedom with unit and hero creation since the new faction was entirely EU. And it allowed us to put in a bunch of canon and EU stuff for the original factions that fans were asking for.

ARCLeader - I heard that there are going to be some new turrets. Could you tell us a little more about them and how they are used, like Rocket Turrets and Mobile Defense units (the turrets that can move).

Mobile defense units can each produce three “extensions” unique to each faction. While some of them are offensive turrets, others are defensive structures or a specialty items. For example, the Consortium MDU can build a cage full of Ysalamiri that negates the Force abilities of any Jedi/Sith that get near it. The standard build-pad turrets for the Consortium act as you might expect, though they do not have the same choices that the Rebels and Empire have.

Apocalypse|TFL - Will be it possible to play 2 v 2 v 2 using all 3 factions in online skirmish? If it is possible, will it also be possible to team up two factions (for example: a clan war match - TFL v EOE/NSE TFL being empire and EOE/NSE being reb/underground in a 4 v 4)

Yes, three-way battle team-ups are possible, and new maps provide for three ground bases and three space stations in skirmish (both multiplayer and solo). You cannot ally different factions together, but you can create mirrored games (such that all three bases could be Empire if you wanted).

Mrsparkle - Is Lando Calrissian in the expansion? I Have not seen him on a list of heroes yet.

Lando will not be making an appearance in the Expansion.

slornie - will the new campaign only be for the Underworld faction, or will the original empire and rebel campaigns be extended to take into account the longer timescale, with more units, etc ?

The expansion’s story campaign details the adventures of Tyber Zann and the Consortium; while the Empire and Rebellion are definitely present, there are no extensions to the original campaigns.

Darth Anarch - Will there be more Galactic Conquest maps? And will you release any in future patches as well?

There will indeed be more galactic conquest maps, both multiplayer and solo play. Releasing more in patches is a possibility, but there is nothing definite at this time.

ImpElite - Will there be an increased Population cap or no pop cap?

We will look into the population cap issue as balancing the expansion continues. It is highly unlikely that the pop cap will be removed, since it is a large part in keeping the game playable on as many machines as possible.

DarthMaulUK – Will any new features be added to the multiplayer aspect of the game?

As mentioned above, we are adding mirrored games to the mix – you can now play Rebel vs. Rebel, Empire vs. Empire, etc. We’ve also added some new features to the maps themselves that should add some interesting tactical situations.

LIVE DEV CHAT COMING SEPT 29th!

This sucks! Why can't we play with eclipse in Galactic conquest? why only stroy campaign? No point in buying this exspansion now.

So... the only reason you ever considered getting the expansion and paying $35 was so you could blow stuff up with a big ship? If you want it so badly in galactic conquest then just mod it into the game.

I would only be mildly dissapointed if the Executer was not in galactic conquest. I'm sure it is though. (Why didn't someone ask that question?)

lol, no offence but that does sound kinda well..........a waste of money, as said paying $35 for the expansion just for one ship, ypu may aswell download a mod for the standard e@w, there are plenty out there wiv the eclipse:D. saves buying and expansion for one ship. and i dont no what the exchange rate is but i checked (i live in england) and its gonna cost me the equvilent of $38 :(

i dont care though coz this game looks so cool.......just cant wait till its out

The Executor is available in galactic conquest and space Skirmish.

Speaking of the Executor wasn't it supposed to be Piett's new flagship in the game? In a screenshot taken by Cain on the PFF Piett was still using the Accuser.

Also, I noticed that the Death Star 2 can be destroyed by IG-88. I like how the game designers implemented EU from "Tales of the Bounty Hunters".

Guest DarthMaulUK

Never has an expansion offered so much. New units, new faction, more maps, larger maps - lots! It will certainly add more appeal to online as well

DMUK

Speaking of the Executor wasn't it supposed to be Piett's new flagship in the game? In a screenshot taken by Cain on the PFF Piett was still using the Accuser.

Also, I noticed that the Death Star 2 can be destroyed by IG-88. I like how the game designers implemented EU from "Tales of the Bounty Hunters".

There's debate on the whole Executor/Piett/Vader thing. I'll let you know what finally happens when the game ships :D

We try to do all of our research when we add a character - we read about the IG-88/Death Star thing and had to work it in.

YES! MY QUESTION WAS ANSWERED! :D I was wondering when these questions would be answered (wasn't the topic to post a question created about 2 months ago?).

No suprise how the DS II will be destroyed by the Alliance, and I kinda remember IG-88 somehow trying to take over the Death Star. Could someone refresh my memory? :D

Oh. Thanks for setting up this Q&A opportunity, Petro and DMUK. :)

I totally agree. I mean, one lousy (ok i admit, pretty cool) ship really isn't the point of the expansion. It's going to improve so many elements of the game. There's the fact that the weakest point of EaW, ground battles, is being revamped with bigger, better maps and other such improvements. There's orbital bombardment, customizable bases, mirror matches, and a WHOLE NEW FACTION for Pete's sake!

However, the thing that excites me about the expansion is that they LISTENED to the community. They could have just slapped STAR WARS on it and have it sell well, but everything that was wrong with the original game is being addressed- that's no accident.

Kuddos to Petroglyph.

And as for the Eclipse? Like i said before, just XML your worries away.

Myself, I'm giving the Eclipse to the Empire, where it belongs.

I mean, i can see where balace would dictate it, but just randomly giving the eclipse to the Zann Consortium is kinda random. I look forward to the story of how on earth they got their slimy hands on that ship!

And one other thing. How on earth did the Clone Wars not resonate with "a lot of people?" Who on earth are those people? I mean, I love the game, but at some point you really gotta do a clone wars expansion. I mean, you saw the Clone Wars animated series, right? Better than the entire prequel trilogy if you ask me.

Really, the clone wars makes so much more sense for this sort of game because the two sides, while being totally different, were still more or less matched as far as resources, fleets, troops, and planets were concerend.

It was an actual war instead of an insurection, and would have been more appropriate.

Wow, i am ranting, and I do apologize. I'll stop now. lol

Petro, keep up the good work!

No suprise how the DS II will be destroyed by the Alliance, and I kinda remember IG-88 somehow trying to take over the Death Star. Could someone refresh my memory? :D

I could just send a link to Wookiepedia but I just happen to be in a storytelling mood.

IG-88 was an assassin droid created for the Empire and almost instigated a droid rebellion. The original IG-88 killed his creators and uploaded his violent consciousness into three other duplicates of himself, each called (in the order of their awakening) IG-88B, IG-88C and IG-88D. After killing all of the scientists in the facility he fled the Imperial Holowan Laboratories with his three "brothers" by hyjacking an Imperial transport and headed for Mechis 3.

Immediatly after landing on Mechis 3 he uploaded his consciousness into all of the droids of Mechis 3 (a planet which had only 30 humans on it and billions of droids) and made the planet his base of operations. He then set into motion a "droid rebellion" to kill all organic creators and take over the galaxy.

He sent droids from Mechis 3 to different planets around the galaxy, each droid obediant to IG-88A. He also sent his counter parts to different parts of the galaxy to lead the Imperials that were searching for him on different trails away from Mechis 3. They became bounty hunters and were commisioned by Vader to capture Han Solo but all 3 of them were destroyed by Boba Fett during the hunt.

Meanwhile IG-88A intercepted a convoy heading to Endor to deliver the computer core to the death star for installation. IG-88A uploaded his A.I. into a duplicate computer core and was trasported to Endor.

After the "computer core" was installed he became the death star. During the Battle of Endor he had planned to send an order to all of the droids around the galaxy that had origonally came from Mechis 3 and instigate his droid rebellion but he was destroyed mere seconds before he could send the order when the death star was destroyed.

I totally agree. I mean, one lousy (ok i admit, pretty cool) ship really isn't the point of the expansion. It's going to improve so many elements of the game. There's the fact that the weakest point of EaW, ground battles, is being revamped with bigger, better maps and other such improvements. There's orbital bombardment, customizable bases, mirror matches, and a WHOLE NEW FACTION for Pete's sake!

However, the thing that excites me about the expansion is that they LISTENED to the community. They could have just slapped STAR WARS on it and have it sell well, but everything that was wrong with the original game is being addressed- that's no accident.

Kuddos to Petroglyph.

And as for the Eclipse? Like i said before, just XML your worries away.

Myself, I'm giving the Eclipse to the Empire, where it belongs.

I mean, i can see where balace would dictate it, but just randomly giving the eclipse to the Zann Consortium is kinda random. I look forward to the story of how on earth they got their slimy hands on that ship!

And one other thing. How on earth did the Clone Wars not resonate with "a lot of people?" Who on earth are those people? I mean, I love the game, but at some point you really gotta do a clone wars expansion. I mean, you saw the Clone Wars animated series, right? Better than the entire prequel trilogy if you ask me.

Really, the clone wars makes so much more sense for this sort of game because the two sides, while being totally different, were still more or less matched as far as resources, fleets, troops, and planets were concerend.

It was an actual war instead of an insurection, and would have been more appropriate.

Wow, i am ranting, and I do apologize. I'll stop now. lol

Petro, keep up the good work!

agreed, and maybe they'll make a clone wars ex pack or something like Republic At War.

I think you guys are misunderstanding how the Eclipse will be used in the game. In one of the recent designer diaries it was stated that the Eclipse will be under construction, not a buildable, playable unit.

I'm guessing that there will be a land mission that takes place in it's interior and the Eclipse itself will be treated more like a planet or an asteroid base rather than a ship in the game. It has been stated that some of the new land maps will be interior settings. A mission in the Eclipse and one in the Death Star II would be obvious places to have interior maps.

I think you guys are misunderstanding how the Eclipse will be used in the game. In one of the recent designer diaries it was stated that the Eclipse will be under construction, not a buildable, playable unit.

I'm guessing that there will be a land mission that takes place in it's interior and the Eclipse itself will be treated more like a planet or an asteroid base rather than a ship in the game. It has been stated that some of the new land maps will be interior settings. A mission in the Eclipse and one in the Death Star II would be obvious places to have interior maps.

Maybe so, but as you can see in the videos released so far it will clearly also be able to fire at units in space, much like the Death Star can fire at planets.

I don't believe in that diary it stated that "It will be under construction", but that "It will not be completed", or in other words, not fully functional. If you look at screens with the Eclipse, it is at different planets, not just one particular place.

i think its the devs way of making it less of a one ship armarda. i mean if they make it so its 'not finnished' and only its superlazer works then they eliminate the need to balance it against normal ship such as putting in turbo lazers and ion cannons. by making the eclipse not complated they can just use it as the deathstar 2 will work. thats what i think, mite be completly rong but thats seems logical to me

It does look more like the Eclipse is a game mechanic rather than a playable unit. Fine with me. Implementing the Eclipse as a playable unit would cause a horrific imbalance in gameplay, and having it be a cinematic element allows the game to be more flexible in how the ship is discovered, acquired, and used in the campaign. I like the idea of a playable map to storm the ship...

• 5 weeks later...

Im hoping they fixed some of the problems from EaW1. Such as Luke not being able to destroy the death star until they fire the big button. Rebellion able to steal tech from the Empire even though the empire doesnt actually have the tech.

Stuff like that, because once you realize that the rebellion can steal tech u dont have, it kinda takes away a ton of the strategy.

Archived